Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple system features such as Siri and Spotlight Search are set to receive new AI features that work across apps like Messages, Mail, and Safari, AppleInsider reports.

Apple-Silicon-AI-Optimized-Feature-Siri.jpg

Safari will apparently gain a text summarization tool called Intelligent Browsing that allows users to generate a short summary of any webpage, and Siri could gain a similar feature that works in the Messages app. Apple's AI technology can apparently analyze message content and generate responses. Spotlight search will be enhanced with more intelligent results and improved sorting, working across apps like Contacts and Calendar to generate responses.

Crucially, Apple's AI tools run-on device, with the ability to generate responses without any cloud-based processing, to maximize privacy and minimize delays. More advanced replies and summaries seem to require sever-side processing. Apple is widely expected to unveil the suite of AI features when it previews major updates to its operating systems at WWDC in June.

Article Link: iOS 18's Rumored AI Features for Siri, Spotlight, and More Revealed in New Report

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I just have simple requests like being able to share my actual focus status (opt in of course). There is a difference between "in a meeting" or "sleeping" for example. One may lead to a delayed answer and the other one to none at all. I am also dying for a "select all" or "delete all" button for Messages attachments. Main reason I have decided to go back to WhatsApp. It is just a pain in the A to remove photos from Messages.

abatabia

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2023
New Jersey
Ah, cool. Like I’ve been able to do on my pixel 8 pro. I actually find it helpful, so I am hoping for the same helpful results on my fleet of apple devices.

Reactions: Premium1

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Ah, cool. Like I’ve been able to do on my pixel 8 pro. I actually find it helpful, so I am hoping for the same helpful results on my fleet of apple devices.

Already available by 3rd parties as well. Even translates it. Yes, even on my old iPhone 12 from work but I am sure Apple will limit it to the iPhone 16 for on reason.

I am sure Apple is also going to make you pay for it via a iCloud subscription

1714740890786.png

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
I hope it does more than these. I do not use Safari and nobody in my country uses Messages. I hope these features are available in other places, such as Apple's first party apps like FCPX and other such Apps. Otherwise, it is not very exciting. :)

TheNewLou

macrumors regular
May 24, 2016
Safari will apparently gain a text summarization tool called Intelligent Browsing that allows users to generate a short summary of any webpage, and Siri could gain a similar feature that works in the Messages app.
You can't just skim it yourself? You won't make mistakes, unlike AI which hallucinates.

You know what we really need?

AI that summarizes overly long podcasts that could be summed up in a few paragraphs.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
It will sound overly dry and chatbot like in email responses I have no doubt. What I found with early and even current versions of ChatGPT is you have to edit the response to have some warmth and personality (unless you really do talk like a chatbot yourself in work emails - and some people really do), which makes it slower than just quickly tapping out an email response yourself from scratch.

Claude fairs better though tends to be more ridiculous when promoted specifically to inject a certain amount of warmth or personality - often coming across as a parody.

God knows what state Apple's effort will be, if it even will be Apple's effort. I'll likely end up turning it off. These AI are only really great at processing power. Summarisation of lots of text or drafting something massive that you can later edit. There you can save speed.

Even image generation is more impressive than what they can do with creative copy as most people don't have any graphic design skills.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How does this summarization work? Say you pull up a New York Times story. How does the AI decide what are the most important points to summarize?

Reactions: gusmula

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
So will this require an iPhone 16 pro?

Already available by 3rd parties as well. Even translates it. Yes, even on my old iPhone 12 from work but I am sure Apple will limit it to the iPhone 16 for on reason.

I am sure Apple is also going to make you pay for it via a iCloud subscription
Well, these features are rumored to be announced next month.
There will be no iPhone 16 Pro by next month.
So… no.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
How does this summarization work? Say you pull up a New York Times story. How does the AI decide what are the most important points to summarize?

If you ask a true LLM to summarise a large document repeatedly, you'll get a range of focus.

Overall they are pretty good at getting what you want or should get from a summary. I find them impressive at really obscure, messy, voluminous copy - they can quickly sift it and make sense in a way that would take an exasperated human hours.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Apple system features such as Siri and Spotlight Search are set to receive new AI features that work across apps like Messages, Mail, and Safari, AppleInsider reports.

Apple-Silicon-AI-Optimized-Feature-Siri.jpg

Safari will apparently gain a text summarization tool called Intelligent Browsing that allows users to generate a short summary of any webpage, and Siri could gain a similar feature that works in the Messages app. Apple's AI technology can apparently analyze message content and generate responses. Spotlight search will be enhanced with more intelligent results and improved sorting, working across apps like Contacts and Calendar to generate responses.

Crucially, Apple's AI tools run-on device, with the ability to generate responses without any cloud-based processing, to maximize privacy and minimize delays. More advanced replies and summaries seem to require sever-side processing. Apple is widely expected to unveil the suite of AI features when it previews major updates to its operating systems at WWDC in June.

Article Link: iOS 18's Rumored AI Features for Siri, Spotlight, and More Revealed in New Report

wow

(summarise in services menu has been a thing for at least .... 6 years? probably many more)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 9.37.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 9.37.30 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 9.42.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 9.42.27 PM.png
    234.5 KB · Views: 48
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.