Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Which iOS was it where they kept updating the old one with security for a couple months then finally stopped? Was that 15? I forgot. And also I wonder if they will do something similar with iOS 16?

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Which iOS was it where they kept updating the old one with security for a couple months then finally stopped? Was that 15? I forgot. And also I wonder if they will do something similar with iOS 16?

They didnt stop doing security updates for IOS 15, still going at it.

Reactions: gank41

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
They didnt stop doing security updates for IOS 15, still going at it.
Yeah but they allowed the newer phones (that could update) to stay on the older version for longer than previous years.

So I’m saying I could keep my 14 pro on 16.6.2, 16.6.3 and so on while people are getting 17.0.1, 17.1 and so on if I wanted to. They gave the user 2 options of updates so you weren’t forced onto the new version right away. I really liked that.

• Love
Reactions: B/D

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Yeah but they allowed the newer phones (that could update) to stay on the older version for longer than previous years.

So I’m saying I could keep my 14 pro on 16.6.2, 16.6.3 and so on while people are getting 17.0.1, 17.1 and so on if I wanted to. They gave the user 2 options of updates so you weren’t forced onto the new version right away. I really liked that.

Completely agree.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
It was iOS 14 where they were supposed to give you the option to stay on a previous iOS version and keep receiving security updates. They only had one update (14.8.1) and then made you go to iOS 15, so it was very short lived lol

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
It was iOS 14 where they were supposed to give you the option to stay on a previous iOS version and keep receiving security updates. They only had one update (14.8.1) and then made you go to iOS 15, so it was very short lived lol
With iOS 15, they actually have gone longer, with 8 releases after iOS 16 came out, the latest one being 47 days ago….

So, not actually as short lived, as you say.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
With iOS 15, they actually have gone longer, with 8 releases after iOS 16 came out, the latest one being 47 days ago….

So, not actually as short lived, as you say.
You don't understand the context.

For iOS 14, they announced that devices that support iOS 15 could stay on 14 and receive security updates, then backed out of that decision without explanation. You are talking about devices that max out at iOS 15 and are still receiving security updates.

So, actually short lived, as I said. ;)

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
You don't understand the context.

For iOS 14, they announced that devices that support iOS 15 could stay on 14 and receive security updates, then backed out of that decision without explanation. You are talking about devices that max out at iOS 15 and are still receiving security updates.

So, actually short lived, as I said. ;)

It’s you that is missing the context. The new process isn’t short lived, it just wasn’t applied to iOS 14 as much as originally stated. The process they started with the intention of doing for iOS 14 it’s applied to iOS 15 and presumably iOS 16 and beyond.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
It’s you that is missing the context. The new process isn’t short lived, it just wasn’t applied to iOS 14 as much as originally stated. The process they started with the intention of doing for iOS 14 it’s applied to iOS 15 and presumably iOS 16 and beyond.

Context: @imagineadam was referring to iOS 14. This is the version were they supported it for a couple months after iOS 15 was released. This option allowed for devices on iOS 14, which were 15 eligible, to remain on 14 and receive security updates. They backtracked on this option.

You are referring to devices that can't be updated past iOS 15, but are still receiving security updates, even after iOS 16 was released for newer devices. Two different things completely. The process was short lived, take the L.

Last edited:
Reactions: imagineadam

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Context: @imagineadam was referring to iOS 14. This is the version were they supported it for a couple months after iOS 15 was released. This option allowed for devices on iOS 14, which were 15 eligible, to remain on 14 and receive security updates. They backtracked on this option.

You are referring to devices that can't be updated past iOS 15, but are still receiving security updates, even after iOS 16 was released for newer devices. Two different things completely. The process was short lived, take the L.
Context is when was the process introduced, and you’re wrong that the process ended as per my posts showing they continued the process the following year, and followed through more thoroughly on the process.

Its clearly the process, as your description of both are identical, save the version number.

So, they introduced it with iOS 14, but didn’t fully realise the process, then continued it into the next version, and followed through more thoroughly….

