Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I’m no fan of iOS 11 but these are some of the most banal complaints I’ve heard about it.

Slide to unlock had to go because of a patent dispute apparently. I’ve mostly forgotten about it. You still get “slide to power off”.

Never look at or care about the signal bar. I live in a major city so it’s never a problem, but the new one still “works” doesn’t it? I’ve forgotten what the old one was already.

Edit: The dots apparently. They were kind of dumb.

Reactions: ohio.emt and PR1985

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
For the conspiracy theorists, here's a hard, sad fact. There is not a single electronic device (phone, tablet, computer, anything) that doesn't get worse as it ages. EVERYTHING gets old, and new OS's are built to run well on the newest hardware. If you've got an iphone 6 of course your battery will not last as long and of course it won't be as fast as an iphone 8 on ios11. That's the same with an android phone and a windows computer, it's not just apple.

Why can't people understand this??????

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
For the conspiracy theorists, here's a hard, sad fact. There is not a single electronic device (phone, tablet, computer, anything) that doesn't get worse as it ages. EVERYTHING gets old, and new OS's are built to run well on the newest hardware. If you've got an iphone 6 of course your battery will not last as long and of course it won't be as fast as an iphone 8 on ios11. That's the same with an android phone and a windows computer, it's not just apple.

Computers do not slow down if you take proper care of your Windows installation. My PC is running Windows 10 and its been upgraded all the way from Windows 7 and it still runs perfectlyt as it did when it was new

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
You are completely missing my point, hardware DOES slow down when compared with the newest equipment.

Reactions: PR1985

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
This is why I don't mind that android devices don't update as frequently. Just send me a security patch but give me the option to stay where I am if it's working well.

Whatever, Apple will be Apple right?

My Note 3 is still just as good as it was years ago. My 5c, bless its heart, just isn't.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Has anyone ever pondered why Apple today in its most recent iOS update which is iOS 11 has removed most of the uniqueness that was superior to iOS ?

Right from its creation features like slide to unlock which made it easy to unlock your iOS device with just a power button slide to unlock and your passcode and you're right in but these days you'd have to click home button even after pressing your power button especially older iPhone devices where your Touch ID functionality doesn't seems to be accurate most of the time due to sweat and other things.

Second of all is the old signal bar which was very unique to iOS Apple brought back the old iOS signal that was peculiar to very old iOS 3,4,5&6..

Apple is playing catch up on us all they want to render older devices totally useless with the new iOS updates they aren't updating iOS putting into consideration the older devices they only in focus about the newer devices .

At this point I can say that ios 11 was built in consideration to the new iPhone x and nothing else trust me both the new control center and signal bar on iOS 11 was built because of the iPhone 10 where the top notch of the iPhone 10 took a lot of space

Hence no space for the old signal bar and also the control center on iPhone 10 if you notice you'll have to swipe down from the right edge of the screen to get into it .. this was all tricks built in consideration for iPhone 10 and that's why the new updates doesn't seem to work smooth on iOS older devices.

I disagree. I like clicking the home button better, and I like the new signal bar better for its easier to read. Also my iPhone 6s works great with iOS 11.
[doublepost=1508759947][/doublepost]
Yeah my point is you don't just ignore the older devices entirely and not considering things like speed and all of that after all the older devices were once optimized for iOS properly.

They have not! I have a iPhone 6S and a iPad Mini 4 and they both work great with iOS 11.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PR1985 and KGB7

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
This is why I don't mind that android devices don't update as frequently. Just send me a security patch but give me the option to stay where I am if it's working well.

Whatever, Apple will be Apple right?

My Note 3 is still just as good as it was years ago. My 5c, bless its heart, just isn't.
Serious question, how often do non-Pixel Android devices get security updates? Not very often I guess?

