Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBNO

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
I have the same issue but on a Mac Pro 2013 that started with the release version of 10.13.4. When machine goes to sleep, after some time, the machine will run warm and stay that way. After debugging for a week (PRAM and SMC reset, toggling Energy settings, other voodoo), I have it narrowed to the "Wake for Network Access" feature. With that disabled, machine does not get hot.

Would love for others to chime in.

Thanks, that worked for me.

I first turned off Power Nap because the machine was getting so hot while sleeping that the fans were running full blast upon wake. That fixed the extreme heat situation, but the computer was still getting quite warm to the touch while asleep. iStats showed that it was constantly waking up without turning the fans on. After disabling "Wake for network access" in addition to Power nap it seems to be staying completely asleep and cool.

wawnnzxd

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
cn
All the suggestions on this thread are good ones but the bottom line is if a Mac goes to sleep it shouldn't overheat regardless of the energy saver settings. The IMac Pro is a flagship machine and simply should not have this issue and all the other issues that have been brought up. Apple is definitely lacking in QC control and I suspect that IMac Pro sales will be affected by all of these bugs and plagued with returns.

The T2 chip reset smc and nvram steps are new! ! ! !

Follow these steps:
How to reset the SMC on a Mac that has the Apple T2 chip
Follow these steps for Mac computers that have the Apple T2 chip:
Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
After your Mac shuts down, press and hold its power button for 8 seconds.
Release the power button, then wait a few seconds.
Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

Nvram::::
Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart.

On Mac computers that have the Apple T2 chip, you can release the keys after the Apple logo appears and disappears for the second time.

Hope it helps you
[doublepost=1532582184][/doublepost]The T2 chip reset smc and nvram steps are new! ! ! !

Follow these steps:

Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart.

On Mac computers that have the Apple T2 chip, you can release the keys after the Apple logo appears and disappears for the second time.

nvram:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
smc:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295#t2

Hope it helps you

ValleySJC

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
Hi,

I have the same problem. Bought a brand new iMac Pro (10 Core 64 GB Ram), installed the app "System Monitor" to monitor temperatures and CPU load: Machine gets super hot as soon as the screen saver is turned on.

FYI: I had "power nap" and "wake for networks" turned off.

I'm thinking of sending back this machine.

When I talked to Apple service they told me to unplug my second monitor (LG 27" 4k with USB-C and my external audio device RME babyface pro) - but with or without them plugged in - my iMac gets hot - 60 degrees CELSIUS / 140 FAHRENHEIT.

I paid 8000 Dollar for the machine; it was quite an investment for me.

Last edited:

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
Hi,

I have the same problem. Bought a brand new iMac Pro (10 Core 64 GB Ram), installed the app "System Monitor" to monitor temperatures and CPU load: Machine gets super hot as soon as the screen saver is turned on.

FYI: I had "power nap" and "wake for networks" turned off.

I'm thinking of sending back this machine.

When I talked to Apple service they told me to unplug my second monitor (LG 27" 4k with USB-C and my external audio device RME babyface pro) - but with or without them plugged in - my iMac gets hot - 60 degrees CELSIUS / 140 FAHRENHEIT.

I paid 8000 Dollar for the machine; it was quite an investment for me.

Does an external time machine backup drive affect the sleep/heat issue? Is this only the LG monitor affecting sleep mode? Are you running the latest OS for your IMP?

This issue has been on the forum since last year. Apple needs to fix the problem soon. I was planning to upgrade to the same IMP as yours but i will wait now. My studio can get warm and a hot computer will not improve my environment. I am happy to see that Apple is doing all it can for global warming.

ValleySJC

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
Does an external time machine backup drive affect the sleep/heat issue? Is this only the LG monitor affecting sleep mode? Are you running the latest OS for your IMP?

This issue has been on the forum since last year. Apple needs to fix the problem soon. I was planning to upgrade to the same IMP as yours but i will wait now. My studio can get warm and a hot computer will not improve my environment. I am happy to see that Apple is doing all it can for global warming.

