Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Is there anywhere that sells brand new 2020 iMacs? My 2017 took a hard fall and cracked the screen. They want on average $600 to fix a piece of glass and I'd rather place that cost into something better than what I have but I'm worried about buying a used or refurbished computer from a site like eBay. I can't stand the look or size of the new iMacs at all and can't bring myself to get one of those.

My local Microcenter sold their last 2020 this week. So I don't know of a source.

OWC has Apple Certified Refurbished with the i5 and they have ACR opened for upgrade for the i7s. If you find a place that sells them new, please let me know too.

There is a nice used 2017 for sale nearby, i7, 500 GB SSD but I'd really like a 2020 for macOS updates.

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
My local Microcenter sold their last 2020 this week. So I don't know of a source.

OWC has Apple Certified Refurbished with the i5 and they have ACR opened for upgrade for the i7s. If you find a place that sells them new, please let me know too.

There is a nice used 2017 for sale nearby, i7, 500 GB SSD but I'd really like a 2020 for macOS updates.

I just noticed OWC’s as well, it’s $1,049, not bad.

I bought my new i5 3.3ghz/8gb/512gb ssd from Woot in December for $940. I don’t see too many brand new ones listed since, but just last week they had an open box (newish) for around $750.

If you find a good price on Amazon, the official 3rd party certified refurbs have a decent return policy if you don’t like the condition it arrives in. I tried out a 2019 that was around $720 but I hated the Fusion Drive and wasn’t willing to deal with opening it up to replace the drive.

You could also try FB Marketplace, deals vary wildly depending on your market.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I just noticed OWC’s as well, it’s $1,049, not bad.

I bought my new i5 3.3ghz/8gb/512gb ssd from Woot in December for $940. I don’t see too many brand new ones listed since, but just last week they had an open box (newish) for around $750.

If you find a good price on Amazon, the official 3rd party certified refurbs have a decent return policy if you don’t like the condition it arrives in. I tried out a 2019 that was around $720 but I hated the Fusion Drive and wasn’t willing to deal with opening it up to replace the drive.

You could also try FB Marketplace, deals vary wildly depending on your market.

I look on Craigslist as Facebook keeps shooting my account. They probably don't like my ad-blockers. I'm generally very patient on these things. There are lots of nice used iMacs in NYC but it's 5 hours away and I don't want one that badly.

RyanXM

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
Is there anywhere that sells brand new 2020 iMacs? My 2017 took a hard fall and cracked the screen. They want on average $600 to fix a piece of glass and I'd rather place that cost into something better than what I have but I'm worried about buying a used or refurbished computer from a site like eBay. I can't stand the look or size of the new iMacs at all and can't bring myself to get one of those.

Reactions: HappyIntro

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
I have a 2020 iMac that I bought the month it came out. I intend to keep using it as my main machine as long as possible. That said, I would not. buy one now. It is now an almost 4 year old machine. If you don't like the new Mac (understandable), I would buy the 27" Apple Studio display and maybe hookup an Apple Silicon Mac mini.

Reactions: Ruftzooi

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

That's my local store.

I guess someone returned one or they got another one in from another store.

They dropped the price to $929 too. It was $949 last week.

I'd really like an i7 too.

Best Buy does have an i7 Apple Refurbished for about $1,249.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
I’d recommend looking past the design and smaller display because it’s still a 4.5K resolution so you don’t lose much screen real estate and my M3 iMac absolutely blows my 2020 fully loaded iMac 27” out of the water

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I’d recommend looking past the design and smaller display because it’s still a 4.5K resolution so you don’t lose much screen real estate and my M3 iMac absolutely blows my 2020 fully loaded iMac 27” out of the water

I have a Mac Studio next to my 2015 27 inch iMac. I run production on my Studio and office stuff on the iMac. There are 3 Dell Ultrasharp 27 inch 4k monitors running off the Studio and I'm standardized on the 27 inch 4k or 4k monitor format. The 2015 iMac cost me $200 including Apple keyboard and mouse. That is seriously difficult to beat for running office stuff.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I'm still in luv with my late 2015 27". Sure it's a tad slower than these new iMacs but that just means I sip on the coffee more. The only eh "new" software in the OS that grabs me is Stage Manager" but mission control will do just fine. For those that went from a 27" to 24" more power to ya or Studio and screen more power to ya also. I just hope my puter hangs on until something in the OS other than Stage Manager moves me :D

