Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klspahr

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
All I wanted to do was extract my safari bookmarks from my iPhone since I’m having bookmark syncing problems to my Mac (which Apple can’t fix for some reason). But imazing can’t do that. After buying it, I really don’t see much use for the app. I can back up my iPhone to the cloud and/or to the Mac for free. I don’t have to extract music files because they already exist on my Mac. Same with photos. Plus it is soooo incredibly slow when you have a terabyte iPhone. This app must be a carry-over from the old iPod days.

Reactions: joecomo and gank41

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Yes - but the need for such a tool has decreased with cloud back-ups.

True, a lot depends on what you want in a backup or iOS/iPadOS utility.

I use it to back-up some data like phone history, which used to have a 100 shown item limitation in iOS.
Nowadays the limit is up to 1000 - so even that is less needed :)

Yea, but iCloud for example does not do a full backup; for example, if you save photos to iCloud, your backup doesn't include them. As a result, if you delete a photo it is gone after 30 days even with a backup in iCloud; many people don't realize how iCloud backup works and that it's not really a backup in all cases, but a sync / partial backup. Other cloud backups may be more like a traditional backup.

iMazing backs up everything, along with letting you do things like load files, open files, etc. Backup is just one feature; and I like the ability to save copies of backups on exxternal drives for safekeeping..

Reactions: rmadsen3

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
True, a lot depends on what you want in a backup or iOS/iPadOS utility.

Yea, but iCloud for example does not do a full backup; for example, if you save photos to iCloud, your backup doesn't include them. As a result, if you delete a photo it is gone after 30 days even with a backup in iCloud; many people don't realize how iCloud backup works and that it's not really a backup in all cases, but a sync / partial backup. Other cloud backups may be more like a traditional backup.

iMazing backs up everything, along with letting you do things like load files, open files, etc. Backup is just one feature; and I like the ability to save copies of backups on exxternal drives for safekeeping..
true - but with iCloud the photos are also synchronized to other devices (e.g. computers) which are likely to have a time-machine or other back-up.

So at the end it depends on the use case - I tend to use iMazing rarely these days.

Reactions: gank41

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
true - but with iCloud the photos are also synchronized to other devices (e.g. computers) which are likely to have a time-machine or other back-up.

In my experience, many people do not do a regular sequential backup of another machine and think iCloud has them covered when it does't. Part of that is Apple calls it a backup when it isn't in the technical definition of the term.

So at the end it depends on the use case - I tend to use iMazing rarely these days.

Of course. I have multiple separate backups to be safe.

Reactions: joecomo

bkendig

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2019
All I want is an app that will export my Messages conversations as PDFs. PhoneView does a great job of that, but the company has discontinued that app and they recommend iMazing, which does more and costs more than I need.

Anyone have a recommendation for a free/cheap app which can save Messages conversations as PDFs?

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Btw - I just started iMazing (motivated by this thread), to find out, that I need a new license
(got my iPhone15ProMax motherboard replaced by Apple and this counts as a new device).

Their licensing is really a nuisance.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Do you need to connect via wire everytime or just initially?

As as long time user of iMazing, version 3 is an excellent release with a lot of useful features that I believe many will use on a regular basis. It has much better backup ability (not to mention extraction of data) that iCloud.

How is the backup better than clicking "backup" in the finder manager?

When they decided to go to the device aka subscription model "and claim they did not" they lost me....

I've been using AnyTrans and so far its been working well when I need it...

the family plan for 70 for $10 devices , is $7 per device so thats more than a fair price I think none the less AnyTrans is better, its unlimited devices and lifetime updates.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Do you need to connect via wire everytime or just initially?

How is the backup better than clicking "backup" in the finder manager?

the family plan for 70 for $10 devices , is $7 per device so thats more than a fair price I think none the less AnyTrans is better, its unlimited devices and lifetime updates.
You should download iMazing and use it for free to do a backup. That way you can see for yourself and can compare both options if you so desire.

