Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
HI Gregzo,

Purchased new phone and am trying to recover my photos as the transfer portion of iMazing lost all my photos and all my music.

Music was easily recovered, if not time consuming.

Photos have not been so easy.

The photos lost were the albums manually created and synced with iMazing. I've been working with this tutorial at https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/3v2zjs/tutorial_fix_iphone_photo_database_corrupt_andor/

Found this because iMazing kept telling me the metadata was malformed.

I've got the images back on the phone. The original phone images are there too, mostly I think. But I am failing to get it to sort and keep the sort.

This is because every time I copy the Photos.sqlite db back to the phone, it restores it and erases the sort order. :(

Help and suggestions are much appreciated.

Gregzo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2015
Switzerland
Hello Tony,

iOS backups do not include content that is synched from a computer. Apple's logic here is that the computer acts as a 'Master Library', so synched content can be re-synched and isn't backed up to preserve disk space. So after you transfer your data to a new device, photo albums you created with iMazing and music you copied to your iPhone with iMazing should be copied again, unfortunately. There's no easy way around this, it's how the backup process was designed to work. On the plus side, iMazing lets you recover synched content (photos and music) from your iOS device, whereas iTunes does not.

The reddit article you mention is concerned more with repairing the camera roll. I wouldn't go there yet if I were you.

Could you please get in touch at https://imazing.com/contact? We'll help you from there. Please mention me and this thread, I'll pick up your ticket personally.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
We have been using iMazing to transfer data to users at work.

We have one phone that keeps asking for the encryption password when restoring on the new phone. His phone never even asked us to create a password during the backup phase.

We have tried it on both windows and Mac and also had it forget the phone and delete backups and start over.

Is there a way to fix this?

EDIT: I am guessing the user had the encrypt backup option on prior to us managing users phones.

Hi everyone!

I'm Greg, one of the developers of iMazing. We've been around for a while (remember Diskaid?), and somehow haven't started a thread here in all those years... I guess we were waiting for Dark Mode to come into the spotlight!

View attachment 794063

iMazing is the ultimate iOS device manager. We aim to help our users make the most of iOS devices, and take control over their mobile data. Better local backups, easier transfers, app management (including IPA downloads), advanced recovery and troubleshooting tools... our mission sure covers a lot of ground.

iMazing iOS Backups

iMazing presents a strong focus on backups. You can quickly setup daily automatic backups of your iPhone and iPad, to your own storage devices (including NAS). If you ever lose your device or suffer data loss, you can easily recover just about anything not just from one image of your device, but from a whole history of backups, à la Time Machine:

View attachment 794065

Local backups aren't just about keeping your data safe (and encrypted, of course!), they are also a way to increase your ownership over your data. From your backups, iMazing can export the following:
  • Messages and iMessages to PDF and CSV. Attachments.
  • Photos to HEIC and JPG (conversion of HEIC to JPG possible).
  • Call History to CSV. Voicemail recordings (Visual Voicemail).
  • Safari History and Bookmarks to HTML and CSV.
  • Calendars to iCal and CSV.
  • Contacts to vCard and CSV.
  • Notes to PDF and TXT.
  • Voice Memos to M4A.
  • Any raw file.
Backups can be restored to your devices too, and you can choose what type of data and which apps are restored.

iMazing Transfers

iMazing is also a great tool to transfer content between your iOS device and your Mac or PC. The keyword here is simplicity: just drag and drop a file or a folder, to or from iMazing. Oh, and it works via Wi-Fi too!

• Push music tracks to the Music app. Recover music from an old iPod.
  • Add ringtones or recover them.
  • Add photo albums, extract photos from synced albums.
  • Push PDF documents and eBooks to Books. Move downloaded books to your computer.
  • Quickly copy Voice Memos to your Mac.
  • Manage files and folders of file manager apps like GoodReader, Documents and FileApp.
In our 2.7 release, we introduced a tool which further simplifies pushing documents and media to iOS. Drop files and folders to iMazing, and it will automatically identify compatible apps on your iPhone or iPad. We call it Quick Transfer, and it's pretty neat:

View attachment 794249

iMazing for the Geeks

We have lots of geeky tools for you to play with, some of them potential life savers:

• Update or reinstall iOS.
  • Exit recovery mode. Kill the setup assistant.
  • Edit backups and restore them for tweaks - at your own risk ;)
  • Back up user data of apps. Restore just the backed up data.
  • Fully functional device console. Access to iOS log files.
  • Advanced battery and device info.
View attachment 794256

These tools aren't just for show - they've actively helped hundreds of users solve a nasty (and interesting!) APFS and Unicode related bug last year.

iMazing Free

2 years ago, we removed all time limitations from our free trial. The result is that iMazing is effectively partially free. No signing up, no registration, just download iMazing and enjoy the following:

• Unlimited backups. Browsing backup contents.
  • Manage apps: install, uninstall, download your IPAs.
  • Battery and device info.
  • Device console.
  • Transfer ringtones, both ways.

iMazing Links

Official Website
Team Blog
User Guides
YouTube Channel
Tech Support

Your questions, feedback and suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:

Gregzo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2015
Switzerland
Hi,

Backup encryption is set in iTunes or iMazing (or other similar 3rd party tools), but the setting is saved on the iOS device itself. All future backups of the iOS device, regardless of the computer or drive the backup is performed to, will be encrypted. The setting is also restored along with the backup. Luckily, since iOS 11, you can simply reset all settings on the device itself, that will clear the backup password. You'll need to delete the current encrypted backup in iMazing before you back up afresh though, because iMazing will ask for the existing backup's password in order to archive it and prevent it from being overwritten by the new backup.

