Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
They can do it, and tell us that now there is an iMac Pro to better fit to our tasks.
Yep, sadly they could. It would leave a huge gap in their products where if you want desktop components you're forced to pay $5k+.

If they price it correctly (meaning one should be able to buy it + eGPU kit for the price of the current iMac) I might still be interested.

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
Yep, sadly they could. It would leave a huge gap in their products where if you want desktop components you're forced to pay $5k+.

If they price it correctly (meaning one should be able to buy it + eGPU kit for the price of the current iMac) I might still be interested.
A similar thing happened to the mac mini, when Apple "updated" it with a two core CPU in 2014 instead of a 4 core (2012). Of course since then, complete silence...

Reactions: Glmnet1

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
The iMac design is by nature thermally challenged. A redesign with separate box for the CPU/MB with RAM slots, SSD Blade slots and more proper heat sinking for the CPU would be a big step forward. This frees the back of the monitor for thinner bezels and GPU with again proper heat sink. Making the Monitor height adjustable is also needed. In many ways the surface studio is a very good design mechanically and in the direction I wish Apple would go.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
The iMac design is by nature thermally challenged. A redesign with separate box for the CPU/MB with RAM slots, SSD Blade slots and more proper heat sinking for the CPU would be a big step forward. This frees the back of the monitor for thinner bezels and GPU with again proper heat sink. Making the Monitor height adjustable is also needed. In many ways the surface studio is a very good design mechanically and in the direction I wish Apple would go.
It would be good for monitor height and bezels but not for thermal management. The Surface Studio has laptop CPU and GPU and so does every AIO of that kind that I know of.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
I'd take a larger screen and not complain (21:9 retina), but I doubt that is in the cards.

SSD Standard on all models - this should happen unless macOS gets APFS working right on spinning disks.
Newer video card
newer CPU (assuming Intel can make it, their 10nm process is delayed again).
Still access to the RAM door.
How about going to to M2 drives and having those accessible from the RAM Door also?
Keep the SD card slot, but move it to the side or front.
A couple of USB slots on the side for easy access.
Better Facetime Camera/FaceID from iPhone X.
Touchbar Keyboard.
Upgrade the Magic mouse to something better.

Its a nice dream.

Reactions: dottdirtt

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018

The Studio also suffers the same problem. It currently uses laptop parts in the same way iMacs had to a few iterations ago. They should have made its base larger to accommodate higher spec parts for GPU and a better cooling solution.

I was actually pretty interested in one myself but couldn’t commit to spending the money for what was a laptop CPU & GPU when I wanted to use it for 3D and game design work.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I really don't get Apple's obsession with paper-thin edges. I'm still using my mid-2007 iMac 24" (I have clung to this machine mainly because of the 24" screen, which I find perfect for my needs, find the 21" too small and the 27" too big, although I'll be getting a 27" replacement soon), and find that the 1 1/2 thickness of the 24" to be perfectly fine, in fact, basically invisible. It's a DESKTOP for crying-out-loud, looked at primarily from the FRONT. Who gives a **** how thick it is. And if Apple thickens it up a bit they can easily add more cooling and get rid of the chin and front bezel if they want. Seems like Computer Design 101...

Last edited:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I really don't get Apple's obsession with paper-thin bezels. .
seriously? other than maybe the iphone x (and that is debatable) where are you seeing paper thin bezels on Apple products relative to what other companies produce? To me it is quite the opposite.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
and the 27" too big

Well, narrower bezels (they certainly don't need to be thinner than the current model) and a smaller 'chin' would make the 27" iMac look significantly "smaller" on the desk. The question is, what would be sacrificed to achieve that?

I would be totally unsurprised if the next iMac re-design got rid of the spinning rust, which would help. I will also be totally unsurprised if it loses the user-expandable RAM (bad, but probably inevitable - wouldn't be so bad if Apple didn't gouge so much for extra RAM). The sticky one would be dropping support for i7 to leave a clear playing field for the iMac Pro - people ain't gonna like that but OTOH a cool-running hex core i5 with comparable performance to the current top-end quad i7 sounds awfully like the sweet spot for an iMac-format computer. Cutting the price of the entry-level iMac Pro would sweeten that pill, too but flap, oink!

The G-series processors with AMD Radeon graphics sound like potential iMac candidates too and AFAIK they're not out yet so I wouldn't hold my breath at WWDC.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think at this point it would be better if Apple first figured out why people like us still use full size desktop interfaces and then base a design and specs around that.

Reactions: mdbradigan

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I think at this point it would be better if Apple first figured out why people like us still use full size desktop interfaces and then base a design and specs around that.

I really don't think Tim Cook has to commission a task force for this. I'll take a stab at it -- for the bigger screen??? The movable roomier keyboard???

Reactions: craigrusse11
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.