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
All I wanted to do was extract my safari bookmarks from my iPhone since I’m having bookmark syncing problems to my Mac (which Apple can’t fix for some reason). But imazing can’t do that. After buying it, I really don’t see much use for the app. I can back up my iPhone to the cloud and/or to the Mac for free. I don’t have to extract music files because they already exist on my Mac. Same with photos. Plus it is soooo incredibly slow when you have a terabyte iPhone. This app must be a carry-over from the old iPod days.
That is indeed what it is - in the early days such programs were very useful

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
iMazing has a gross pricing policy...You either pay per year or per connected device...Why not per installed device via account or serial?

How can people support such scam?

The problem is trying to monetize people who would buy one license for one Mac and then use that Mac to charge people for iPhone repair services on potentially hundreds of phones.

I'm not sure their approach to this is correct, but that's why.

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
The problem is trying to monetize people who would buy one license for one Mac and then use that Mac to charge people for iPhone repair services on potentially hundreds of phones.

I'm not sure their approach to this is correct, but that's why.
I get your point, but if someone wants to cheat, they will do it no matter what. But that way they f'up their normal and potential users and people who would likely buy it under 'normal' circumstances are basically forced to either use another program or to pirate it.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I get your point, but if someone wants to cheat, they will do it no matter what. But that way they f'up their normal and potential users and people who would likely buy it under 'normal' circumstances are basically forced to either use another program or to pirate it.

This describes Blu-rays, streaming services, and everything else made worse for the sake of "anti-piracy."

I don't agree with it, just saying it's the path they chose. Some companies just don’t offer a reasonable license. Decades into this you'd think we'd have found a balance.

macrove

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024

DigiDNA today announced the launch of iMazing 3, an updated version of its iPhone and iPad management software designed for Macs and Windows machines.

iMazing 3 features an updated user interface with a dedicated "Discover" section that makes it easier to find popular tools for doing things like transferring photos from an iPhone, downloading Messages, transferring music, and making backups.

A Device Overview section offers details about connected products like serial number, model number, device ID, date of latest backup, and more, for simple multi-device management, and there's also a Data section for accessing saved media, messages, contacts, and other content.

For battery management, there is a battery section that provides details on current temperature, design max charge, effective max charge, and charge cycles, plus there are options for managing storage.

The iMazing 3 software on Mac works with the Vision Pro in addition to the iPhone and the iPad, and there is support for remote pairing. Other new features include a Dark Mode, improved Backup and snapshot management, and a redesigned settings interface.

iMazing 3 can be downloaded from the iMazing website at prices starting at $40. iMazing customers who purchased the software after October 20, 2020 can upgrade for free, and those with older licenses can upgrade at a 50 percent discount.

Article Link: iMazing iPhone Management Software Gets Fresh Design, Support for Vision Pro
Beware - NO NOT BUY!
Well, what they fail to mention is that once you have connected up to three iPhones even though they no longer exist or are you recycled them, you’ll have to purchase an additional license of $35 for every device you connect to it. I recently used this to extract messages from three older phones that no longer exist. I contacted Support and they wanted me to provide proof of documentation of disposal to release the link. Otherwise you have to purchase an additional license of $35 per device. The previous versions did not do this and they do not disclose this clearly, that is permanent. Look for other solutions until they fix their licensing to be like previous versions.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Beware - NO NOT BUY!
Well, what they fail to mention is that once you have connected up to three iPhones even though they no longer exist or are you recycled them, you’ll have to purchase an additional license of $35 for every device you connect to it. I recently used this to extract messages from three older phones that no longer exist. I contacted Support and they wanted me to provide proof of documentation of disposal to release the link. Otherwise you have to purchase an additional license of $35 per device. The previous versions did not do this and they do not disclose this clearly, that is permanent. Look for other solutions until they fix their licensing to be like previous versions.
I ran into this issue, too. Besides the 3 iPads and 2 iPhones in our house I had been backing up just fine, they're somehow seeing that I also have 2 other iPads and 3 other iPhones that we no longer have, and the app says I should purchase the License for 10 devices!! That's some crazy markup.

They sure have priced me out of using this app, that's for sure.

The fact that folks are suggesting to others to provide receipts for their devices, just shows who this app is now geared towards (Enterprise as opposed to the average Joe), and then not offering reasonable licensing for the Average Joe as opposed to an Enterprise Option will be their downfall in the end.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Beware - NO NOT BUY!
The website does tell you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 10.18.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 10.18.12 AM.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 16
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.