Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Wednesday tomorrow? Or Wednesday next weeK?

I don’t see it being tomorrow.
Its just seems like with 2 week interval maintained on IOS 18, and 1 week (actually 8 days) later with iOS 17.6 Apple seems to have their processes running more smoothly then usual. There is a chance tomorrow different from previous years with betas not as reliable needing a week to evaluate for PB. I know most would call that a long shot. ;)
AI being delayed is not creating havoc with new features not working that would really effect a PB release. The only thing out of spin is MacOS 15 beta 3, why is that delayed versus all the other OS betas seeded yesterday?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Its just seems like with 2 week interval maintained on IOS 18, and 1 week (actually 8 days) later with iOS 17.6 Apple seems to have their processes running more smoothly then usual. There is a chance tomorrow different from previous years with betas not as reliable needing a week to evaluate for PB. I know most would call that a long shot. ;)
AI being delayed is not creating havoc with new features not working that would really effect a PB release. The only thing out of spin is MacOS 15 beta 3, why is that delayed versus all the other OS betas seeded yesterday?
I have learned not to rule anything out with Apple, especially with the past couple of years of releases. VisionPro wreaked havoc on everything last year and AI looks to be doing the same this year.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
So why not teach those eager souls waiting impatiently the art of installing with IPSW? 😉
There’s an entire guide to that on the first page of every Beta thread. Here’s the link to the first post on the iOS 18 Beta 3 thread. Scroll down to the “Spoiler” for installing it yourself. Courtesy of @Pearsey and @Banglazed

Thread 'iOS 18 Beta 3 ― Bug Fixes, Changes, and Improvements'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-18-beta-3-bug-fixes-changes-and-improvements.2430917/

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
There’s an entire guide to that on the first page of every Beta thread. Here’s the link to the first post on the iOS 18 Beta 3 thread. Scroll down to the “Spoiler” for installing it yourself. Courtesy of @Pearsey and @Banglazed

Thread 'iOS 18 Beta 3 ― Bug Fixes, Changes, and Improvements'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-18-beta-3-bug-fixes-changes-and-improvements.2430917/

I know how to do it, I was just jokingly suggesting to the poster they teach all those people “waiting” for the PB. Personally, considering the amount of DB3 glitches, I would hope that when the PB is out, it would be of a different build. Just for the sake of people wanting to put it on their main devices.

Reactions: Premium1

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I know how to do it, I was just jokingly suggesting to the poster they teach all those people “waiting” for the PB. Personally, considering the amount of DB3 glitches, I would hope that when the PB is out, it would be of a different build. Just for the sake of people wanting to put it on their main devices.
It’s possible, I suppose but unlikely that it will be a different build.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I was hoping the PB would be out by now. By next week surely?
By all conventional measures of past Apple performance, it should be out by next Monday or Tuesday. For the past several years, it has always come about a week after the third developer preview release. If it comes early next week, that will be consistent with that pattern.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I would not be terribly surprised to see that weekly pattern change though with the introduction of the first AI features. I would be equally unsurprised to see no change. The one immutable thing, though, is the need to have the public release coincide with the iPhone launch.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I would not be terribly surprised to see that weekly pattern change though with the introduction of the first AI features. I would be equally unsurprised to see no change. The one immutable thing, though, is the need to have the public release coincide with the iPhone launch.
It’s possible they may hold off until the iPhone launch and then start beta testing it in 18.2? I’m only assuming, but given the rumor mill timeframe, I’d think 18.1 would be more fixes and introducing a few more features. Then start beta testing with the real AI stuff in 18.2?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
It’s possible they may hold off until the iPhone launch and then start beta testing it in 18.2? I’m only assuming, but given the rumor mill timeframe, I’d think 18.1 would be more fixes and introducing a few more features. Then start beta testing with the real AI stuff in 18.2?
That will probably be the case for much if not all of the Apple Mail enhancements (which were always touted as “Later This Year” . But (and this is subject to very heavy qualification) all signs pointed to a fair amount of the AI stuff shipping with 18.0: including the Genmoji generation, the Image Playground and the writing improvement stuff.

So I do expect to start seeing some off those things appearing in the next few betas. If they don’t - and this is the reason for my heavy qualification of the above - then it means that these features may slip.

However, I think Apple will do whatever it possibly can to prevent that. If they slipped, it would be evidence that Apple does not have a good handle on its AI implementation and the stock will take a pretty good shellacking.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
That will probably be the case for much if not all of the Apple Mail enhancements (which were always touted as “Later This Year” . But (and this is subject to very heavy qualification) all signs pointed to a fair amount of the AI stuff shipping with 18.0: including the Genmoji generation, the Image Playground and the writing improvement stuff.

So I do expect to start seeing some off those things appearing in the next few betas. If they don’t - and this is the reason for my heavy qualification of the above - then it means that these features may slip.

However, I think Apple will do whatever it possibly can to prevent that. If they slipped, it would be evidence that Apple does not have a good handle on its AI implementation and the stock will take a pretty good shellacking.
Apple has already stated on their Apple Intelligence URL that it's coming this fall in beta format. Curiously the page is entitled "Apple Intelligence Preview". Perhaps our interpretation of Apple Intelligence Preview with specific features arriving early is all wrong, and Apple is doing this AI development all in house until 18.0 is public then release gradual increments as 18.1 thru 18.4 goes. The examples of seeing some menus show up with Xcode in this article
The latest beta of Apple's app development tool Xcode allows developers to simulate an iPhone running the third beta of iOS 18, and this has led to the discovery of some Apple Intelligence settings that are not yet available.
The reason I am speculating about it being mostly a in house parallel effort maybe with a simple set of features enabled later this summer as a preview rather then gradual additions to the present 18.0 beta cycle is that developers need to time to learn how to integrate their apps for future Siri/AI scheme.

Reactions: JFLECHUGA

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Apple has already stated on their Apple Intelligence URL that it's coming this fall in beta format. Curiously the page is entitled "Apple Intelligence Preview". Perhaps our interpretation of Apple Intelligence Preview with specific features arriving early is all wrong, and Apple is doing this AI development all in house until 18.0 is public then release gradual increments as 18.1 thru 18.4 goes. The examples of seeing some menus show up with Xcode in this article

The reason I am speculating about it being mostly a in house parallel effort maybe with a simple set of features enabled later this summer as a preview rather then gradual additions to the present 18.0 beta cycle is that developers need to time to learn how to integrate their apps for future Siri/AI scheme.

I am definitely open to that idea. But my bottom line is that some Apple Intelligence features will ship with 18.0 (even if they do so with a beta tag attached to them). That is an operational and financial imperative for Apple. How we get there is TBD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.