Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalmike13

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2022
I turn on my thunderbolt devices first then the Mac Pro opencore find them and active them after the automatic reboot it s only solution but the best once it has activated you can restart many times all stayed connected it’s due of uad drivers
This does not work and even if Apollo is on, my mac starts p, then reboots itself again and Apollo is connected. Is there any workaround this?

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
You are mistaken, you can't boot via 3rd party USB cards with MacPro5,1. Firmware only support native USB2,0 and the only way that I see your scenario possible is via USB2.0 pass-thru, where the TitanRidge just routes the USB2.0 signals to the MacPro soutbridge USB ports.

After OpenCore is loaded is not booting, but chain loading.

MacPro5,1 can’t boot from TB or any USB cards beside the native south bridge USB controller.
So after messing around more, you can restart and boot off a thunderbolt drive, you can't cold boot into it as you stated. But you can boot off your internal system drive and restart to mount your thunderbolt drive that has Mac OS on it then restart again and select it in the OC bootloader and then your in, running off the thunderbolt drive, not that it really serves a purpose except t o make a backup. I have been having a hell of a time with an EVO 970 pro. I created two partitions and install Big Sur and the other I use for scratch disk. But the system is just unreliable. I wonder if I wipe it and not use partitions if it will behave better.

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
I m gonna flash the maple ridge with Apple v47 firmware And use ssdt maple ridge on my opencore

vsc

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
Just flash it with apple firmware included in Monterey package
What devices have you tested with the interface (e.g. mass storage, etc)?

Does it behave similar to Titan Ridge, where for example a soft boot is required to identify connected devices?

BoomerTheBlunt

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2020
The video in the beginning of this thread says that the TR card needs to be installed in slot 4 only. Is that accurate? It won't work in slot 2 with the 16x PCI lane?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The video in the beginning of this thread says that the TR card needs to be installed in slot 4 only. Is that accurate? It won't work in slot 2 with the 16x PCI lane?
Slot 2 might work but would require modification of anything that refers to slot 4 such as SSDT.

TR card is PCIe 3.0 x4. The only reason to put it in x16 slot is if you were installing it in a MacPro3,1 where slot 4 is PCIe 1.0 and you want PCIe 2.0 speed or if slot 2 has a PCIe 3.0 switch to allow PCIe 3.0 speed of TR card (e.g. if you install the TR card in a NetStor NA255A)

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
TR card is PCIe 3.0 x4. The only reason to put it in x16 slot is if you were installing it in a MacPro3,1 where slot 4 is PCIe 1.0 and you want PCIe 2.0 speed or if slot 2 has a PCIe 3.0 switch to allow PCIe 3.0 speed of TR card (e.g. if you install the TR card in a NetStor NA255A)

So putting it in an x16 PCI 2 slot won't give you effectively the same bandwidth as x4 PCI 3, because the card would only use 4 lanes, regardless of what PCI standard the slot is using?

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So putting it in an x16 PCI 2 slot won't give you effectively the same bandwidth as x4 PIC 3, because the card would only use 4 lanes, regardless of what PCI standard the slot is using?
Correct, unless there is another PCIe switch in between the TR card and the cMP, which can convert PCIe 2.0 x16 to PCIe 3.0 x8 or PCIe 4.0 x4.

Otherwise, 4 lanes on the card means the connection limited to 4 lanes, PCIe 2.0 on the cMP means the connection limited to PCIe 2.0. So, overall can't go higher than PCIe 2.0 x4.

BoomerTheBlunt

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2020
OK, so I have a Sapphire Radeon RX580 in Slot 1. If I put the TR in slot 4 as recommended, does it make a difference where I place the OWC Accelsior m.2 card and a USB3.1 rev 2 card at all? I believe they're both 4X cards anyway so I'm guessing that it wouldn't matter, but better to check than be sorry.

Also, from what I've ready, if my Titan Ridge card is not flashed for Mac, I have the option of Cold starting from Windows 10 and then restart into Mac OS? Or am I ready all that wrong? I'm not a religious man so all these blessings are foreign to me! 🤣

BoomerTheBlunt

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2020
Well, I went ahead and flashed the card. I've installed it in slot 4. I booted up and... it's not recognized. I'm assuming this is because I need to add some sort od drivers or extension for TB3 or the TR card specifically? The instructions I found all seem to point to Martin Lo's package. I installed OC using OCLP. Are these interchangeable? What do I need to do so that the card is recognized?

pwillis

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2020
Well, I went ahead and flashed the card. I've installed it in slot 4. I booted up and... it's not recognized. I'm assuming this is because I need to add some sort od drivers or extension for TB3 or the TR card specifically? The instructions I found all seem to point to Martin Lo's package. I installed OC using OCLP. Are these interchangeable? What do I need to do so that the card is recognized?
In a non-OC system, I have my TR card in slot 3 -16x (Windows soft boot) and it works just fine. Have you tried changing slots? That said, I'm still struggling with my MacPro to find the TR card using OC-Monterey.

dfiore

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2023
Apologies on reviving an old thread.

