Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
But how do you change individual settings? Completely hidden, completely unintuitive.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
But how do you change individual settings? Completely hidden, completely unintuitive.
It is, you’re right. I came across it almost by mistake, it’s horribly unintuitive.

You go into the settings of each podcast and change it there.

Also, I think you have to go into the general podcast to access it, not a specific episode, but I could be wrong. I’m still figuring things out in this mess.

7E7F9F93-C173-4F88-A11E-51FB1F071B9B.jpeg 1BA668B1-0021-412A-83E5-992AD25B56CC.jpeg

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Thanks. I'll have to try that when I get home. When I hit the 3 dots on my iPad, I didn't think I got those options you show here. I dare not "upgrade" to ios11 on my 5s yet, for fear it'll brick it like ios7 did for my iphone 4, which Apple should never have permitted to be "upgraded" to ios7. I'm surprised there was no class action against apple for rendering my expensive iphone 4 to be useless after just 3 years of use with ios5-6.

Last edited:

TouchedByAl

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Salt Lake City
So I took some time to try and figure out the podcast app and it’s not as bad as I initially thought it was. It’s missing the voice adjustment level (whatever it’s called) that other podcast apps have and I discovered that hitting the back button on my cars stereo resets the podcast instead of going back 15 seconds. But once you fiddle with the settings I do like that there’s one unified playlist but I don’t like how you can’t seem to really move around podcasts as freely as you should. For example if I create a list of shows and I decide that I want to play the next podcast the podcast that was in my queue disappears and I have to go and re add it. Also I’m noticing that after I’ve created my list that podcasts in my list will randomly dissapear. So even once you get it working there’s some glaring issues that need to be addressed but I’m trying to give this a shot.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Also I’m noticing that after I’ve created my list that podcasts in my list will randomly dissapear.

This does happen to me as well. And was present in the pre-11 version. It seems to come on after frequent use. When I see this happen, I immediately swipe-quit it and restart: at that point should stop dropping episodes from the list.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Yes, Podcasts in iOS11 is a complete mess.

I kept randomly getting old episodes show up in my subscribed feeds. So I would go into the app and press the ellipses next to the episode and "Delete from Library". Ok great, offending episode is gone.

Later, I find out the entire podcast show is unsubscribed. I wonder what's going on so I resubscribe.

Old (different) episodes keep showing up in my feed. Yet again, delete from library and later see that show is unsubscribed.

Come to find out "Delete from Library" unsubscribes from podcasts, when there's a "Unsubscribe" option right above this!!!

And what happens if I press "Unsubscribe"? It unsubscribes but KEEPS the offending episode in my feed! WTF!!

mrthzl.jpg
e99cll.jpg

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Yes, Podcasts in iOS11 is a complete mess.

I’ve challenged people to put screenshots side-by-side of Apple apps from iOS6 with today’s version of the same Apple app (ios11-7) and point to what was broken before. Have yet to get a response and example. I’d challenge anyone to show the iOS 10 & 11 podcast apps side by side and point to what was broken before and in need of fixing that necessitated a complete overhaul.

Reactions: TouchedByAl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.