Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gelam

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2021
It can be as simple as a row of function keys and the Esc button. Esc seems to be a very import button for Pro people.
Would love a function key! And would love for them to retain the cantilever design. It's such an elegant and unique form.

Reactions: iPadified

nitrobear

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2024
I know many on this forum take everything Mark Gurman says with a grain of salt but I do believe that Apple uses him to leak info when they want and he likely does know more than the average person about Apples plans. In today's Power On newsletter there was this interesting blurb regarding the Magic Keyboard: The new aluminum Magic Keyboard is expected to be more durable, with a laptop-like aesthetic. And new software will take advantage of the hardware.

What caught my eye was the "new software to take advantage of the hardware" line. This would seem to imply different or new functionality when the keyboard is attached. This lends some credence to the oft cited rumor (based on an Apple patent) that when Magic Keyboard is attached a "pro mode" or some other software change that changes multitasking or windowing capabilities in iPadOS activates. It will be really interested on Tuesday to see if the new Magic Keyboard does indeed have special features it turns on in iPadOS and if true, would those features extend to any bluetooth keyboard/mouse connected to iPad.
It's most probably just going to turn on Stage Manager automatically when you dock the tablet into the keyboard.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Been using Brydge keyboard cases for years, now under new ownership

Wow! That's nice. I'm currently using an Apple Sheep Pro Pad keyboard myself for my iPad Gen 8, and it's nice enough given the price ($30 USD). But that Brydge Keyboard looks amazing!!

• Love
Reactions: hovscorpion12

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
LOL! It's astonishing that niche users who want this have this delusion that they are the majority of Apple's iPad user base. Nothing could be further from the truth. These folks constitute 10% at best. Everyone else likes iPad to be iPad, and if they really wanted a MacBook, they'd just buy one! (Especially now that Walmart sells M1 Airs for $699.)

These folks also imagine it would be "cheap and easy" for Apple to build iPads that run macOS, while having the faintest idea of what really goes on in Apple's engineering labs or what it's cost structure is.

Finally, these people would be terrible at business. "Let's combine Mac and iPad so now customers only have to buy ONE device, and pay us less money. Because, after all, we HATE profits."
Lots of junior high school students here use iPads with keyboards as their main device. I guess it's their lightness and portability over MacBooks that wins the day for them.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Lots of junior high school students here use iPads with keyboards as their main device. I guess it's their lightness and portability over MacBooks that wins the day for them.
Might also be an effect of the extensive iPhone usage - it suits them to have a "bigger iPhone".

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Wow! That's nice. I'm currently using an Apple Sheep Pro Pad keyboard myself for my iPad Gen 8, and it's nice enough given the price ($30 USD). But that Brydge Keyboard looks amazing!!
Some downsides are they keyboard is heavy, you lose a charging port that the Magic Keyboard gives you, have to charge the keyboard, and there were issues with the trackpad software (though maybe fixed now).

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Special iPadOS software: probably nothing more than support for function keys on the keyboard and the new Apple Pencil functions.

But I’m ready to be surprised 😊

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
So they abandoned the cantilever design for convertible? Balance might be an issue, but I suppose they would have to have figured that out.
I guess they could make the keyboard heavier - but in a useful way. Like incorporating an SSD, extra battery, display adapters, MagSafe power. USB ports, SD card reader, headphone port. Anything else?

No more dongles basically.

• Love

Salty Pirate

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
kansas city
I have a 2018 12.9 ipad pro & magic keyboard and it works great.

I read content on it and it functions in a music environment, chord charts for guitar in a live music environment.

There has been no compelling reason at all to upgrade.

In fact, the only reason at this point to upgrade it would be if it dies or it got macos like multitasking functionality.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
One of the things I'm interested in doing is buying a magnetic stand or desk mount for it. But I know manufactures have to design specifically for it.
Look into the moment iPad Pro Stand. I’ve been using it since December and it’s the best stand I’ve ever had. Expensive both worth it. On sale now at:

Moment stand

1715000827522.png

• Love

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Look into the moment iPad Pro Stand. I’ve been using it since December and it’s the best stand I’ve ever had. Expensive both worth it. On sale now at:
Looks nice! How do you have it setup with your iMac (speculating based off your sig)? Is it off to the side of it or do you keep it in front?