@tsialex (since you pop up in tons of searches and are seemingly the TB expert here)
I am running a MacPro 5,1 with a TitanRidge (v1) card, flashed with (TitanRidgeNVM23-E64Fr) on Ventura using OCLP 0.6.4 (RX 580 8gb)

I see the devices correctly identified in the PCI section of System Report, however no bus initiated in the TB section.

I am running a Lenovo USB display through the TR card (with the mDP to DP cables) and it works fine.

I have a Sonnet Thunderbolt Dual DP adapter and not sure if that is working, as its not shown when connected.

Quite honestly I'm not sure if it's just not showing as an initialized bus or it's not working. Ideally I would confirm working before ordering any additional TB accessories.

Can you assist?

Thanks
Dave

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

@tsialex (since you pop up in tons of searches and are seemingly the TB expert here)
I am running a MacPro 5,1 with a TitanRidge (v1) card, flashed with (TitanRidgeNVM23-E64Fr) on Ventura using OCLP 0.6.4 (RX 580 8gb)

I see the devices correctly identified in the PCI section of System Report, however no bus initiated in the TB section.

I am running a Lenovo USB display through the TR card (with the mDP to DP cables) and it works fine.

I have a Sonnet Thunderbolt Dual DP adapter and not sure if that is working, as its not shown when connected.

Quite honestly I'm not sure if it's just not showing as an initialized bus or it's not working. Ideally I would confirm working before ordering any additional TB accessories.

Can you assist?

Thanks
Dave

I don't know where you got that I'm a TB expert, I'm definitely not one and I don't own any TB devices besides a GC-TitanRidge and HighPoint 5212 dock.

Said that, you shouldn't run Ventura with a MacPro5,1, even more so to try to debug TB issues.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
BTW, this is the correct thread for TB issues with MacPro5,1:

dfiore

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2023
@tsialex Thanks for the pointer. You were the "apparent expert" likely because you post a bit and show up often in google results.

• Haha
Reactions: Pummers

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Anyway, you should debug your issues with Monterey and not Ventura running with OCLP. Ventura require an AVX2.0 supported CPU and the modifications to make it work with an unsupported CPU are extreme - forget Ventura.

Also, to correctly configure a GC-TitanRidge with a MacPro5,1 you need to do manual edits to the OpenCore config.plist and add the SSDT-TBOLT3.aml.

dfiore

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2023
I am aware of the limitations, this isnt a daily driver so poking about with it.

I have done tons of hackintoshing going way back, so this isnt foreign to me.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012

The Sonnet Thunderbolt Dual DP adapter doesn't contain any PCIe devices so it won't appear in the PCI tab of System Information.app and you don't have the Titan Ridge setup to appear in the Thunderbolt tab (requires SSDT or flashed add-in card or both - I don't know - I've never tried those methods - I just use the Thunderbolt cards for USB and also DisplayPort Alt Mode). The only way to know if the Sonnet Thunderbolt Dual DP adapter works is by connecting displays to it.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
Anyone try using a Quest 2 VR set through this card in Windows? I have a Mac Pro 5,1 (8-core 2.4GHz, 96GB RAM, AMD RX 580) dual booting macOS 12 and Windows 11 (windows boots from a SATA SSD) that I'm trying to use as a gaming computer for my daughter (I'm going to get her. real Windows machine next year). The Mac Pro passes all of the Oculus and SteamVR tests with flying colors, but I can't get the Oculus app (and by extension, Windows) to complete the pairing / connection process, so I can then use the VR set with the computer. I'm using a really good [i.e. expensive] USB 4.0 cable that allows the VR set to work in Windows on my 16" Intel MacBook Pro, connected via a USB-C 3.2 compatible card.

The card is kind of cheap, so I'm wondering if a good Thunderbolt card would do the job. Xeons aren't technically supported by the Oculus app, but when I looked up the performance of the 8 core CPU I have (2x 4 core Xeons), it performance better than the minimum Intel i5 that Meta lists for the Oculus app. I can't find anything specific on any feature set that that the i-series chips have that the TV set depends on, so in theory, the Xeons shouldn't be the issue. Especially because the Oculus app said it passed all tests.

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.