Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caoc9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2018
floridaman, Thanks for sharing! I have talked with Apple support and there techs have gone through a data dump from my machine. I have also created a new user (without using icloude) and the machine was still heating up. I did not try to leave it in the test-user profile over night (there might be some cataloging etc. that runs when you first create a new user) I will try that. I guess my hopes are with the upcoming software update!

Have you tried measuring you power draw? I would be interested in you usage in sleep...
[doublepost=1521524892][/doublepost]Hi Briax

I have tried that with Apple support, but I won't mind trying it again, thanks!

Regards

Per

floridaman

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
Florida
floridaman, Thanks for sharing! I have talked with Apple support and there techs have gone through a data dump from my machine. I have also created a new user (without using icloude) and the machine was still heating up. I did not try to leave it in the test-user profile over night (there might be some cataloging etc. that runs when you first create a new user) I will try that. I guess my hopes are with the upcoming software update!

Have you tried measuring you power draw? I would be interested in you usage in sleep...
[doublepost=1521524892][/doublepost]Hi Briax

Per
The machine is going to get warmer regardless of which user account is being used. The question is did your fans spin up in high mode after waking the machine? When the machine goes to sleep the fans don't run which to me doesn't make a lot of sense because there are processes running in the background that cause the cpu to heat up. I would think the fans should always be running.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I have now checked the power draw of the iMac in normal idle, idle with screen off and in sleep mode. In normal idle it uses about 100W, idle with the screen off 60-70w and in sleep mode it is about the same as idle screen off, 60-70w."

Once again, refer to my post #2 in this thread.

By your own observation, power consumption with machine sleep DISABLED (but with "display sleep" active) is THE SAME as "full sleep".

The only difference is -- the iMac GETS WARMER IN FULL SLEEP.

So... why not go with my suggestion:
- Same power savings
and
- The iMac stays cool?

The ol' Fishrrman's credo:
"Use what works for you..."

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
OP, why not do a SMC and PRAM reset, followed by complete reinstall of OS only, starting with a full disk format. I cannot believe this to be a hardware issue, and there is no way in sleep mode energy consumption to be that high.

floridaman

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
Florida
OP, why not do a SMC and PRAM reset, followed by complete reinstall of OS only, starting with a full disk format. I cannot believe this to be a hardware issue, and there is no way in sleep mode energy consumption to be that high.
These are great recommendations however none of these things resolved my issues with the fan spin up upon waking the machine. The machine heats to a point of where the fans run in high speed for maybe 45-60 seconds before returning to normal which is 1100 RPM.

alexskoz

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2018
Hi

I have recently bought a iMac Pro base-model. It work like a charm and stays very cold when I use it. However when I leave it, and it eventually goes in sleep mode it slowly warms up (It feels warm to the hand when touching low on the back, not burning but noticeable) to the point where the fans (and they are never noticeable when I use the iMac) starts running at full blast for about 10-15 sec then shuts off. How often that happens when it is in sleep mode is different. But normally if I leave the iMac in sleep mode for about 20min or more and wakes it up, it always starts out with 10-15sec of full blast on the fans that it cools down and stays cold when I use it.

I installed the iMac from a timemachine backup (came from a normal iMac) But I have tried a fresh install on a different partition.

Has anybody experienced this, and did they solve it? I have talked with apple support and when through "all" possible software things that can be done. Reset Varm etc. create new user, create new partition with a fresh install. My next step is to hand it over to a repair shop, but before I do that I would like to hear if others have had a similar issue... For sure it should not start heating up in sleep mode and then run totally cool during normal use.....

Thanks for you inputs...

Regards

Per

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
These are great recommendations however none of these things resolved my issues with the fan spin up upon waking the machine. The machine heats to a point of where the fans run in high speed for maybe 45-60 seconds before returning to normal which is 1100 RPM.
Are you sure? If a stock system, i.e. clean install with no apps on it, no other partitions etc. does not sleep as it should, then the machine is defective. Either that or there is a bug in High Sierra.

floridaman

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
Florida
Are you sure? If a stock system, i.e. clean install with no apps on it, no other partitions etc. does not sleep as it should, then the machine is defective. Either that or there is a bug in High Sierra.
Three machines later and they all do the same thing. I highly doubt that 3 machines are defective.

Reactions: rraven

floridaman

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
Florida
Hi

I have recently bought a iMac Pro base-model. It work like a charm and stays very cold when I use it. However when I leave it, and it eventually goes in sleep mode it slowly warms up (It feels warm to the hand when touching low on the back, not burning but noticeable) to the point where the fans (and they are never noticeable when I use the iMac) starts running at full blast for about 10-15 sec then shuts off. How often that happens when it is in sleep mode is different. But normally if I leave the iMac in sleep mode for about 20min or more and wakes it up, it always starts out with 10-15sec of full blast on the fans that it cools down and stays cold when I use it.

I installed the iMac from a timemachine backup (came from a normal iMac) But I have tried a fresh install on a different partition.

Has anybody experienced this, and did they solve it? I have talked with apple support and when through "all" possible software things that can be done. Reset Varm etc. create new user, create new partition with a fresh install. My next step is to hand it over to a repair shop, but before I do that I would like to hear if others have had a similar issue... For sure it should not start heating up in sleep mode and then run totally cool during normal use.....

Thanks for you inputs...

Regards

Per
FYI-10.13.4 update has fixed this problem however I am reading now about some new fan issues since this update.

pnerd

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2013
SF Bay
I have the same issue but on a Mac Pro 2013 that started with the release version of 10.13.4. When machine goes to sleep, after some time, the machine will run warm and stay that way. After debugging for a week (PRAM and SMC reset, toggling Energy settings, other voodoo), I have it narrowed to the "Wake for Network Access" feature. With that disabled, machine does not get hot.