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I guess they could make the keyboard heavier - but in a useful way. Like incorporating an SSD, extra battery, display adapters, MagSafe power. USB ports, SD card reader, headphone port. Anything else?

I'll sell my Macbook tomorrow if this is true.

Reactions: Arran

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

I hate to think what outlandish price Apple would put on such an accessory - it would cost as much as the iPad itself.

Reactions: Arran

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I highly doubt that they would sell a laden keyboard for the same price as the current bare product.
The current keyboard will be delisted and no longer sold from the site effective when sales begin. The iPad Pro itself will see a price jump. The keyboard, no higher than $399 or same price.

It is not going to be as robust as what Arran posted. Other than Magsafe, I'm not expecting any of what was posed to come. Same 3-pin connector.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The current keyboard will be delisted and no longer sold from the site effective when sales begin. The iPad Pro itself will see a price jump. The keyboard, no higher than $399 or same price.
I think Apple keep the current keyboard (make it a lower price)… because the upcoming iPad Airs won‘t see much changes compared to the iPad Pro.

But this rumored keyboard likely is specifically tied to the new Pros.

Reactions: AlexMac89

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
LOL! It's astonishing that niche users who want this have this delusion that they are the majority of Apple's iPad user base. Nothing could be further from the truth. These folks constitute 10% at best. Everyone else likes iPad to be iPad, and if they really wanted a MacBook, they'd just buy one! (Especially now that Walmart sells M1 Airs for $699.)

These folks also imagine it would be "cheap and easy" for Apple to build iPads that run macOS, while having the faintest idea of what really goes on in Apple's engineering labs or what it's cost structure is.

Finally, these people would be terrible at business. "Let's combine Mac and iPad so now customers only have to buy ONE device, and pay us less money. Because, after all, we HATE profits."

Here we go again, LOL. Reposting this from the last thread:
I absolutely refuse to get involved in another drawn-out thread wherein we discuss how:
  • "Apple will never put macOS on an iPad" because they want to sell Macs
  • But "Yes, they should do it and be willing to cannibalize their own products and let the market decide"
  • And then someone says: "I don't want my iPad to change for my current use case..."
  • Followed by "But what if they give macOS to the iPad Pros when docked with an expensive Magic Keyboard" because by that point, you're pretty much paying the cost of a Mac anyway.
  • Until finally, we end up with, "But they'll never do it because Tim Cook is in charge."
A limited version of macOS on an iPad would not take away from basic iPad functionality for anyone and if Apple could charge enough for it, they wouldn’t have to worry about it cannibalizing their Mac business. That said, they may never do it for the aforementioned business reasons.

A more likely possibility for them is to introduce that functionality in a higher end new product line (the rumored 20 inch foldable MacBook, for instance).

Now, let’s see what they announce tomorrow.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
It's most probably just going to turn on Stage Manager automatically when you dock the tablet into the keyboard.
Why do people keep suggesting solutions that mean that the UI will change on users when they dock the tablet? One of the best things about the Magic Keyboard is just how easy it is to add a Keyboard, enter some text, and remove the keyboard and keep using the iPad.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
Why do people keep suggesting solutions that mean that the UI will change on users when they dock the tablet? One of the best things about the Magic Keyboard is just how easy it is to add a Keyboard, enter some text, and remove the keyboard and keep using the iPad.
This would be easily solved with a pop up window that asks if you want to stay in current mode. Apple’s good at this.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Looks nice! How do you have it setup with your iMac (speculating based off your sig)? Is it off to the side of it or do you keep it in front?
I have it set up on my counter where I sit most of time in the kitchen (Mac is not used much). Since it rotates I can use it in landscape or portrait. It’s so adjustable that in position I can lower it write on. Also in landscape or portrait mode I store my Apple Magic Keyboard on the base for easy slide out to type those longer notes and emails. In short I have found the iPad Pro 12.9” fits my needs perfectly to the point I actually use my 27” Mac rarely. I also rarely use my Apple iPad Pro Magic Keyboard case, the main reason being that the case does not support portrait mode for viewing the electronic version of my local newspaper.

Reactions: Ludatyk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.