Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgeiger97

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2019
Indiana
I'm sure Apple doesn't decide last minute, they probably meet to decide a few hours ahead to go/no go the release. I'd be shocked if they are reading the thread and using it to decide anything but I guess it can't hurt for us to step up our game in terms of engagement.

Assuming they meet again tomorrow morning to decide go/no go decision probably doesn't hurt to put our motivations and hopes/fears here ahead of time.

Also even if Apple is tracking this thread, it wouldn't be Tim directly. More likely the Vice President of Development or someone in the Marketing or Public Relations functionalities.

Oh I know lol I was just playing into the idea that they actually care what we think and that there's a button to release software whenever they want.

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
I’m still holding to the tomorrow camp. But, just to rain on everyone’s parade here, for those who cited last year’s third developer beta release on July 5th and the year before on July 6th, as evidence that we should expect DP3 today, remember this: in both of those years, WWDC and, hence, Developer Preview 1, was a week earlier than WWDC was this year. So an argument could be made that we might not see an update until next week.

Personally, I don’t think that’s going to happen, as Apple still needs to get iOS 18 onto iPhones that have to ship and be on sale well before the end of September and so still has the same endpoint as in the previous years. So I think a release this week is more likely. But it might be Wednesday or Thursday, too.
I’d say tomorrow, Apple can’t wait with us beta testers telling them the bugs to fix, especially with the new features being added each beta! 😁

FishyFish

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2015
West Coast
Oh I know lol I was just playing into the idea that they actually care what we think and that there's a button to release software whenever they want.
I think you have the right idea, it certainly doesn't help when they refresh here and see only a few dozen replies and people are like "ok well see you tomorrow". Like, really we give up that easy? smh

Especially those of us making sacrifices to try to get these betas installed as fast as possible on every device to give them the feedback they need as soon as possible. I don't get unlimited vacation days, when I find someone to cover a shift it takes real time and loss of income on my part.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
This appears to be patently false informations. You got my heart rate up but I've mashed refresh on my Ultra 2 watch and nothing has come up.
My heart rate has been steady. Slight uptick because of lunch lol

IMG_0167.png

• Haha
Reactions: JFLECHUGA

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I'm sure Apple doesn't decide last minute, they probably meet to decide a few hours ahead to go/no go the release. I'd be shocked if they are reading the thread and using it to decide anything but I guess it can't hurt for us to step up our game in terms of engagement.

Assuming they meet again tomorrow morning to decide go/no go decision probably doesn't hurt to put our motivations and hopes/fears here ahead of time.

Also even if Apple is tracking this thread, it wouldn't be Tim directly. More likely the Vice President of Development or someone in the Marketing or Public Relations functionalities.
I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic, but if not, LOL. Here we go again: Apple isn’t making decisions like when to release a beta the day of release or even the day before. I’m sure they had it on the calendar possibly as far back as February or March (if not earlier). This is like manufacturing. You plan WAAAAAY out on stuff like this…because it has implications for the manufacturing of the new iPhones - iOS 18 has to be done in time to load on the new phones at the end of August.

And no, while Apple people may read these threads, they do not base anything on what they read here. If we’re “lucky” they read these threads to see what‘s going on in the betas. But most likely they read these threads for laughs in the lunchroom.

Reactions: MrRom92

FishyFish

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2015
West Coast
LOL. Here we go again: Apple isn’t making decisions like when to release a beta the day of release or even the day before. I’m sure they had it on the calendar possibly as far back as February or March (if not earlier). This is like manufacturing. You plan WAAAAAY out on stuff like this…because it has implications for the manufacturing of the new iPhones - iOS 18 has to be done in time to load on the new phones at the end of August.

And no, while Apple people may read these threads, they do not base anything on what they read here. If we’re “lucky” they read these threads to see what‘s going on in the betas. But most likely they read these threads for laughs in the lunchroom.
In this social influencer era, we are the Apple influencers. The last thing they want is us posting negative stuff on the internet about them. I agree they aren't making the decision based on what is posted here. I'm sure they run their quality assurance (Q/A) staff through a new version and then ask them to make a determination of "IS IT READY"

But they are also human and I would be shocked if they are not taking our opinions into their account also. Like if the version is almost bug free enough and they see a lot of excitment for it and/or people who have sacraficed to get it installed, maybe that is enough to get them to push the button.

I'm sure the reason sometimes it doesn't come out exactly at the hour is they are debating internally whether to do it for 10-15 minutes and then finally decide to push the button. No reason to think we aren't part of the deciders.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
In this social influencer era, we are the Apple influencers. The last thing they want is us posting negative stuff on the internet about them. I agree they aren't making the decision based on what is posted here. I'm sure they run their quality assurance (Q/A) staff through a new version and then ask them to make a determination of "IS IT READY"

But they are also human and I would be shocked if they are not taking our opinions into their account also. Like if the version is almost bug free enough and they see a lot of excitment for it and/or people who have sacraficed to get it installed, maybe that is enough to get them to push the button.

I'm sure the reason sometimes it doesn't come out exactly at the hour is they are debating internally whether to do it for 10-15 minutes and then finally decide to push the button. No reason to think we aren't part of the deciders.
I have decided you are being sarcastic. So I will refrain from responding.

• Haha
Reactions: upandown

rgeiger97

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2019
Indiana
I think you have the right idea, it certainly doesn't help when they refresh here and see only a few dozen replies and people are like "ok well see you tomorrow". Like, really we give up that easy? smh

Especially those of us making sacrifices to try to get these betas installed as fast as possible on every device to give them the feedback they need as soon as possible. I don't get unlimited vacation days, when I find someone to cover a shift it takes real time and loss of income on my part.
Opportunity costs suck don't they?

• Haha
Reactions: JFLECHUGA

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States

....It's beta software for a phone. It's not that serious. You can wait until the end of the day you won't die.

JFLECHUGA

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)

They must take this into account we have had errors for 15 days, most of them small but they have had time to solve bugs

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
They must take this into account we have had errors for 15 days, most of them small but they have had time to solve bugs
Yeah, I'm actually the guy Apple pays to decide if the beta should be released yet. He's actually right, when we release the beta is entirely dependent on how excited people in this sole specific forum thread are.

You guys didn't post enough, so I told my team to hold it until next week. You guys better get more excited, or I might just have my team delay iOS 18 to next year instead. That's how it works, of course.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Yeah, I'm actually the guy Apple pays to decide if the beta should be released yet. He's actually right, when we release the beta is entirely dependent on how excited people in this sole specific forum thread are.

You guys didn't post enough, so I told my team to hold it until next week. You guys better get more excited, or I might just have my team delay iOS 18 to next year instead. That's how it works, of course.
TBF most of the decent stuff will be anyway.

FishyFish

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2015
West Coast

Good try but Apple literally needs iOS 18 to put on new devices in the fall so they can't hold it until next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.