I use my Synology NAS system as a back up drive but only start backups manually. The computer is getting hot with and without the LG monitor. Latest thing that I tried was to reset smc and nvram. Thats the latest measure I tried. So far so good.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I'd turned off sleep mode since I got the computer and just had display sleep. I decided to try it today and it indeed gets hot. I also noticed every few minutes my USB keyboard and lights change and my secondary screen wakes up (although with no signal). The cycle repeats every few minutes.

ValleySJC

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
I'd turned off sleep mode since I got the computer and just had display sleep. I decided to try it today and it indeed gets hot. I also noticed every few minutes my USB keyboard and lights change and my secondary screen wakes up (although with no signal). The cycle repeats every few minutes.

I was talking to Apple support yesterday and they asked me to send in my log files of the computer to analyze them. I'm gonna talk to a friend at techcrunch.com, there are more and more imac pro oweners complain about the same problem. I just switched from the Windows world to the iMac because I wanted to have a "carefree" PC - and now this....
[doublepost=1533482269][/doublepost]
The T2 chip reset smc and nvram steps are new! ! ! !

Follow these steps:

Hope it helps you
[doublepost=1532582184][/doublepost]The T2 chip reset smc and nvram steps are new! ! ! !

Follow these steps:

nvram:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
smc:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295#t2

Hope it helps you

It only helped temporarily. When you shut down your iMac pro and turn it on, the heat problem will be there again....

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Just as an update, I woke my computer up, I found about 10 notifications telling me my external drives were removed or turned off without being ejected properly (it happens sometimes even when the computer is awake, but not this much). My fans sped up to 1200-1300 RPMs (from their usual 1100), but they slowed back down really fast after that. You can't hear them either way. The computer is still really hot, much hotter than normal. I forgot to open the Console before putting it to sleep, now it doesn't tell me anything from when it was sleeping.
[doublepost=1533483545][/doublepost]
I was talking to Apple support yesterday and they asked me to send in my log files of the computer to analyze them. I'm gonna talk to a friend at techcrunch.com, there are more and more imac pro oweners complain about the same problem. I just switched from the Windows world to the iMac because I wanted to have a "carefree" PC - and now this....

I've had this iMac for a couple of months now and I've had more bugs with it than any of my other Macs combined (which go back to the 80s). Thankfully though I think these issues so far are fixable via software updates (my other ones were hardware issues).

rraven

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
We have a couple of iMac Pros here. Both exhibit this "get hot during sleep" issue, although the older one doesn't do it consistently and I don't think that it started doing it at all until an update or two ago.

I put the newer one on a power monitor. When I put it to sleep (Apple menu->sleep) the display turns off and the power utilization drops, after 10 or 15 seconds, down to 5 watts or so. It then jumps immediately back up to over 50 watts, despite the fans and display being off. So of course the machine gets hot.

Turning off power nap and wake for network access doesn't make any difference. SMC and PRAM resets don't make any difference. What does fix the problem for me is unplugging the Ethernet cable (as randomkaos also found a while back). WiFi is fine. Ethernet is not. Unfortunately I don't really trust WiFi for things like backups so this isn't a great solution for me. Has anyone else seen this with Ethernet and found a workaround?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
My MacBook Air 2013 model started doing this at some point. It’s an os fault or feature that got introduced at some point.
I have mine clamshell mode attached to an LG monitor. When it sleeps the fans come on. Weird as hell. Not to mention noisy.

Edit

Or it could be tied to Apple Watch?
As I bought one of those. Hmm

rraven

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Either enable "Wake for Network Access" or use an USB-C to network adapter instead of the inbuilt LAN port.

I purchased this one a couple of months ago: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075D8XK5S/

Enabling "Wake for Network Access" didn't make any difference in the sleep behavior.

Using a USB Ethernet adapter, though. Hmm... That would hopefully solve the problem until Apple gets their act together to fix what looks like a firmware issue. I should have known that there would be a dongle involved. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Nemensi

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2017
That would hopefully solve the problem until Apple gets their act together to fix what looks like a firmware issue.
No hope anymore, at least for High Sierra. I have reported this issue twice. Twice it was marked as duplicate and closed. The duplicates were marked as fixed, but the bug remains.

