Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
small quality loss but great compression gain, for those who want quality can use the Manual app to shoot RAW-DNG
Yes, most third party camera apps support RAW or some lossless format. HEIF image quality will improve with upgrades to the HEVC encoder, and when apps gain HEVC compatibility, there will be options to choose quality vs size of the stored image. I am curious if the Apple have chosen rather low quality setting in its camera app, to ensure fast storage and very little lag. I have converted some RAW images to HEIF in FFMPEG with the “placebo” setting and and quality setting equal to creating file size a typical “80%” jpeg quality file gives and the quality is remarkably better.

Reactions: djcristi

buklauu

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
This is more than amazing. Does anybody know if there will be an option to convert the existing iCloud Photo Library to HEIC/HEVC? That would be awesome.

You might save space but transcoding from JPG to HEIC/HEVC might make them look worse. Ideally a copy of the originals (before it was converted to JPG/H.264) would be used to create the new HEIC/HEVC versions.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Having some issues. I have an 8 Plus and I have tried 4K @ 60 and 1080 @ 60 in the High Efficiency format (HEVC). However when I import these to my MacBook which is running High Sierra, they are coming up as H.264?

How did you import the video?
I used the utility image capture and when I open the video in the player I read H264.
By the way the video is really laggy on my iMac, while it plays smooth on the iPhone. I'm talking about the 4K video at 60fps, the 1080 version is smooth on the Mac as well

I haven't upgraded to High Sierra yet, so that might be the reason why it is converted in H264

lawyerchu

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
I just did some test with my 7+ (on ios11) and my girlfriend's iPhone SE (latest stable iOS 10)

The video I filmed was in HEVC. When I sent it to her phone with AirDrop, there was a small animation on the AirDrop icon before being sent, it was converting. The video she got on her phone was in h.264 format, I can't airplay it on my ATV 4, but I haven't updated it yet. She can AirPlay the converted file.

I checked the video format by importing my original video and importing the same video I sent to her phone.

HEVC is half the size for the same quality! :)

Edit: updated with all info.
I believe when you share your HEVC picutres or films with AirDrop, it always will be converted in jpeg or H.264 format.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
This has been implemented poorly.

First, better compression efficiency should not be an excuse to reduce quality, rather the opposite! They should’ve used a compression setting for HEIF that at least matched the quality of the former JPGs, if not exceeded it. A 40-50% size reduction would’ve still been great. 80-100% is overkill.

Personally I would’ve liked a lossless option as well, which I’m sure HEIF supports, but I guess I have to buy a third-party camera app for that which is stupid.

I can’t help but think Apple gets almost nothing right in software anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Todhunter

Hitchophilia

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
So I just got my iPhone X and iOS11.1..

Seems I can have jpg for photos and HEVC for 4k60p.

This was verified when importing the files through image capture on High Sierra.

Seems you can have the best of both worlds. Anyone else confirm?

Reactions: djcristi

Olidammara

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
I just did some test with my 7+ (on ios11) and my girlfriend's iPhone SE (latest stable iOS 10)

The video I filmed was in HEVC. When I sent it to her phone with AirDrop, there was a small animation on the AirDrop icon before being sent, it was converting. The video she got on her phone was in h.264 format, I can't airplay it on my ATV 4, but I haven't updated it yet. She can AirPlay the converted file.

I checked the video format by importing my original video and importing the same video I sent to her phone.

HEVC is half the size for the same quality! :)

Edit: updated with all info.

Hi François,

can you tell me HOW you imported the original video form your phone to your mac?

thanks for any help

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
Using the photo apps (not using iCloud, phone connected directly to Mac) and having the option set up on the iPhone so that the file was not converted but imported as is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.