Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
That to me is precisely Apple’s strength. They control both the hardware and software and are able to design the appearance of the OS such that it best complements the hardware and vice versa.

Android manufacturers also control the software and hardware. They might not have built the software from scratch but they can make modifications to suit their hardware.

Apple didn't build iOS from scratch, it is based off of mac os and BSD kernel. Apple sources hardware from multiple sources and uses device drivers in iOS as well, using an abstraction layer. iOS apps don't directly interact with the hardware, they use apis offered by the os.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
With notched iPhones being the only options from next year, it makes poor business sense to optimise iOS for the older iPhones with home buttons. Its better to optimise it for iPhone X so the next year's iPhones benefit as well.

So you are calling the iPhone 8 an old device?

wcroadie

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
Philly PA
That old iMac took a tumble from a table onto the floor. It was from 2008 and had that 8mm thick Aluminium band around the outside. I was uploading images to an agency at the time. My heart sank but when I looked closer, the animation confirmed it was still uploading and the only damage was to the wooden floor... sizeable dint :)
Nice! Things like that just help prove my point when people argue Macs are overpriced, you get what you pay for. I paid $1250 for my MBP which was a refurb from Apple, my bro in law has spent close to 3k on shoddy hp notebooks in the same timeframe. Not to mention dealing with update after update that take forever and paying for crap OS's

Reactions: Toonartist

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Android manufacturers also control the software and hardware. They might not have built the software from scratch but they can make modifications to suit their hardware.

Apple didn't build iOS from scratch, it is based off of mac os and BSD kernel. Apple sources hardware from multiple sources and uses device drivers in iOS as well, using an abstraction layer. iOS apps don't directly interact with the hardware, they use apis offered by the os.
So you are essentially saying Apple controls the hardware and software while most android manufactures control the hardware and to certain degrees the software.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Well, the real problem is, that we simply don’t own our iOS devices.
We are somehow tied to the AppStore, and we can’t downgrade iOS, nor officially sideload Apps.

How to explain, hmmm it’s like a vicious circle:
iOS hardware is tied to AppStore.
AppStore is tied to Apple.
Apps are tied to AppStore
Devs tied to Xcode
Xcode tied to Apple.

Hard to visualize the (made on purpose) dependency and relationship between all these (by Apple controlled) variables.

Anyway, Apple removes Xcode support for older iOS versions on purpose, but at the same time the AppStore demands new binaries build with the newest Xcode.
In other words, Devs can’t simply develop or backport features and release a new App version for e.g. older iOS versions or older devices. Then Apps like e.g. messengers or cloud storages slowly becomes unusable/unstable, soon as their access api changes. etc.

Yes, they give us the option not to upgrade iOS, but on the other side they technically forces us to upgrades. Because if we don’t, we are trapped, and things stops working sooner than later.
And at the same time, they also add more e.g. fancy animations or transparency to the UI of these new iOS versions, etc, which logically needs more hardware resources.

Windows is not like that, if i wanted to, i could even instantly compile something for win95 and release it.
Android is limited too, but not that restrictive, because it allows users officially to sideload apps.

Last edited:

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Serious question, how often do non-Pixel Android devices get security updates? Not very often I guess?

Anyway, not talking about you but cool to see all these shills register to post - your checks are on the way girls and boys.

Honestly my V30 will be the first Android I won't likely be able to put a ROM on. So I got my security patches from updating the ROM I was on. They did release small patches directly but it wasn't as often as the official Google line I'm sure.

So security isn't something that matters unless and until something actually happens?

It's easier to secure your own device. At least it used to be in the ROM days. That's what I miss most now, too many locked bootloaders. I'll take a voided warranty.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
So security isn't something that matters unless and until something actually happens?

Security matters but you have to look at the level of flaws that are found (do you need physical access to the phone to exploit a flaw or can it target someone remotely) and alsoso realize there isn't just one security method of protection in place (example: even though stage fright wasn't patched on many devices, the devices use aslr ram to randomize groups of memory so it is harder to use that flaw.).

Back to the question, how often do you hear about someone losing data or money due to an android flaw.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
So, to sum up, because they changed the signal bar this year and removed slide to unlock a year ago iOS is built for the X because... reasons?
You do realize - well, I think you don't - that Apple has hardware and software design ideas, plans, concepts, etc planned years in advance ?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
You do realize - well, I think you don't - that Apple has hardware and software design ideas, plans, concepts, etc planned years in advance ?

