Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
The iMac Pro is a redesign. A significant redesign of how they manage power and thermal distribution in order to provide a superior product. A lot of people want a cosmetic redesign above all else (eg if the exact same improvements happened to the regular iMac but it kept the same design - I'm sure many would complain).

People hoping for a redesign and preferring aesthetic over function need to take a long look at the 2016-17 MBPs & trashcan Mac Pro and be really careful in what they wish for.

Last edited:

partyboy4357

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2017
I’m unsure that reducing bezels qualifies as a redesign. I’m also unsure that the line is in need of one. Never been a fan of change for change’s sake, and for my, the screen is big enough already. YMMV.

With the logic of don't change the design of something for "change's sake" everything would look like it did when it first comes out. Hate that argument as it's pointless

Reactions: Icaras

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
With the logic of don't change the design of something for "change's sake" everything would look like it did when it first comes out. Hate that argument as it's pointless
I’m sorry, but that’s simply not true. My point is that generally with Apple, hardware design changes are intentional improvements verses other manufacturers whose changes seem to be throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
While the iMac's design is good in general, its compactness makes it very difficult to cool. To me the ideal iMac would be one that would incorporate an access panel that can be used for reaching the components inside, without having to remove the screen. Also one that one could remove and replace pluggable RAM, CPU, sound and video cards, and so on.

Reactions: Ifti

BananaX

macrumors regular
May 24, 2017
The iMac Pro is a redesign. A significant redesign of how they manage power and thermal distribution in order to provide a superior product. A lot of people want a cosmetic redesign above all else (eg if the exact same improvements happened to the regular iMac but it kept the same design - I'm sure many would complain).

People hoping for a redesign and preferring aesthetic over function need to take a long look at the 2016-17 MBPs & trashcan Mac Pro and be really careful in what they wish for.

Agreed! My MBP with touch bar was so bad, they had to give me a 2017 model. My 2013 iMac on the other hand, runs like baby smooth. Less bezel will only compromise the function of iMac. The current iMac does not have a great fan system, if the bezels are going smaller, I dont think they can keep using high power CPU and GPU. I would rather have a better spec and with the same bezel.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014

Yes iMac Pro is an internal redesign, but thats not what this thread is talking about. Wether or not we like it Apple will redesign the iMac at some point. Its gonna happen it it's probably going to be even slimmer than before just like every single other device they make. I don't believe the iMac line is immune from this way of design. If Apple cared about performance they would have kept the cheesegrater Mac Pros to this day. The best thing that could happen would be the iMac Pro's cooling gets transferred to the regular iMac line up. I highly doubt we see this but anything is possible.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Take a look at the water-cooled Corsair One Elite. That's a pretty darn impressive system. If Apple made something like that, instead of things just a little too small and thin to work properly with the most powerful hardware, and offered a couple of different display models (16:9, and curved 21:9), that would be perfect. Probably not gonna happen though, because Apple is being led by a guy who is more concerned with emojis, watchbands and accessories.

Reactions: Jim L and c0ppo

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
You don't need to quote me, I know exactly what this thread is about.

Its yet another thread chasing the idea that the iMac should change so it "looks better", instead of changing in ways so that it is actually "functionally better". I'm saying that people should be very carful in wishing for that, because following that road is how we ended up with the Trashcan and the recent MBPs -- Beautiful designs that are compromised because they also valued the wrong set of priorities.

People like to hate on them though (and Apple for following that path) without realising that they themselves are the same ones with the demand for "newness" and cosmetic appeal that Apple is pursuing and that that is how we ended up with their faults.

Last edited:
Reactions: afir93

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I’m unsure that reducing bezels qualifies as a redesign. I’m also unsure that the line is in need of one. Never been a fan of change for change’s sake, and for my, the screen is big enough already. YMMV.
I agree---the bezels don't both me and I think it looks great.

