Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DigiDNA today announced the launch of iMazing 3, an updated version of its iPhone and iPad management software designed for Macs and Windows machines.

iMazing 3 features an updated user interface with a dedicated "Discover" section that makes it easier to find popular tools for doing things like transferring photos from an iPhone, downloading Messages, transferring music, and making backups.

A Device Overview section offers details about connected products like serial number, model number, device ID, date of latest backup, and more, for simple multi-device management, and there's also a Data section for accessing saved media, messages, contacts, and other content.

For battery management, there is a battery section that provides details on current temperature, design max charge, effective max charge, and charge cycles, plus there are options for managing storage.

The iMazing 3 software on Mac works with the Vision Pro in addition to the iPhone and the iPad, and there is support for remote pairing. Other new features include a Dark Mode, improved Backup and snapshot management, and a redesigned settings interface.

iMazing 3 can be downloaded from the iMazing website at prices starting at $40. iMazing customers who purchased the software after October 20, 2020 can upgrade for free, and those with older licenses can upgrade at a 50 percent discount.

Article Link: iMazing iPhone Management Software Gets Fresh Design, Support for Vision Pro

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
As as long time user of iMazing, version 3 is an excellent release with a lot of useful features that I believe many will use on a regular basis. It has much better backup ability (not to mention extraction of data) that iCloud.
Same here. I’ve used iMazing since its start and it is, IMHO, the best tool for managing iPhones and iPads.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I’ve been using iMazing for a few years now, too, and unfortunately have been burned recently by assuming my backups were ok. And the pricing of the new version is a bummer, too. I really like the app and it’s many abilities, but restoring from a backup hasn’t worked for me.

Reactions: HailstormX

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I’ve been using iMazing for a few years now, too, and unfortunately have been burned recently by assuming my backups were ok. And the pricing of the new version is a bummer, too. I really like the app and it’s many abilities, but restoring from a backup hasn’t worked for me.
You think $30 for a non sub license is a lot?

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
You think $30 for a non sub license is a lot?
When you have 6-7 devices in your house that were ok on the prior version but now cost more, yeah.

In my case, because I’ve got at least 6 devices I’d want to back up to an external drive, I’d have to buy the 10 devices option for $130

Reactions: zapmymac

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
When you have 6-7 devices in your house that were ok on the prior version but now cost more, yeah.

In my case, because I’ve got at least 6 devices I’d want to back up to an external drive, I’d have to buy the 10 devices option for $130
That is certainly understandable. I think iMazing realized that they were getting the short end of the developer deal with how it was set up in previous versions.

Reactions: KeithBN

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
When they decided to go to the device aka subscription model "and claim they did not" they lost me....

I've been using AnyTrans and so far its been working well when I need it...
I don't consider my 15 Pro being registered with iMazing as a sub as it entitles me to use the software for as long as own my phone, not to mention an actual sub option is offered. With prior versions, I think the argument could be made by iMazing and other in the dark side that it was far too easy to hack said software thus allowing bad actors access and sharing of the software.

kozz

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
I don't consider my 15 Pro being registered with iMazing as a sub as it entitles me to use the software for as long as own my phone, not to mention an actual sub option is offered. With prior versions, I think the argument could be made by iMazing and other in the dark side that it was far too easy to hack said software thus allowing bad actors access and sharing of the software.
But it essentially is if you upgrade yearly…

Reactions: rmadsen3

kozz

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
Then that is a personal preference and not iMazing forcing it upon you.
I’m sure they know many of their user base does this….if they were not just after money then why not offer 3 tiers, one true non sub, one device based and one sub..

or offer the ability to transfer device for a small fee…

Reactions: HailstormX

MrMaxwell

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2016
DownUnder
Great software especially allowing you to archive and access iMessage as Apple still don't offer a way to do this - they're either deleted or backed up to iCloud for eternity which means upgrading your iCloud plan for eternity. I would be well into the terabyte iCloud plans by now if not for iMazing allowing me to archive offline.

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2021
version 3 is worst than 2 in terms of it’s licenses.
it’s per iPhone and not per computers.
let’s say u bought 3 devices license , if you change your phone 3 times wether for stolen and damaged reasons you will have to buy an extra device slots.
it is preferable to not upgrade your license for the version 2 and just flat out buy version 3 when it’s on sale .
own both license to mage devices up to iOS 18 and just use the new license for the new devices and new upgrades only for devices running iOS 19 when it’s out

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
That is certainly understandable. I think iMazing realized that they were getting the short end of the developer deal with how it was set up in previous versions.
Maybe? I mean, whether the app is backing up one device or another, it’s still just the one app. Adding in tiers based on how many you back up should be more for enterprise setups of maybe 20-50 or more.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Valid point about Enterprise use. In fact, I believe iMazing does offer Enterpricing use as well.
Regardless, too rich for me and my needs anymore. I’ll just stick with iCloud Backups. I did like the apps ability to look at the data in the backups. That was nice, but for how often I had to use it it’s not worth the price.

bbbc

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
Is there any program that offers a selective iPhone / iPad restore of a full backup? I like to do clean installs and would prefer to only restore just iMessages / SMS / texts. No pix, no apps, just a fresh start with everything else. I can get my contacts via iCloud.

Viridian5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2023
Question for the long-time users: I paid for 1 device a couple years ago and backed up my 14P. When I get a 16P this fall can I delete the 14P and use that same 1 device license for the 16P? Or do I need to purchase a new one

Reactions: zapmymac

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Have been using iMazing for a long time. Fantastic software. Will be updating to version 3 soon.

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Same here. I’ve used iMazing since its start and it is, IMHO, the best tool for managing iPhones and iPads.
Yes - but the need for such a tool has decreased with cloud back-ups.
I use it to back-up some data like phone history, which used to have a 100 shown item limitation in iOS.
Nowadays the limit is up to 1000 - so even that is less needed :)

Reactions: gank41
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.