Summing up:
- iPhone's Settings app -> Reset all settings
- (optional but strongly advised) Set a new backup password with iTunes or iMazing
- Delete current encrypted backup
- Back up afresh

Also, please route all tech support questions to https://imazing.com/contact in the future. The Forum rules here specifically mention that apps should not provide tech support here, because it bumps threads needlessly. Thank you!

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Hi,

Backup encryption is set in iTunes or iMazing (or other similar 3rd party tools), but the setting is saved on the iOS device itself. All future backups of the iOS device, regardless of the computer or drive the backup is performed to, will be encrypted. The setting is also restored along with the backup. Luckily, since iOS 11, you can simply reset all settings on the device itself, that will clear the backup password. You'll need to delete the current encrypted backup in iMazing before you back up afresh though, because iMazing will ask for the existing backup's password in order to archive it and prevent it from being overwritten by the new backup.

Summing up:
- iPhone's Settings app -> Reset all settings
- (optional but strongly advised) Set a new backup password with iTunes or iMazing
- Delete current encrypted backup
- Back up afresh

Also, please route all tech support questions to https://imazing.com/contact in the future. The Forum rules here specifically mention that apps should not provide tech support here, because it bumps threads needlessly. Thank you!

Thanks, that was it. In will reach out to your support directly the next time I need help. Though this time it had nothing to do with your software.

BTW I wish I knew about this software much sooner.

Gregzo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2015
Switzerland
No problem at all. The rules here are quite drastic to prevent developers from turning the forums into another marketing channel, and we'd like to respect that.

Backup encryption on iOS is a huge subject which goes far beyond iMazing, you're right. That's also why I answered inline here. Imagine that before iOS 11, a lost backup password meant that there was no way to backup locally ever again without erasing the device fully! The workaround introduced in iOS 11 surely is welcome.

Reactions: TonyK

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
iMazing "went nerts" this morning, repeatedly backing-up my devices over and over...

I closed iMazing Mini, but that didn't stop it. Apparently, there's some background system process that still runs even if you close it.

I see there is a new version available, I will give it a shot before uninstalling iMazing.

Anybody else experiencing this today?

How can I temporarily stop it from backing-up? It is NOT obvious. I need to stop it until this is resolved. The notifications are driving me nuts!

This has been going on only for the past 30 minutes or so. One backup after another, after another.... I closed Mini after the update, and still doesn't stop. I think alas I have to uninstall. (Oops, I see I had full iMazing running... let's see if it stops now.)

Ackkkk! Nothing I do stops it. A new backup, every 5 minutes. And I don't find anything obvious to kill in Activity Monitor.

It goes. Bye, Felicia!

The problem is ... how? I doubt that just removing the .app will do the job, as obviously, there is some agent that is persistent. I did find it in Activity Monitor, but when I kill Mini it just pops back up. Strangely, it popped back up with the initial welcome dialog, and I unselected my two devices for backup (ONLY place I could find any setting to backup/not backup a device) and STILL it persists.

As this is not my primary computer, I am just going to shut this machine down until I can find some answers.

Edit: it stopped the repeated backups after a reboot. However, I do have backups currently disabled.

Last edited:

Gregzo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2015
Switzerland
Thanks for reporting this, first time I hear of such strange behaviour... Can you please send details at https://imazing.com/contact? macOS and iOS version? How many iOS devices connected? Also, it may be just a notification glitch - what makes you think iMazing Mini is initiating a new backup every 5 minutes? We'll investigate your case accordingly, but we can't provide tech support here by forum rules.

About removing iMazing Mini: on macOS, iMazing Mini is packaged inside iMazing, so deleting the iMazing .app also deletes iMazing Mini. To be extra sure, you can also disable the 'Launch at Login' option before deleting iMazing.

I hope this helps!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Hello Gregzo: I downloaded iMazing in a last-ditch attempt to prevent an activation error from forcing me to update my iPad. (It is NOT iCloud locked, it appeared out of the blue). I read that you have a "exit setup assistant" option. When I use it, it reboots my iPad but when I unlock it the setup assistant is still there, and the activation error does not go away. Any idea why?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Do you have the exact error? A screenshot would be great.
"Activation error. Activation could not be completed. Please restore the iPad and install the latest version of iOS and attempt activation again. If the problem persists, please contact customer support."
It went into this activation error whilst I was using it out of the blue.

Gregzo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2015
Switzerland
Hmm, not a great sign... do you get any opportunity for input, or the error occurs immediately? Also, try booting completely offline: switch off your Wi-Fi, remove the sim if needed (and possible!). We should carry on this conversation via pm, forum rules explicitly state that here’s not the place for tech support. Thanks!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Hmm, not a great sign... do you get any opportunity for input, or the error occurs immediately? Also, try booting completely offline: switch off your Wi-Fi, remove the sim if needed (and possible!). We should carry on this conversation via pm, forum rules explicitly state that here’s not the place for tech support. Thanks!
PM sent, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.