Reactions: pshufd

Jordan Klein

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2016
I need x86 virtualization so until that is available on silicon Macs then I will be using my 2020 iMac. If it dies and I can't get a replacement then I'll end up switching to Linux or Windows on x86 for the same reason. I'd hate to leave Apple but they left me when they ditched Intel.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I need x86 virtualization so until that is available on silicon Macs then I will be using my 2020 iMac. If it dies and I can't get a replacement then I'll end up switching to Linux or Windows on x86 for the same reason. I'd hate to leave Apple but they left me when they ditched Intel.

You can still get 2010, 2011, 2012, etc. on the used market so I think that 2020s will be around for at least another 5 years.

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
Buy a refurb from the apple site. Theyre effectively 'new' macines. Full warranty and you even have the option for applecare - assuming you want to waste money on applecare 🤷🏻‍♀️

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Buy a refurb from the apple site. Theyre effectively 'new' macines. Full warranty and you even have the option for applecare - assuming you want to waste money on applecare 🤷🏻‍♀️

They are out of stock on the 27 inch models. I suspect that Apple Refurb wholesaled them to MacSales and other retailers.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I have a 2020 iMac that I bought the month it came out. I intend to keep using it as my main machine as long as possible. That said, I would not. buy one now. It is now an almost 4 year old machine. If you don't like the new Mac (understandable), I would buy the 27" Apple Studio display and maybe hookup an Apple Silicon Mac mini.
Exactly this. I bought a 2020 27' i7 with the 5700XT refurb from Apple in almost exactly 2 years ago. Yes I still love my computer and I don't regret at all, but in 2024? I don't recommend it at all at this point. It's a 4 years old computer. It is still relatively fast for the most part, but it's not as good as a brand new computer from today. Also, macOS updates will probably end in around ~2 years. I wouldn't be surprise if the next major macOS update is the last one.

Also, Windows 10 support from Microsoft will end in october 2025 so if you plan to use it as a bootcamp machine, you have to take this into consideration as well. Yes you can install Windows 11 but it demand some tweaks, so I just tell the official information.

At this point, the new silicon macs are great machines. You just have to buy a monitor separately (iMacs aren't worth it anymore) or buy a PC. I'm still not decided yet if my next computer will still be a mac or if I'm going back to Windows.

Last edited:

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
They are out of stock on the 27 inch models. I suspect that Apple Refurb wholesaled them to MacSales and other retailers.
True, but they will probably have some in stock soon. I would wait a couple weeks at least. I do think the apple refiurb store will be the best place by FAR to pick one up at a good price, pristine condition, and warranty you can absolutely count on. So if I were you I'd be patient and see if they show up fairly soon.

Side note, I do kind of agree with others here that if you can find an M-series mac you can live with, that would probably be the better choice in the long run.

Reactions: TVreporter

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
True, but they will probably have some in stock soon. I would wait a couple weeks at least. I do think the apple refiurb store will be the best place by FAR to ick one up. So if I were you I'd be patient and see if they show up fairly soon

I've been watching them for months - haven't seen any this year.

Best Buy and OWC are selling Apple Certified Refurbished 2020 iMacs and there's only one place to get those.

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010

Best Buy and OWC are selling Apple Certified Refurbished 2020 iMacs and there's only one place to get those.
Since they're still on the list (currently greyed out) that tells me they expect to have some eventually. If they didnt think there would be more refurbs to sell, it wouldnt even be on the list e.g. - the 2019 iMac isnt on the list anymore

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010

Everyone raves about owc and i used to buy their stuff for years, but kinda came to the conclusion that despite the raves, they're kinda half assed

Reactions: BuffyzDead

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010

With most stores, 'certified refurb' seems to mean aome 26 year old dude turned it on, made sure the mouse works, and wiped it down with a damp cloth

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
With most stores, 'certified refurb' seems to mean aome 26 year old dude turned it on, made sure the mouse works, and wiped it down with a damp cloth

OWC states Apple Certified Refurbished - New Condition.

One of the models that I looked at from Best Buy stated that it is eligible for Apple Care.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I have one a 2020 iMac i7 5700 in pristine condition for sale after moving to a mobile setup. DM if you're interested

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.