Would love for others to chime in.

floridaman

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
Florida
All the suggestions on this thread are good ones but the bottom line is if a Mac goes to sleep it shouldn't overheat regardless of the energy saver settings. The IMac Pro is a flagship machine and simply should not have this issue and all the other issues that have been brought up. Apple is definitely lacking in QC control and I suspect that IMac Pro sales will be affected by all of these bugs and plagued with returns.

nubero

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Zurich
Hi

Thanks for you inputs...

Regards

Per

Do you have two sliders, one for display and one for computer on the iMac Pro?

satellite111

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2018
I have a new iMap Pro and have noticed that it gets very hot when asleep; and when you wake it after sleep, the fans often burst to start cooling it down.

Using iStats, there is no appreciable spike or burst in cpu usage when asleep, however, the fans do shut off completely. Using energy saver preferences to prevent sleep "fixed" this issue for me. I do wish there was a better solution.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
If the machine is heating up during the sleep that is completely ridiculous, and something is seriously wrong, either with the hardware, macOS or other software. For everyone's sake it hopefully isn't a design flaw.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
So far mine is cool when asleep, no fans on wake. Its a BTO 10 core with Vega 64. Updated to 13.4 and all the apps are Apple except for HandBrake and RapidWeaver. It does seem to briefly wake the external monitor once or twice during a 10 hour sleep.

Nemensi

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2017
I have a new iMap Pro and have noticed that it gets very hot when asleep; and when you wake it after sleep, the fans often burst to start cooling it down.
Do you have the option "Wake for Network Access" checked or unchecked? If unchecked my iMac Pro goes to sleep (fans go off), but every minute a "Dark Wake from Normal Sleep [CDN] due to EC.WOL XGBE/Network" event occurs. You can see this in the Console's var/log/powermanagement log. It doesn't happen if the option is checked. It's very strange because the iMac Pro should ignore every WOL event if the option is unchecked. These Dark Wake events keep the iMac Pro awake and without the fans it gets warm and warmer.

This behavior was introduced in 10.13.4. I have reported this bug to Apple, but unfortunately there is still no fix in 10.13.5 Beta 5.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Off topic, but About every two hours I see a

DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] due to EC.RTC/Maintenance

DeclUser BGTask SRPrevSleep kCPU kDisp

About 30 seconds later the iMac enters sleep again.

Whats annoying is that every time this happens the iMac wakes the external DP monitor.

I haven't check what RTC/Maintenance is yet.

Wake for network is off.

2018-05-21 00:20:27.837505-0400 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleTopCaseHIDEventDriver) [HID] [ATC] AppleDeviceManagementHIDEventService::processWakeReason Wake reason: Host (0x01)

2018-05-21 00:20:27.881326-0400 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleTopCaseHIDEventDriver) [HID] [ATC] AppleDeviceManagementHIDEventService::processWakeReason Wake reason: Host (0x01)

2018-05-21 00:21:24.905804-0400 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.RTC (Alarm)

2018-05-21 00:21:24.905805-0400 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.RTC (Alarm)

Is this RTC alarm bug back in 10.13.4?

Last edited:

randomkaos

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2018
Hi All,

Same thing here. Been working with Apple to get a resolution with no luck yet.
However after several hours on my own I have narrowed it down to the ethernet by process of disconnecting everything and shutting down programs one at a time. If I connect by WiFi no problem. Connect by Ethernet BANG, coming out of sleep the cpu has been as hot as 150 degrees F.

It looks like the internals do not sleep but the fans shut down. Also it didn't do this when 1st purchased in January. I think it started after an update. I'm giving Apple to come up with a fix by end of June, not fixed by then it's going back. Too much money for not working properly.

randomkaos

Last edited:

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
I have been watching the heat/fan issue for several weeks. I was planning to upgrade to a Imac Pro but I live in a very old house (1885) and my studio is in the attic space with sky lights and it can be warm. I have not ha a problem with my 2010 cMP running non stop for years in the crows nest. However I am not sure the Imac Pro can take the heat. According to Macs Fan Control my CPU running at 44C and the room temp is 29C (84F). Is it safe to run the Imac Pro in a room that hits 88F at high noon?

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I have been watching the heat/fan issue for several weeks. I was planning to upgrade to a Imac Pro but I live in a very old house (1885) and my studio is in the attic space with sky lights and it can be warm. I have not ha a problem with my 2010 cMP running non stop for years in the crows nest. However I am not sure the Imac Pro can take the heat. According to Macs Fan Control my CPU running at 44C and the room temp is 29C (84F). Is it safe to run the Imac Pro in a room that hits 88F at high noon?

I would have loved an iMac Pro, but I'm not a "pro" and could not justify the expense. But if I were you at this point I would wait to see how the overheating-while-sleeping is resolved. That's a clear signal of something that is not right. The i7 regular iMacs using max fans under full load is one thing, but the iMac Pros heating up at their time of least load is a serious problem.

randomkaos

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2018
The iMac Pro absolutely blows away everything else. However I have to agree there is an issue and I'm not sure how deep this goes because not everyone has system monitoring software running to watch what is going on with their machine. I used 2 different apps to make sure one is not messed up and both match the temp of the cpu. Also the back of the iMac will throw off a lot of heat in sleep and the cat 5 connected.

Personally I would wait for a resolution. Your choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.