Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Well, who expects Atmos sound from punny little TV speakers. But LG is being arrogant and refuses to even allow passthrough of Atmos audio to our Atmos enabled Denon/Onkyo receivers through HDMI-ARC (Audio Return Channel).

Don't think this is LG's fault as ARC can only pass back PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS. The HD and extended audio will only be supported in eARC which won't debut until HDMI 2.1 arrives in TVs next year.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Don't think this is LG's fault as ARC can only pass back PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS. The HD and extended audio will only be supported in eARC which won't debut until HDMI 2.1 arrives in TVs next year.
Then how come OLED7 (2017) models support Atmos passthrough?

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Then how come OLED7 (2017) models support Atmos passthrough?

I've done some more digging and it looks like the OLED 7 series can pass Dobly Digital Plus over ARC. Dolby Digital Plus can carry a lossy Atmos stream embedded in it (in the same way Dolby TruHD can carry a lossless Atmos stream in it). In other words, you will get an object-based audio stream through ARC from this TV range but it will be lossy. You will also need an AVR or Soundbar that can handle DD+ over ARC.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...olby-digital-plus-dd-atmos-over-hdmi-arc.html

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Mine is set to "Most Compatible" by default, too.

What if I have Sierra (not High Sierra) on my Mac, but iOS 11 on my phone, and both use iCloud Photos? Will new videos be unviewable on my Mac? Or will iCloud Photos convert in the cloud?

Filos

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2017
I tried to download the pictures in my mac through photos but it said that it can't because the format is incompatible, so the key is to have high sierra.

kano84

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
i ve taken photos and video with iphone 7 plus, latest ios 11 beta. However, even in "high eficiency" or "most compatible", videos are still h264 (no hevc in codec) and photos jpeg no matter what. Anyone has the same issue? perhaps we must wait for fintal ios 11 release?

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
i ve taken photos and video with iphone 7 plus, latest ios 11 beta. However, even in "high eficiency" or "most compatible", videos are still h264 (no hevc in codec) and photos jpeg no matter what. Anyone has the same issue? perhaps we must wait for fintal ios 11 release?
Everything works fine here.

Robdmb

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
If I have a 2011 iMac and plan to upgrade to High Sierra should I have Photos setting to be “Automatic” or “Keep Original” when Transfer to PC or Mac for photos and videos in HEVC/HEIF. I plan to use those formats on my phone and use the Photos app to sync all of my photos. If you have it to be “automatic” what format will the photos be saved in iCloud Library?

ohsnap

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Every time I try to email a MOV file presumably encoded with HEVC, I get a box that say "processing" before exporting it to Google Drive, Dropbox, Photos, or email. Anyone know how to export it as-is?

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Does iOS 11 convert all of your existing photos when you upgrade or just the new photos you take after upgrade?

djcristi

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
Bucharest , Romania
looked at the HEVC videos taken with my i7p , 4k30 is 21 mbps now (was 47 mbps on AVC) and 1080p30 is 8 mbps now (was 16 mbps on AVC) , also photos are 45% smaller in size using the new HEIF vs the old JPEG
[doublepost=1506076021][/doublepost]
Does iOS 11 convert all of your existing photos when you upgrade or just the new photos you take after upgrade?

just the new ones (after ios 11 upgrade) when the HEVC setting is default.

ohsnap

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Has anyone been successful with uploading an HEVC video onto an iOS device? I'm running Sierra (not HS), trying to sync an HEVC video will not work at all. iTunes will accept the video and add it to the library, you can also edit the metadata however you like. But as for transferring it to an iOS device, no go. I get a dialogue box saying that the iOS device cannot read that file.

Donga120

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
UK
Having some issues. I have an 8 Plus and I have tried 4K @ 60 and 1080 @ 60 in the High Efficiency format (HEVC). However when I import these to my MacBook which is running High Sierra, they are coming up as H.264?

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
If someone missed it, here is a little HEVC/HEIC summary:

HEIC to JPEG converter (batch as well) - http://heictojpg.com - from creators of JPEGmini for macOS.

HEIC to JPEG/PNG converter (without JPEGmini technology) - https://imazing.com/heic - Windows & macOS app.

JPEG/PNG to HEIC - Half 1/2 - app for converting JPGs, PNGs to HEIC with preserving metadata for iOS and macOS (iOS app seems to preserver data better). App for macOS can do videos, app for iOS only photos (Live Photos, burst photos, batch converting, coming soon).

john.spirou

Suspended
Oct 7, 2014
athens
I have pc with windows 10...how can i import hevc videos from my iPhone 8?
When I connect my Phone to pc, there is not in to import!

poi ran

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Scandinavia
do you really believe iCloud saves the data only in one location?
all cloud services have multiple backups of the entire storage. It's safer there than anywhere on your private hard drives

A late reply, but iCloud can't protect against user errors and/or software bugs that (for whatever reason) delete files. I've had relatives delete content from (they believe) their computers because "it's backed up in the cloud" or "I have it on my other device" only to find out the deletions are synced and after <some time> can't be undone.
Yes, user errors, but I recommend my relatives to put their photos on write-once media (such as DVD, Blu-ray, or proper one way backup service)...and use Time Machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.