Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
So they announced that iPhone 7 could now save videos in H.265. What they didn't really mention is what happens when you send this video to someone else on a different device?

Have all 64 bit devices had H265 enabled, or does the iPhone 7 now convert it to H.264 before sending? Anyone care to try?

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
I am curious about this too. I also wonder if my last gen iPad Pro will be able to play it. Or the Apple TV. I feel certain my 2012 quad-core Mac Mini will choke on it. So yes, does it transcode to share? That seems like it would be very processor intensive and slow.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
He did say something about sharing with other devices wasn't a problem, but I believe that was about the new non-JPG photos and not specifically about the videos. I assume it won't be a problem for videos either, but some details would be nice indeed.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
I am curious about this too. I also wonder if my last gen iPad Pro will be able to play it. Or the Apple TV. I feel certain my 2012 quad-core Mac Mini will choke on it. So yes, does it transcode to share? That seems like it would be very processor intensive and slow.

I expect the mac mini would, any macs with haswell should be fine if they use the hybrid decode functionality.

Really curious about iOS devices, potentially A7 might not be able to handle it, but the A8 (iPhone 6 in particular) used to have H.265 down for FaceTime usage, if that had hw decode potential then it might make its way to the ATV as well at some point.

I may have got this incorrect however, and Apple are just bypassing the hardware decode/encode licensing fees and using the processor to transcode...
[doublepost=1496698312][/doublepost]
He did say something about sharing with other devices wasn't a problem, but I believe that was about the new non-JPG photos and not specifically about the videos. I assume it won't be a problem for videos either, but some details would be nice indeed.

Yeah, it wasn't very clear what he meant by that, so would love some clarification on the matter. Even just trying to play an H.265 video on any device running iOS 11 would be useful to see (using the native video player).

nicolafaraone92

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
So they announced that iPhone 7 could now save videos in H.265. What they didn't really mention is what happens when you send this video to someone else on a different device?

Have all 64 bit devices had H265 enabled, or does the iPhone 7 now convert it to H.264 before sending? Anyone care to try?

This feature is available also for iphone 6S or only 7 ?

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
I just did some test with my 7+ (on ios11) and my girlfriend's iPhone SE (latest stable iOS 10)

The video I filmed was in HEVC. When I sent it to her phone with AirDrop, there was a small animation on the AirDrop icon before being sent, it was converting. The video she got on her phone was in h.264 format, I can't airplay it on my ATV 4, but I haven't updated it yet. She can AirPlay the converted file.

I checked the video format by importing my original video and importing the same video I sent to her phone.

HEVC is half the size for the same quality! :)

Edit: updated with all info.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 8.33.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 8.33.45 PM.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,870
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 8.33.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 8.33.56 PM.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,853

nicolafaraone92

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
I just did some test with my 7+ (on ios11) and my girlfriend's iPhone SE (latest stable iOS 10)

The video I filmed was in HEVC. When I sent it to her phone with AirDrop, there was a small animation on the AirDrop icon before being sent, it was converting. The video she got on her phone was in h.264 format, I can't airplay it on my ATV 4, but I haven't updated it yet. She can AirPlay the converted file.

I checked the video format by importing my original video and importing the same video I sent to her phone.

HEVC is half the size for the same quality! :)

Edit: updated with all info.

Can u tell me if iphone 6S or SE with ios 11 can record/filmed in HEVC like iphone 7 ? (or is only a feature for iphone 7 ?)

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
I'll wait for b2 or b3 to update her phone, the interface is laggy a bit and she's not going to appreciate me putting a beta on her phone :p I will report back at this point!

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Supposedly the A8 and newer have H.265 hardware decode (although maybe not in 4K??) and Haswell (i.e. 4th gen, circa 2013) Intel processors and newer have H.265 hardware decode so it should work on devices of that age or newer natively.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Supposedly the A8 and newer have H.265 hardware decode (although maybe not in 4K??) and Haswell (i.e. 4th gen, circa 2013) Intel processors and newer have H.265 hardware decode so it should work on devices of that age or newer natively.
The High Sierra preview page on Apple.com says that only 6th generation or newer Intel CPUs are supported (which is Skylake, I believe).

Abestos

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
Been an android user for a long time. Wanted to switch to iPhone but, the lack of file manager and h265 is stopping me from doing so until today.

