Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
yes, I can't figure out how to add multiple podcasts to play in a row. It seems like they keep replacing each other.

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
Mine plays podcasts in the wrong order, playing episode 4 then 3 then 2, etc. It's annoying because I don't think a playlist should ever descend.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Play Next/Later options for a podcast (via circle with three dots or 3d touch on podcast episode). Then swipe up currently playing podcast to edit play order of the Up Next list.
[doublepost=1507044092][/doublepost]
Mine plays podcasts in the wrong order, playing episode 4 then 3 then 2, etc. It's annoying because I don't think a playlist should ever descend.

Did you check the setting for the individual podcast and it is not set to "Most recent first"?

Personally, Listen Now list, I have no idea its purpose, how it works. Always get weird behaviour when using that one. I just build my own playlist with Up Next/Later to make sure I get what I want and how I want it.

Last edited:
Reactions: potentmf

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
I find it annoying that you can no longer drag podcasts into manageable sections such as Tech, Comedy, Photography, etc. etc.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I find it annoying that you can no longer drag podcasts into manageable sections such as Tech, Comedy, Photography, etc. etc.

literally drag, or just place podcasts into sections? you can still create the sections, but you cannot physically (digitally?) drag the podcasts into them.

Reactions: Beards

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Re: dragging podcasts: is this in reference to moving around the podcast folders in the list view into an order that makes sense for user? As Ck2875 pointed out, you can still do it.

Tap Shows list, then Edit at upper right. Will see a Sort option: tap then tap Manual. At that point, works like dragging apps around without the foldering option.

Reactions: Beards

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
If you’re serious about podcasts then get yourself a proper app like Pocket Casts for example. Apple’s apps are all just too basic with lack of features.

Reactions: Jdhommert and yegon

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
literally drag, or just place podcasts into sections? you can still create the sections, but you cannot physically (digitally?) drag the podcasts into them.

Re: dragging podcasts: is this in reference to moving around the podcast folders in the list view into an order that makes sense for user? As Ck2875 pointed out, you can still do it.

Tap Shows list, then Edit at upper right. Will see a Sort option: tap then tap Manual. At that point, works like dragging apps around without the foldering option.

BRILLIANT..... Cheers Guys, massive thanks.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Forgot to add: can also make a Smart Playlist. Create, say "Tech" playlist, and just include the podcasts you deem to be "Tech". Also have the option in the playlist to show only unplayed episodes, options re: play order.

Reactions: Beards and potentmf

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
while listening to a podcast does it suddenly stop playing? That has happened to me twice. The shows are downloaded and streaming to a blue tooth speaker.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
The podcasts app is the absolute worst thing about iOS 11. Hands down the worst.
[doublepost=1507146060][/doublepost]
If you’re serious about podcasts then get yourself a proper app like Pocket Casts for example. Apple’s apps are all just too basic with lack of features.
I listen to many podcasts per day, subscribe to well over a hundred, and I tried a bunch of Pay and free podcast apps. From iOS 9 on, Apple Podcasts was the one that worked best for me. Now it’s completely screwed up.

And I’m going to have to start the vetting process all over again, which pisses me off to no end. I had a system, and it’s been blown to pieces.

Reactions: Tozovac

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
I don't understand how they could make it such a mess like this, the removal of list view is insane. The layout on Plus iPhones is terrible with giant thumbnails and text everywhere like it's just a upscale of the non-Plus layout

PurpleSookie

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2016
Australia
Does anybody know how to get rid of the Recently Played section at the bottom of the Listen Now page? It starts with a podcast from March 2016 and then a long list of podcasts I have listened to!

If I must see it surely it would be best to start with my most recently listened to?!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Does anybody know how to get rid of the Recently Played section at the bottom of the Listen Now page? It starts with a podcast from March 2016 and then a long list of podcasts I have listened to!

Listen Now is a total waste of electrons. I've learned to ignore it, not waste my time with it. Similar issue: my Listen Now list has a podcast listed from 2015. My Recently Played is relatively in order and made up of recent podcasts. Does not seem to be much rhyme of reason on how Listen Now works.

There is a playlist in the playlist list with same name. I believe I had edited the settings of that to be most recent on top. Then I deleted it (did not want that in my playlist list): the settings might have stuck in the immovable list at the bottom the of app.

Episodes, Shows, and Recently Updated are my go-to playlists/sections of Podcasts that get the workout. And Up Next is used for my playback.

Reactions: PurpleSookie

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
i found the only way i could understand it was do go though Shows. as the organization is how podcast users actually think and use podcasts.

but as a couple of earlier posters mentioned, Library/ Shows, Episodes, then Recently Played is close to what we wanted.
Listen Now is totally confusing except to listen to something, not necessarily what you want to listen to...

question: i still cant get Podcasts to update automatically as per the settings i have:
Background Refresh; Download on both Cellular and WiFi; Check Every Hour.
all approvals possible have been given to this one app but it doesn't cooperate.
how do i get it to refresh and download all the new podcasts that are available?

Reactions: PurpleSookie

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
6E2D048A-04ED-4A39-9305-0F67C5696178.png

question: i still cant get Podcasts to update automatically as per the settings i have:
Background Refresh; Download on both Cellular and WiFi; Check Every Hour.
all approvals possible have been given to this one app but it doesn't cooperate.
how do i get it to refresh and download all the new podcasts that are available?
Have you checked the default in Settings? Make sure it’s set to download.

(Mine is set to off by default, and I have manually changed the individual podcasts I want to automatically download.)

Reactions: jpn

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Here I had hoped apple fired everybody involved with iTunes 12, now I see they were put on the iOS 11 podcasts app. What an awful awful awful crApp app.

Last edited:

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
Play Next/Later options for a podcast (via circle with three dots or 3d touch on podcast episode). Then swipe up currently playing podcast to edit play order of the Up Next list.
[doublepost=1507044092][/doublepost]

Did you check the setting for the individual podcast and it is not set to "Most recent first"?

Personally, Listen Now list, I have no idea its purpose, how it works. Always get weird behaviour when using that one. I just build my own playlist with Up Next/Later to make sure I get what I want and how I want it.

Haha another evidence that people actually most of the time are complaining and whining about their own lack of knowledge on how to do things and says its a bug instead

Reactions: Donfor39

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Haha another evidence that people actually most of the time are complaining and whining about their own lack of knowledge on how to do things and says its a bug instead

So the current Podcast app’s crAppy redo and utter lack of intuitiveness couldn’t possibly be at fault, huh.

Reactions: macfacts

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
View attachment 724094

Have you checked the default in Settings? Make sure it’s set to download.

(Mine is set to off by default, and I have manually changed the individual podcasts I want to automatically download.)

By moving the download function over to Settings, are you telling me they removed the ability to pick which podcast you wish to have episodes downloaded? Are you kidding me?

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
By moving the download function over to Settings, are you telling me they removed the ability to pick which podcast you wish to have episodes downloaded? Are you kidding me?
Yes and no.

You can set the default to download or not, then set individual podcast settings to be the opposite.

So, I subscribe to probably 120+ podcasts, but I only want about 30 to automatically download all new episodes. I set the default to off, and then went in and changed the individual settings for those I wanted.

It’s not intuitive, like the old way, but it’s working.

I really miss the old Podcasts.app; there are some changes that I can’t work around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.