Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Folks,

I just looked at the iMacs in the Store the other day and really wondered when those huge bezels will go away. When would we expect a redesign of the iMac? I am not so sure about this year as the iMac Pro just appeared with the old design and it would be immediately outdated.

Opinions?

Cheers
Jordie

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Folks,

I just looked at the iMacs in the Store the other day and really wondered when those huge bezels will go away. When would we expect a redesign of the iMac? I am not so sure about this year as the iMac Pro just appeared with the old design and it would be immediately outdated.

Opinions?

Cheers
Jordie
I’m unsure that reducing bezels qualifies as a redesign. I’m also unsure that the line is in need of one. Never been a fan of change for change’s sake, and for my, the screen is big enough already. YMMV.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I’m unsure that reducing bezels qualifies as a redesign. I’m also unsure that’s the line is in need of one. Never been a fan of change for change’s sake, and for my, the screen is big enough already. YMMV.

While I agree that the 27" screen is big enough I am not a fan of the 21.5" iMac. Too small. Perfect screen size for me is 23" / 24". But again the question is more on the bezels which I think are outdated and I don't like at all.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
While I agree that the 27" screen is big enough I am not a fan of the 21.5" iMac. Too small. Perfect screen size for me is 23" / 24". But again the question is more on the bezels which I think are outdated and I don't like at all.
As I stare at the 27” on my work desk and then look at my phone, I definitely agree that simply reducing bezels would further modernize the look of the iMac. Though it’s already an aesthetically pleasing design, reduces bezels wouldn’t hurt.

It’ll be interesting to see how Apple proceeds in the future.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
When would we expect a redesign of the iMac?
I posted something about this a few months ago.

The iMac line is overdue for an redesign. Whether or not it is needed is a good question, but in reality, is a redesign ever needed? I would have been really happy if Apple just kept the G4 iMac design, it is still my favorite Apple design ever.
I am not so sure about this year as the iMac Pro just appeared with the old design and it would be immediately outdated.
This was my thought too.

While the iMac is overdue for a redesign, why would Apple redesign it while the iMac Pro is just a few months old?

I’m unsure that reducing bezels qualifies as a redesign
Why would it not be considered a redesign?

Reactions: Moonjumper

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I posted something about this a few months ago.

The iMac line is overdue for an redesign. Whether or not it is needed is a good question, but in reality, is a redesign ever needed? I would have been really happy if Apple just kept the G4 iMac design, it is still my favorite Apple design ever.

This was my thought too.

While the iMac is overdue for a redesign, why would Apple redesign it while the iMac Pro is just a few months old?

Why would it not be considered a redesign?
IMHO, simply reducing the bezel on a screen isn't significant enough to qualify as such. Just my .02 though.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Opinions?"

The bezel is "larger" because the stuff "behind the screen" requires more design space than the screen itself.

We'll add your question to the heaping pile of complaints "why can't they make the bezel smaller?" ;)

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
IMHO, simply reducing the bezel on a screen isn't significant enough to qualify as such. Just my .02 though.
I guess you have a point. I guess "redesign" should be defined.

A quick search on the internet, it looks like some places consider going to retina iMacs in 2015 as a redesign. I don't.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I wouldn't mind having a larger screen, ie. reducing the bezel but keeping the overall size of the iMac more or less.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
I am not sure if it is required.
It may not require more design space, if it was not so thin.
Some people are as much bothered by thick monitors as you are bothered by bezels. Sacrificing thinness for smaller bezels does not solve anything. Also are bezels a bad thing? I don't really think so. Edge to edge displays are kinda cool, but I'd rather have function over form.

Come on guys, this is an aesthetic issue. It is by definition subjective. I would love it if Apple made a curved 32" ultra wide iMac Pro with a modular GPU slot. But I recognize that use case is limited and Apple doesn't have me in mind for that case.

imac2017mm

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2017
how would the screen be with thinner bezels? would it have rounded corners or square corners?

Along the sides and the bottom they can go to the edge of the screen but I am not sure about the top left right corners... unless they were rounded.

I think computer screens should always have squared corners

hard to explain

imac2017mm

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2017
Like it has been said plenty of times already.... a refreshed design should have come with the new iMac Pro, but they kept it the same... so I don't see any changes. I personally love the design of the iMacs. Who cares about the bezels...

Reactions: willmtaylor

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
Like it has been said plenty of times already.... a refreshed design should have come with the new iMac Pro, but they kept it the same... so I don't see any changes. I personally love the design of the iMacs. Who cares about the bezels...
Externally, internally the beast is a whole different animal. I would not be surprised if the thermal design of the iMP came to the regular iMacs. This would be a massive improvement for them, and would be relatively cheap for Apple to implement.

I know that's not the cosmetic change you guys want, but functionally it would be a significant redesign.

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
Better not, if it is a reason to remove the easy access to RAM. New designs are not always for better, and the results of the last Mac redesigns are obvious, more glue and systems completely sealed for the user.
I think that the only thing which needs a "redesign", in the normal imac line, is the heat dissipation method.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
My dream-come-true would be a curved retina ultrawide 21:9 Apple monitor (1440p resolution retina'd). Now, that would be amazing (so Apple probably won't make one).

Reactions: mdbradigan

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
Externally, internally the beast is a whole different animal. I would not be surprised if the thermal design of the iMP came to the regular iMacs. This would be a massive improvement for them, and would be relatively cheap for Apple to implement.

I know that's not the cosmetic change you guys want, but functionally it would be a significant redesign.
We have posted at the same time similar thoughts.
Fully agree!

Reactions: SecuritySteve

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Some people are as much bothered by thick monitors as you are bothered by bezels.
I never said they bothered me. I was just pointing out that bezels are not required as you mentioned they were.

I'd rather have function over form.

Huh? Having a really thin desktop is form over function.
[doublepost=1521222189][/doublepost]
Better not, if it is a reason to remove the easy access to RAM. New designs are not always for better, and the results of the last Mac redesigns are obvious, more glue and systems completely sealed for the user.

Yea, I worry what a redesign might bring. Apple already took away user-upgradable RAM from many Macs, I could picture a redesign taking away that from the 27" iMacs too.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I never said I wanted a thin desktop monitor either. I just know people who do. :)
Personally, the bezels don't bother me, but if they were gone, it wouldn't make me sad either.

I own the Late 2012 iMac, the first of the really thin ones. It does look neat from a side profile view, but 99.999% of the time, I am viewing the front of it.

As for thickness, I personally wouldn't mind the iMac being a little thicker, if it added to the functionality to it.

Reactions: filmak

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Yes, but unfortunately Apple is viewing the side of it.
:)
I guess it is a sign of how Apple has changed over the years.

It reminds me of the upside down Apple logo on the laptop when it was opened. Things have changed since then.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
OP wrote:
"Opinions?"

The bezel is "larger" because the stuff "behind the screen" requires more design space than the screen itself.

We'll add your question to the heaping pile of complaints "why can't they make the bezel smaller?" ;)

While this may be the case on the 21,5" how can it be true for a 27"? The "Stuff" behind the screen is almost identical and as I said - a 24" without any bezels would be highly appreciated by myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.