My 27 inch is sitting net to a 27 inch LG ultrafine with no bezels---I think the iMac looks worlds better, chin and all.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Considering the size of the "bezel" the OP's icon presents (take a look), this question is like the pot callin' the kettle black..! ;)

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Yet another time: Who friggin' cares about the bezel? Give us better performance (especially GPU), while having a fairly silent running machine that's not boiling hot, and also good software support for both OSX and Bootcamp/Windows. In fact, Apple should make their iMacs bigger (at least deeper), NOT smaller. Get your priorities straight, people! ;)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Considering the size of the "bezel" the OP's icon presents (take a look), this question is like the pot callin' the kettle black..! ;)

? Not sure I get the reference?
[doublepost=1521390188][/doublepost]
Yet another time: Who friggin' cares about the bezel? Give us better performance (especially GPU), while having a fairly silent running machine that's not boiling hot, and also good software support for both OSX and Bootcamp/Windows. In fact, Apple should make their iMacs bigger (at least deeper), NOT smaller. Get your priorities straight, people! ;)

No doubt - I want max performance as well and hope they learned a lot when they designed the new iMac Pro which is available for you to purchase in case you need more performance.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Very good points.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
What I'd love to see in the next iMac is FaceID. It seems like a logical step to take and would be very useful. If they can reduce the bezels a little that's be great too but I don't really mind the current design.

For those who say this won't happen because of the iMac Pro, these are features aimed at consumers. Most of the target audience for the iMac Pro doesn't really care about smaller bezels.

Also, the iMac Pro is only on it's first iteration. We don't know yet if/when they plan to refresh it. Looking at the Mac Pro release cycle this is highly uncertain but they could very well decide to announce that those features are also coming to the iMac Pro at WWDC.

Another possibility is that they start dumbing down the iMac by removing the ****K processors, reducing the max heat generated and allowing for a smaller case. The might start making it prettier, thinner, add more colours etc. This would follow the MacBook/MacBook Pro pattern.

wildpod

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
I do care about the bezels, they bother me. Don't kid yourselves, the iMac has always been about looks, since the moment Steve introduced it in 1998 where he explicitly mentions "design" as being the reason why people buy computers. But what bothers me more is that for the prices apple charges, we should be getting top of the line specs and we are not. I could accept the bezels if they offer a real performance tradeoff, better cooling, or better speakers, or better wifi reception, but when a $500 iPhone has a better FaceTime camera than a $2000 iMac and has thinner bezels, there is something wrong going on. Besides, 5400 rpm drives in 2018 is unacceptable. This should be reason alone to redesign the iMac; to get rid of antiquated technology that uses large amounts of space while offering poor performance by modern standards. Removing the headphone jack because 'we have the courage to move forward' means nothing when they have the courage to charge outrageous prices for machines with spinning drives. I don't know why they are not ashamed of it, and why more people don't call them on that hypocrisy.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I do care about the bezels, they bother me. Don't kid yourselves, the iMac has always been about looks, since the moment Steve introduced it in 1998 where he explicitly mentions "design" as being the reason why people buy computers. But what bothers me more is that for the prices apple charges, we should be getting top of the line specs and we are not. I could accept the bezels if they offer a real performance tradeoff, better cooling, or better speakers, or better wifi reception, but when a $500 iPhone has a better FaceTime camera than a $2000 iMac and has thinner bezels, there is something wrong going on. Besides, 5400 rpm drives in 2018 is unacceptable. This should be reason alone to redesign the iMac; to get rid of antiquated technology that uses large amounts of space while offering poor performance by modern standards. Removing the headphone jack because 'we have the courage to move forward' means nothing when they have the courage to charge outrageous prices for machines with spinning drives. I don't know why they are not ashamed of it, and why more people don't call them on that hypocrisy.

Ouch. But true re: the FaceTime carera.

Reactions: Darajavahus

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
The spinners also dont fit with the apple experience. Compared to a product with an SSD they are significantly slower and dont offer the experience you buy an apple product for. The modern operating systems arent designed to run off spinners and have you tried running HS purely off a spinner... its a really really poor experience compared to say snow leopard which runs like a champ. Especially when those cheaper base line products will sell far more than the higher end machines and the base 21 has a spinner.

I would say the majority of iMac sales are over the shelf sales of pre-specced machines not built to order. The majority will have a 1tb fusion or the 1tb spinner, the fact HS doesn't support HDDs properly with APFS yet and probably wont... it was a shelved update and was meant to be coming with a future update of HS acording to Federighi... Yet HS is about to be replaced in a 6 weeks.

