Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xrzysiek

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
ok iPhone 7 created file IMG_0835.HEIC with 1,7 MB and IMG_0835.JPG with 3,9 MB
Windows 10 cant open HEIC file but I'm very happy :D I can save lot of memory space now

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
That makes sense. Haswell can only H.264 and MPEG2 in HW. Broadwell added VP8. Skylake and Kabylake can do HEVC in HW (and VP9).
[doublepost=1496751987][/doublepost]

I think existing 3rd party apps won't work because until now Apple didn't expose HEVC in CoreVideo (the A/V framework).
I don't know which Macs have Skylake but I have the 2015 Macbook pro and I can stream HEVC videos to AppleTV using the Beamer app. Works more then great (even in 1080p). Of course VLC and the mpv app can play HEVC files (in 1080p) on a Macbook pro Mid 2009 (on OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks). But that old machine can only stream 720p HECV video to Apple TV (using Beamer), not 1080p.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Xrzysiek. You are GREAT. MANY THANKS.

Adobe Photoshop cannot open these files. Final Cut Pro can import them perfectly.

Last edited:

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I expect the mac mini would, any macs with haswell should be fine if they use the hybrid decode functionality.

Really curious about iOS devices, potentially A7 might not be able to handle it, but the A8 (iPhone 6 in particular) used to have H.265 down for FaceTime usage, if that had hw decode potential then it might make its way to the ATV as well at some point.

I may have got this incorrect however, and Apple are just bypassing the hardware decode/encode licensing fees and using the processor to transcode...
[doublepost=1496698312][/doublepost]

Yeah, it wasn't very clear what he meant by that, so would love some clarification on the matter. Even just trying to play an H.265 video on any device running iOS 11 would be useful to see (using the native video player).

If I recall correctly, when they were talking about the new video format H.265, they showed one of the Apple TV screensaver's, so I am just taking a wild guess that Apple TV (4th Gen.) will be able to support it with HW Decode.

:apple:

Reactions: QuarterSwede

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
Just realised the new lowish end windows video card I bought shopping with a new 4k monitor can do full gpu hevc decode at 4k. Yay

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Would current photos occupy less space after upgrading to iOS 11 or would it apply only to new photos/videos?

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
does the iPhone 7 now convert it to H.264 before sending? Anyone care to try?

This depends on where it is being sent. I haven't tested anything myself, but according to what was said in the WWDC State of the Union video, if transferring between devices that are known to be able to handle them, HEVC/HEIF formats would be maintained, but for anything else (e.g. emailing a video file to someone), the device would automatically convert to the older formats (H.264 or JPEG, respectively) for better compatibility.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
edit: I downloaded a sample H.265 video (not from an iPhone 7) and macOS High Sierra (QuickTime) cannot handle the file format yet.
After tried different samples there seem to be some files that works and some who don't. I can't get ffmpeg or handbrake to create valid files. The example files from X265 and Elecard works. Quicktime do support h265 and on my 2014 MBP 13" it playbacks 4k h265 video just fine.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Why is everyone blabbering about h.265 or HEVC? Why no one is addressing the issue head-on by asking few important questions like

1. h.265 files are standard with mkv container. Does iPhone support mvk?
2. mp4 container is outdated and does not support h.265 video stream. So what is Apple using?
3. m4a container also does not support DTS, DTSHD-MA, Dolby ATMOS audio codecs. Will Apple support it?
4. How will HDR metadata be embedded?

007p

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Why is everyone blabbering about h.265 or HEVC? Why no one is addressing the issue head-on by asking few important questions like

2. mp4 container is outdated and does not support h.265 video stream. So what is Apple using?
3. m4a container also does not support DTS, DTSHD-MA, Dolby ATMOS audio codecs. Will Apple support it?

1. No, iOS will not natively support MKV. But there's no reason third party apps couldn't take advantage of the he decoder if it exists (i'd like to find out on what devices it does exist for).
2. Since when is MP4 out dated? H.265 stream works fine in an MP4 container?? Maybe not on iOS though.
3. No Apple will not be supporting those audio codecs natively on an iOS device. There's no point. Think people are going a bit off topic by mentioning macOS and tvOS.

4. No idea about that :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirasaki

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
1. No. But, also h.265 is not a standard with MKV, there are no standard codec for MKV, you are free to use a codec to your taste, but h264 is the most common. h265 is catching on as it is better for 4k content.
2. MP4 supports h265 perfectly fine, and is what Apple is using.
3. There is not an m4a container per se, it is just a filename extension to help (or confuse) people to understand that here is an audio file. MP4 supports those streams just as well as Matroska.
4. Usually in the elementary video stream.

Now, those questions are irrelevant for HEVC support anyway.

Reactions: dmnc and Shirasaki

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Check mp4 container specs. It officially supports maximum h.264 as per wikipedia page Here

Maybe the wiki needs to be updated.

Now, those questions are irrelevant for HEVC support anyway.

Those questions irrelevant? Are you kidding me? The questions and answers were the most informative things.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Check mp4 container specs. [...] Those questions irrelevant? Are you kidding me? The questions and answers were the most informative things.

Don't use Wikipedia as a reference. Use the actual sources. http://mpeg.chiariglione.org/standards/mpeg-4/iso-base-media-file-format and http://www.mp4ra.org/codecs.html

Anyway I can assure you that h265 works fine with MP4 format. I have used it for several years. And as Apple at last have added the codec to their OS they are also in the MP4 container format. The MP4 container format is Apples "own" and thus I hardly expect Apple to use or support MKV. Although the Files app do identify MKV files as Matroska files.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
So is CoreVideo in iOS11 exposing HEVC decoding for any third party app to use?
Infuse with hardware HEVC decoding coming soon?

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
So is CoreVideo in iOS11 exposing HEVC decoding for any third party app to use?
Infuse with hardware HEVC decoding coming soon?
Session 503 and 511 at the WWDC apparently have a lot of information of how to use them in your app. Currently the information is rather sparse.

stol

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Greece
I did some tests on a Mac Mini 2012 (i7 quad), see this other post: HEVC Support for results

Bottom line:
Check if your mp4 files are up to profile Main 10@L4@High with Codec ID (fourcc) 'hvc1'

Handbrake, for example, does not produce compatible files yet (writes another Codec ID), but the actual hevc stream contained is compatible, there are ways around it.

I have an iPhone SE I want to check with iOS 11 for compatibility, but I need it for dev work right now, so, I won't be testing this until the weekend probably.

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2011
So what's the conclusion on 6s/6s+? It supports HEVC but only up to 1080p? Is this right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.