Take the L gracefully 😘

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Cool! Maybe they will keep updating 16 for awhile after 17 comes out for us old holdouts who like to wait until all the bugs are ironed out!

Edit: wait does 16.7 work for iPhone 14 pro? Or is it for devices stuck on iOS 16 only?

Reactions: Hans300

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Cool! Maybe they will keep updating 16 for awhile after 17 comes out for us old holdouts who like to wait until all the bugs are ironed out!

Edit: wait does 16.7 work for iPhone 14 pro? Or is it for devices stuck on iOS 16 only?
It’s for any device currently able to run iOS 16. So, an iPhone 14 pro can have iOS 16.7.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

CarwynT

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2019
Caernarfon, Wales
My theory is that there will be revised 16.7 from the RC version this week to fix the request from the French authorities regarding the iPhone 12 issue, cannot think of a way that they can specifically issue an update for iPhone 12 as the iPhone 12 Pro uses the same IPSW. my guess it will be factored in the region settings if you have chosen France it will reduce the radiation levels.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Given that there never was any 16.7 beta cycle it just seems to be a parallel release for some updated aspects related to security fixes 16.6.1 encompassed. There are no notes to that 16.7 RC offered.

Obviously it offers the latest Safari 17 version and maybe a newer Darwin kernel version used.

Released today
iOS 16.7 (20H19) - September 21, 2023
iPadOS 16.7 (20H19) - September 21, 2023

Last edited:

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Good! I’m glad they are doing this again! I like hanging out on the “old” super polished software for a few months after the new one comes out. I usually update around Christmas time or just after new years and by then things are pretty smoothed over and battery life and bugs are mostly gone.

Attachments

• IMG_2497.png
    IMG_2497.png
    252.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Love

Dylan33x

macrumors regular
May 21, 2021
and pulled the .1 update like a month later too lol. That was the ridiculous part. my iPad 6th was low on space at the time and I kept putting it off, so it's stuck on 14.8 till this day

Reactions: ios3

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
and pulled the .1 update like a month later too lol. That was the ridiculous part. my iPad 6th was low on space at the time and I kept putting it off, so it's stuck on 14.8 till this day
I remember it vividly because I wanted to keep my iPhone 7 on 14.8 and receive updates lol. It ran perfect on that version and I sorta regret eventually updating to 15

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I remember it vividly because I wanted to keep my iPhone 7 on 14.8 and receive updates lol. It ran perfect on that version and I sorta regret eventually updating to 15
I’m not sure what devices are you taking about, but I noticed the change from iOS 14 to 15 on my iPhone 8. Not much, because the phone still behaved pretty well, but not as snappy as in iOS 14.

However, now that I updated it to iOS 16.6.1 (clean, wired DFU install), I haven’t noticed any drop in performance relative to iOS 15.7. Actually I find it pretty snappy.

While your mileage may vary, I strongly recommend a clean install of iOS 16.6.1 while it’s still signed.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
I’m not sure what devices are you taking about, but I noticed the change from iOS 14 to 15 on my iPhone 8. Not much, because the phone still behaved pretty well, but not as snappy as in iOS 14.

However, now that I updated it to iOS 16.6.1 (clean, wired DFU install), I haven’t noticed any drop in performance relative to iOS 15.7. Actually I find it pretty snappy.

While your mileage may vary, I strongly recommend a clean install of iOS 16.6.1 while it’s still signed.
There are differences between the 7 and 8 that were substantial enough to stop supporting the 7 at iOS 15. That update made phones heat up more frequently and lose battery.

At the time, my 7 was almost a new replacement from Apple and it ran into the same issues on 15, however with almost no change in performance. Despite my troubleshooting, the battery doesn’t last long when doing moderate web browsing and listening to music.

If 16 works for you, great. Try using the phone for media, web browsing, and texting, and see if there are heating and battery issues. From many posts I’ve read, and my own personal experience, there’s always a risk installing the last supported OS. Hopefully it continues to run well on your phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.