Anybody can take a screenshot of the file app if you're on beta?

Also, anyone kind enough to help test what h265 the iPhone 7 can play. Is it hardware decode or software decode? Maybe test it with VLC player also.

http://jell.yfish.us , click show hevc.
Test the 1080p 8 bit, 4k 8bit, 1080Hi10 and 4kHi10.

Will appreciate very much if anyone can do the test. Finally will be able to jump to the iOS bandwagon!

007p

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
This feature is available also for iphone 6S or only 7 ?

Only the iphone 7, and maybe new iPad pros, can record / save with h.265/HEVC.

What I am curious about is whether other devices can play it on iOS 11.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
The High Sierra preview page on Apple.com says that only 6th generation or newer Intel CPUs are supported (which is Skylake, I believe).

That makes sense. Haswell can only H.264 and MPEG2 in HW. Broadwell added VP8. Skylake and Kabylake can do HEVC in HW (and VP9).
[doublepost=1496751987][/doublepost]
Been an android user for a long time. Wanted to switch to iPhone but, the lack of file manager and h265 is stopping me from doing so until today.

Anybody can take a screenshot of the file app if you're on beta?

Also, anyone kind enough to help test what h265 the iPhone 7 can play. Is it hardware decode or software decode? Maybe test it with VLC player also.

http://jell.yfish.us , click show hevc.
Test the 1080p 8 bit, 4k 8bit, 1080Hi10 and 4kHi10.

Will appreciate very much if anyone can do the test. Finally will be able to jump to the iOS bandwagon!

I think existing 3rd party apps won't work because until now Apple didn't expose HEVC in CoreVideo (the A/V framework).

Abestos

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
That makes sense. Haswell can only H.264 and MPEG2 in HW. Broadwell added VP8. Skylake and Kabylake can do HEVC in HW (and VP9).
[doublepost=1496751987][/doublepost]

I think existing 3rd party apps won't work because until now Apple didn't expose HEVC in CoreVideo (the A/V framework).

This is sad. Hopefully they will do it in the future. But if natively can support a h265 10 bit, with AC3 audio codec, and subtitle, I am still able to live with it.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Has anybody tried shooting a 4K video on the 7 or 7 Plus? I only ever shoot 4K, so have my fingers crossed that gets HEVC. If it doesn't the feature would be a bit of a bust.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Only the iphone 7, and maybe new iPad pros, can record / save with h.265/HEVC.

What I am curious about is whether other devices can play it on iOS 11.
bummer, was hoping the 6s would get the space savings for video....

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Can someone post a sample video and a sample photo of the two new file formats?

edit: I downloaded a sample H.265 video (not from an iPhone 7) and macOS High Sierra (QuickTime) cannot handle the file format yet.

Last edited:

Xrzysiek

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
Can someone post a sample video and a sample photo of the two new file formats?

edit: I downloaded a sample H.265 video (not from an iPhone 7) and macOS High Sierra (QuickTime) cannot handle the file format yet.

strange - I recorded some videos on my iPhone 7 with iOS11 and then conneced to the Windows and copied to my Desktop then opened via VLC - it shows H264 codec even when I recorded in 4K

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
So it seems the new formats aren't implemented yet and we can hope that iPhone 6S also get the new formats in one of the next betas.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
exactly - the new formats aren't implemented yet
might not be true. in camera settings, under format, you have a 'transfer to mac or pc' option where you can set it to automatic or keep originals. It is set to automatic by default and it says 'automatically transfer photos and videos in a compatible format'.

Reactions: billchase2

dmnc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
HEVC 4K is exclusive for the iPhone 7. It will be supported for the other resolutions on other iPhone models.

Xrzysiek

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
might not be true. in camera settings, under format, you have a 'transfer to mac or pc' option where you can set it to automatic or keep originals. It is set to automatic by default and it says 'automatically transfer photos and videos in a compatible format'.

you're right! I changed the option and now:

movie recorded with H264 has 32 MB
movie recorded with HEVC has 14 MB

great! I will check with pictures now

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
My 2.6GHz i7 Mac mini (late 2012) does fine playing 1080p HEVC through Plex, VLC, and a few other video players. It can't handle 4K HEVC; it stutters badly. (I switched to HEVC for all of my video-encoding a year or two ago.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.