Anyway, not talking about you but cool to see all these shills register to post - your checks are on the way girls and boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: PR1985

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Computers do not slow down if you take proper care of your Windows installation. My PC is running Windows 10 and its been upgraded all the way from Windows 7 and it still runs perfectlyt as it did when it was new
I disagree, Windows computers do slow down so it’s a proper statement. Maybe yours doesn’t but I rebuild my primary partition once a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: decafjava

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
In the last few days Apple is getting a lot of criticism because of their obvious planned obsolescence crap with every new iOS and are about to lose a lot of customers.
Simple solution is for Apple to allow any device to load any OS back to the one it shipped with. Currently if you're unhappy with new OS .......too bad, upgrade hardware.
[doublepost=1508764271][/doublepost]
Why can't Apple understand this??????

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
All of this love and hate has been going on for years. Nothing new or different with each person having their own point of view; compared to the previous operating system which is always perfection.
[doublepost=1508763336][/doublepost]
I disagree, Windows computers do slow down so it’s a proper statement. Maybe yours doesn’t but I rebuild my primary partition once a year.
My Windows 7 computer was almost unusable last winter - just another reason I went Mac in January.

Reactions: I7guy

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
My Windows 7 computer was almost unusable last winter - just another reason I went Mac in January.
Point is - your choice: you can still load Windows 95 on your computer if you so desire or feel it makes your computer more usable. Sooner or later everyone agrees; hardware and software becomes obsolete; it's your choice.

Reactions: Kalloud

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

What made it unusable? I have an older laptop running Windows 7 and when I first got it it I thought it was blazing fast. It still runs perfectly fine today, like the day I bought it, but compared to my new Windows 10 laptop running off an SSD it seems slower than heck. The old laptop didn't slow down a bit but relative to today's machine it is extremely slow.

-BigMac-

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Well, that's not a good way to look at it, when Apple advertises years of updates for it's phone. Might as well not offer an update if it won't be optimized for said device. People bash Android fans all the time about getting updates late, but at least they don't plague the devices with bugs, crashes, freezes, etc.
Apple could easily tomorrow say the newest iOS will only be available on that years newest iPhones and save themselves a world of development costs.

Right now they offer a choice to the user, if people still complain about the choice THEY make themselves, then maybe Apple shouldnt give any choice to a user and lock them on a certain OS version

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Right now they offer a choice to the user, if people still complain about the choice THEY make themselves, then maybe Apple shouldnt give any choice to a user and lock them on a certain OS version

NO, APPLE DOESN'T. You are only half correct. Apple does everything it can to convince you to make the choice to upgrade OS, then immediately locks you into that choice. Again - a downgrade path should be part of the OS upgrade "choice" . Choice - it's a simple concept.

wcroadie

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
Philly PA
I’m no fan of iOS 11 but these are some of the most banal complaints I’ve heard about it.

Slide to unlock had to go because of a patent dispute apparently. I’ve mostly forgotten about it. You still get “slide to power off”.

Never look at or care about the signal bar. I live in a major city so it’s never a problem, but the new one still “works” doesn’t it? I’ve forgotten what the old one was already.

Edit: The dots apparently. They were kind of dumb.
Yup, I am with you, I forgot about the slide to unlock until I read this thread, lol.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I thought slide to unlock was removed last year because Apple hadn’t sold an iPhone without Touch ID since 2013 and an iPad without Touch ID since 2014. Most people unlock their devices using the fingerprint reader and had stopped using slide to unlock some time ago. Removing it seemed only natural and it allowed for easy access to widgets from the lock screen instead.

If anything, that change was catering to devices with Touch ID home buttons, not to devices without a home button.

Reactions: Kalloud

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Reality is just not that exciting for many, so more "interesting" takes on things are imagined.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well, that's not a good way to look at it, when Apple advertises years of updates for it's phone. Might as well not offer an update if it won't be optimized for said device. People bash Android fans all the time about getting updates late, but at least they don't plague the devices with bugs, crashes, freezes, etc.

I don't think your view is a good way of looking at it either and nor is your attitude any different. iOS may have affected some, but your acting like it's a pandemic affecting users across the board, when a tech forum is used for conjoining complaints and issues noted.

And for the record, I don't see Android bashing "All the time" on here. Everyone has different appreciations and experiences with both Platforms, it's just not shares the same views, which isn't also reflective outside a tech forum of what others might be experiencing.

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
The truth is somewhere in the middle here.