I do. Now what, pray tell, does removing show to unlock have to do with the iPhone X?

Hint: it was removed because of touch id, introduced 4 years ago.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Thank you for this ! Now I see someone that's reasoning with me well on this , don't ignore the fact that when iOS 10 came out it ran smoothly on all devices and the speed was nothing to speak of even on the older devices that you didn't think would work well with it like the iPhone 5

iOS 10 was fast on all devices? Are you a comedian? Has Netflix contacted you for a special yet?

bashman2020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
somewhere on earth
Smh so why Apple stopped signing the iOS that came with the device ???
If you want your old devices to be optimized, run the software which was optimized for it. The iOS number which it came installed with, period.
[doublepost=1508837663][/doublepost]This is too accurate And there's nothing like you can't downgrade back to the os that came with the device
Well, that's not a good way to look at it, when Apple advertises years of updates for it's phone. Might as well not offer an update if it won't be optimized for said device. People bash Android fans all the time about getting updates late, but at least they don't plague the devices with bugs, crashes, freezes, etc.
[doublepost=1508837921][/doublepost]Dude we ain't saying each software release doesn't come with bugs and complains ... point being here is that iOS 11 bugs and complains way too much than the previous releases, get your facts right ... too many lags everywhere on iOS ... imagine I have like almost 10 people where I live complain about their phones bugging on iOS 11 and most of them are iPhone 6, iphone 6plus, iPhone 6s and even iPhone 7
[doublepost=1508838155][/doublepost]
My 4-year-old iPhone 5s works fine with iOS 11 and I'm not missing any features.

Slide-to-unlock was to keep your phone from unlocking at random in your pocket -- we don't need it anymore with TouchID.

I love how people complain that Apple doesn't innovate and complain that they change features over time. Which do you want?
Run third party apps on it and see what we're talking about here and you obviously don't use the device as your daily driver
[doublepost=1508838337][/doublepost]
You buy the phone for what it is and not what it's going to be. Android's approach is just fine and honestly these iOS updates are more headache than what they are worth.
Exactly why offer updates to older devices when you're just going to ruin the phone's functionality and render it useless intentionally . Do they not make these softwares, do Apple not test them acrosss all their devices what the heck
[doublepost=1508838524][/doublepost]
For the conspiracy theorists, here's a hard, sad fact. There is not a single electronic device (phone, tablet, computer, anything) that doesn't get worse as it ages. EVERYTHING gets old, and new OS's are built to run well on the newest hardware. If you've got an iphone 6 of course your battery will not last as long and of course it won't be as fast as an iphone 8 on ios11. That's the same with an android phone and a windows computer, it's not just apple.

Why can't people understand this??????
You don't have no facts here brother , what are we saying ? What are you saying ... I think you should read the thread here and understand what we're talking about
[doublepost=1508838638][/doublepost]
You are completely missing my point, hardware DOES slow down when compared with the newest equipment.
Hardware doesn't it's the softwares updates that does cmon what are you talking about here , you say hardware when older devices running their preinstalled os still works fine and you're here saying hardware
[doublepost=1508838774][/doublepost]God bless you for this I mean isn't this what we're just talking about
[doublepost=1508839020][/doublepost]
God bless you for this I mean isn't this what we're just talking about
[doublepost=1508839350][/doublepost]
Simple solution is for Apple to allow any device to load any OS back to the one it shipped with. Currently if you're unhappy with new OS .......too bad, upgrade hardware.
[doublepost=1508764271][/doublepost]
Why can't Apple understand this??????
Thank you that's the solution to go back to any os that was preinstalled with the device and talking about security updates let them include it across all those os. Take for instance android they release security patches for each devices not entirely the way Apple does it's security patches like the krack wifi vulnerability issue . Let apple allow users to go back to any preinstalled iOS and along side get security patches for that particular device

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Dude we ain't saying each software release doesn't come with bugs and complains ... point being here is that iOS 11 bugs and complains way too much than the previous releases, get your facts right ... too many lags everywhere on iOS ... imagine I have like almost 10 people where I live complain about their phones bugging on iOS 11 and most of them are iPhone 6, iphone 6plus, iPhone 6s and even iPhone 7
It's about the same as it's been over at least a number of years and iOS versions now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.