Very few will be built to order pure SSD models so really the majority of apples more powerful desktops wont run optimally and wont give the experience many people expect so probably wont buy again. Especially when they are expensive. There isnt much wrong with the hardware it will all run well but its such a huge stark contrast running PCI vs HDD.

Every other product in the apple line (apart from the mac mini, it hasn't been updated in 4 years does it even count?) has not just an SSD as standard but PCI SSDs which are far far superior talking more than 10x the performance as a minimum. Traditional Sata 3 spinners run at 150mb/s and the newest gen SSDs are running at 2000mb/s +

I would suggest apple will remove the spinners in the next iteration and start at 128gbs hopefully 256gbs.

This will give more room for components/thermal capacity and will also improve reliability as pretty much the only component that fails on these machines is the hard drive. Its too hot and cramped and the life span is hugely reduced. The fact apple has made them all pretty much non serviceable means that, even for apple they are a pain to repair.

This will improve iMac customer satisfaction in terms of "product failure".

Anyway there is loads of room in the 27" imac its the 21.5 that there isnt and the design is meant to translate into each so as not to increase costs of production.

For all of you saying bezels cant be made smaller because of internals. Here is the internal of the 27" imac. Almost 50% of its volume is empty. The speaker assembly takes up more room than the main board. Oh yea and that single fan is all that cools the CPU and GPU... No wonder the i7 throttle like mad.

pYHRZpMG6v3p6uIL.huge_-780x585.jpg

If they ditched the 21.5 and went with a 24" instead, its a far more modern size which will give a really nice mid range. The 27" is lovely but it takes up a lot of room on the desk and with it not having a height adjust the 24" would be a good compromise for a lot of people.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
Personally, the bezels don't bother me, but if they were gone, it wouldn't make me sad either.

I own the Late 2012 iMac, the first of the really thin ones. It does look neat from a side profile view, but 99.999% of the time, I am viewing the front of it.

As for thickness, I personally wouldn't mind the iMac being a little thicker, if it added to the functionality to it.
I AGREE. 1. I have the same Imac on my desk at work and have never seen the side. 2. the bezel area makes a great space for post-it notes. 3. If it was thicker and offered better cooling and space for ???? that would be fine also.

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have the same Imac on my desk at work and have never seen the side.
This reminds me of how Apple has changed their design influences over the years. 20 years ago, the design of their devices was from the perspective of the user, and how to make the user experience better.

Now, it seems like the design of their devices are less for user experience, and more for how it looks from the perspective of people around the user.

I am not saying that a device shouldn't look good btw, I am just saying that I would prefer the user experience over the experience of people around the user.

If it was thicker and offered better cooling and space for hard drives that would be fine also.
IMO, one device that does not need to get any thinner is the iMac. I am with you, and I would much rather have better cooling. I would also like to have user upgradable RAM, and HD.

Reactions: Ifti and filmak

Bmaintz

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Austin, Texas
This reminds me of how Apple has changed their design influences over the years. 20 years ago, the design of their devices was from the perspective of the user, and how to make the user experience better.

Now, it seems like the design of their devices are less for user experience, and more for how it looks from the perspective of people around the user.

I am not saying that a device shouldn't look good btw, I am just saying that I would prefer the user experience over the experience of people around the user.

IMO, one device that does not need to get any thinner is the iMac. I am with you, and I would much rather have better cooling. I would also like to have user upgradable RAM, and HD.

Want to buy a new Imac but would like to see a standard 256 SSD, 24"screen, better quiet cooling & upgrade-able RAM... Should I hold my breath?... :)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
They could go back to placing everything in the stand and then the display can be as thin as tv's with no bezel at all if they really want to go in that direction. Depending on what the stand looked like I don't think I would mind that approach.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
They could go back to placing everything in the stand and then the display can be as thin as tv's with no bezel at all if they really want to go in that direction. Depending on what the stand looked like I don't think I would mind that approach.
A design like that would look nice but most (all?) recent computers designed like that have to use laptop components. I sure hope Apple doesn't turn the iMac into a Mac Mini with a screen glued on top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.