Nemensi

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2017
I have installed Mojave on an external SSD drive (with an iMac 5k) for testing purpose. When booting the first time from this SSD on my iMac Pro I got a message: You have to update the firmware to boot from this drive. It seems that after the firmware update the sleep problems were fixed. No more "Dark Wake from Normal Sleep [CDN] due to EC.WOL XGBE/Network" events with High Sierra at the moment.

Boot ROM Version after the update: 220.200.252.0.0 (iBridge: 16.16.375.0.0,0)
Apple T2 firmware version: 16P375

rraven

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
That's good to hear. I'm wondering now though why Apple Support didn't just tell me "fixed in Mojave" instead of giving me a story about how this was being caused by my router flooding the network with WOL packets (Wireshark showed that it wasn't).

Thanks for doing an early check on this. Thanks, also, for the earlier USB-3 to Ethernet adapter recommendation. I've been using those on both of our iMac Pros for the last month. They've worked flawlessly and eliminated the heating issue under High Sierra.

Nemensi

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2017
The firmware updates fixes this even on High Sierra. I have removed the USB-3 to Ethernet adapter and use the inbuilt LAN again.

Right now I'm very happy with High Sierra. All issues are fixed (at least for me). No need for potentially new trouble with Mojave or one of the next minor updates.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I've said this before, but if the iMac gets warmer "in sleep mode" than when running and idle, I'd just leave it "running and idle" with the display turned off.

Or... shut if off completely.

gpociej

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
I observed that my iMac Pro now waking every 1 hour with event: "DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] due to EC.RTC/SleepService:"

On High Sierra I had events like "EC.WoL XGBE/Network" or "EC.RTC/Maintance" but it was waking every 2 hours.

Something changes but it's not fixed from what I see.
Now I need to check if my DAC still wakes iMac when it's on.

Peter_M

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2018
My IMac Pro still heats up in sleep mode on Mojave ... fun times.

Does Mojave seem stable so far on the iMac Pro? First impression on my MacBook is very positive, better than the High Sierra release.

As far as sleeping mode issue goes, I'm really scratching my head here, as I've never experienced this issue a single time. Does this also happen with no extra cables plugged into your iMac Pro (USB, thunderbolt, ethernet etc.), and using only default macOS settings and no special software running in the background?

Last edited:

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
Does Mojave seem stable so far on the iMac Pro? First impression on my MacBook is very positive, better than the High Sierra release.

As far as sleeping mode issue goes, I'm really scratching my head here, as I've never experienced this issue a single time. Does this also happen with no extra cables plugged into your iMac Pro (USB, thunderbolt, ethernet etc.), and using only default macOS settings and no special software running in the background?
I keep external storage, a keyboard, mouse, and headset plugged into my iMac Pro at all times. This seems to be the crux of the issue.

As far as stability, Mojave runs beautifully on my iMac Pro. The only issue is the sleep mode heating up.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
After quite awhile of expected behavior I am now seeing the hot sleep problem with 10.13.6. I just added an external OWC TB2 enclosure via the apple adapter and that seemed to kick it off. :(

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
I just checked mine around the vents, also warm. Though nothing to worry about . Compared to an i7 model, this thing is cold! :)

ET3SW

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
TX
After quite awhile of expected behavior I am now seeing the hot sleep problem with 10.13.6. I just added an external OWC TB2 enclosure via the apple adapter and that seemed to kick it off. :(

I can confirm something similar. Running 10.14.0 i just added a new TB3 enclosure and noticed my idle temps were hanging at about 50c when normal between 35c - 39c. I disconnected the enclosure and rebooted and temps went back to normal. There was no data on the new drive and machine was idle and process history confirmed nothing was running. So basically from the time i plugged it in till a few hours later temps stayed at around 50c.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Disconnecting the enclosure and rebooting doesn't seem to fix mine.

I'm also finding now that my external drives are not powering down when the iMac sleeps. I may have to try disconnecting everything and reseting things like pram.... :)

Update: Dunno if relevant, the only way this one will stay cool when sleeping is with all the external devices disconnected. When there is a drive(s) connected, it seems to spin it/them up every 30 seconds or so. Power saver is set to spin down disks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.