Yes, hardware gets older over time. But Apple needs to keep releasing iOS updates to compete in the space including new features that take up memory and processing power. Yes, it will run best on their newest hardware. Yes, older hardware may seem a bit sluggish for that reason.

But I really don't think Apple is conspiring to slow down older devices. They have so many customers on 5th & 6th gen iPhones it just doesn't make sense. I do think they make some effort to optimize iOS on older devices; unfortunately this is not a priority and probably happens after the major bugs are fixed.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
The truth is somewhere in the middle here.

Yes, hardware gets older over time. But Apple needs to keep releasing iOS updates to compete in the space including new features that take up memory and processing power. Yes, it will run best on their newest hardware. Yes, older hardware may seem a bit sluggish for that reason.

But I really don't think Apple is conspiring to slow down older devices. They have so many customers on 5th & 6th gen iPhones it just doesn't make sense. I do think they make some effort to optimize iOS on older devices; unfortunately this is not a priority and probably happens after the major bugs are fixed.

Cannot thumbs up this post enough.This is the simple, logical answer.

Reactions: Sharkoneau

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne

I had an 8 year old iMac, built like a tank it was. Never had to rebuild it once during the 8 years and while I retired it from heavy graphics work after 4-5 years, it was still used by the better half as her home work computer and it ran very smoothly.... didn't notice any slowdown for normal software. Photoshop and Premier etc are brutal on older hardware and you accept/expect it.

That iMac confirmed my choice to abandon Windows, which always required a 6-12 month rebuild just to keep it ticking along.

After those 8 years, I put it up for sale (with original box :) and made £270 from it. I had to beg people to take previous windows laptops that were only 3-4 years old!

While Apple aren't perfect, I've found their gear to age very gracefully and provide many many years of service.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I really don't see the point (unless you are diagnosing an issue) of the signal indicator.

The only one I really care about is "No Service".

Other than change my location, there isn't anything actionable I can do about 1 bar vs 5 bars. And even then it really doesn't make that big of a deal.

I get 5 or 6 Mbps download speed at my house with 4 bars. At other locations I can get 15 with 1 bar. Not very useful, not enough to always be there on the display.

wcroadie

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
Philly PA
I had an 8 year old iMac, built like a tank it was. Never had to rebuild it once during the 8 years and while I retired it from heavy graphics work after 4-5 years, it was still used by the better half as her home work computer and it ran very smoothly.... didn't notice any slowdown for normal software. Photoshop and Premier etc are brutal on older hardware and you accept/expect it.

That iMac confirmed my choice to abandon Windows, which always required a 6-12 month rebuild just to keep it ticking along.

After those 8 years, I put it up for sale (with original box :) and made £270 from it. I had to beg people to take previous windows laptops that were only 3-4 years old!

While Apple aren't perfect, I've found their gear to age very gracefully and provide many many years of service.
I was once an apple denier, I have worked in IT for 19years, at one job around 2011 my COO was a huge Mac guy and wanted an iMac, I set it up for him and was amazed, then I got an iphone, soon after I got a MBP, I still have that late 2011 MBP and use that at home as my primary laptop. I have converted half my current co-workers to use MBA's, I will never go back to windows again, ever! My MBP still functions as it did the day I opened the box. Meanwhile I have bought countless windows laptops for my sister and inlaws and they constantly need me to replace them.

Reactions: Toonartist

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I was once an apple denier, I have worked in IT for 19years, at one job around 2011 my COO was a huge Mac guy and wanted an iMac, I set it up for him and was amazed, then I got an iphone, soon after I got a MBP, I still have that late 2011 MBP and use that at home as my primary laptop. I have converted half my current co-workers to use MBA's, I will never go back to windows again, ever! My MBP still functions as it did the day I opened the box. Meanwhile I have bought countless windows laptops for my sister and inlaws and they constantly need me to replace them.

That old iMac took a tumble from a table onto the floor. It was from 2008 and had that 8mm thick Aluminium band around the outside. I was uploading images to an agency at the time. My heart sank but when I looked closer, the animation confirmed it was still uploading and the only damage was to the wooden floor... sizeable dint :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.