Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
ChatGPT calculates the most statistically likely response to your input. It’s autocorrect

You’re making a very common mistake thinking it knows anything or could make any decisions. That’s not how it works

I don’t think it’s possible right now to make any kind of AI that would actually be good at those things

And maybe that’s OK. I don’t think the privacy and personal implications of letting an application run my life are worth the slight convenience. All software has bugs. That’s especially bad if it’s doing life things for you
I know how ChatpGTP works. And yes, you could quite easily come up with a system that feeds current personal data into the model so it knows more about you. There are plenty of tools that allow you to make custom LLM’s. It’s the biggest advantage google and apple have and why their moves are so important. It’s also why Humane AI and Rabbit rushed to market.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Fixed it for you.

What happens if you live in a country where some three letter agency demands all that data be handed over to them because you went to protest against some dictator or oligarch?

Hope you don’t think people like Altman who were groomed by Thiel are your friends.
So you don’t have a smartphone? Because that data is already in there. Right now.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
until they hit us with an early iphone 16 event
Very unlikely.

You think this will come out before iOS 18 in September? Doubt it. It already takes Apple months to release a .X release and 17.5 is probably the last release before the 18 beta to WWDC in June
Apple have pretty much already said during their earnings call that there would be AI announcements at WWDC.
iOS 18 will be announced on June 10, every feature in it announced on June 10 will be available on at least the 15 Pro.
Apple never announces features exclusive to a new phone months before that new phone comes out. They don’t even act like they have a new phone coming out until the week before the event.
So of course, all of the features announced at WWDC will be available on current phones.
Might there be some iPhone 16 exclusive features? Sure. But they won’t be announced until September, and certainly won’t be the majority of the new features.
Remember, the A17Pro received a pretty substantial neural engine upgrade last year, clearly in preparation for future software.

Reactions: TheNewLou

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Also how long are these text messages that people need a summary? How hard is it to just read?

I wouldn’t trust Siri’s summary anyway.
I don’t know about summarizing individual text messages, but group chats can be quite busy.
Mute it for a day, come back and there’s probably hundreds of messages sometimes.
An on device AI that can take 300 messages, give me the quick bullet points of what was talked about so I don’t have to scroll and scroll would be nice.
Especially for something like planning an event, hypothetically if there’s 15 people in a group chat, trying to plan an event, the AI can just recap any changes made to the event throughout messages you may have missed, keep your calendar updated just in case the date or time changes, etc.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
I know how ChatpGTP works. And yes, you could quite easily come up with a system that feeds current personal data into the model so it knows more about you. There are plenty of tools that allow you to make custom LLM’s. It’s the biggest advantage google and apple have and why their moves are so important. It’s also why Humane AI and Rabbit rushed to market.
You’re missing my point: How do you go from an autocorrect “knowing” personal info about you to something that can make decisions and manage your life?

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
We’ll see if it will be able to accurately summarize MacRumors forum threads. ;)
… and add sorting options:

Sort by post date
Sort by reaction score
Sort by Fan boy & girl comments
Sort by Apple hater comments
Sort by post date by Fan boy & girl comments
Sort by post date by Apple hater comments
Sort by reaction score Fan boy & girl comments
Sort by …

typographer

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2016
TBH, Apple is too late to join the AI party. Let us see how Apple AI will help us on editing the photos on Pro Max iPhone without asking "Hey Siri, generate a video from the photo I just took of my cat". Hmmm....

Tim: This is the best AI iPhone we have ever made. I really love it.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
It will be very underwhelming if Apple simply sprinkles some basic AI features around the OS. What I want is a personal assistant. A local Chat-GTP style smarts that has access to all my personal data, that knows me and my life and will be PRO-ACTIVE in making me run my life.

You should try using Siri. It can do all that and more.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
So you want the situation to be worse by having your AI phone know absolutely everything about you. You ****ing genius. I give you gold medal for that but don’t need to mention what sport you just won at.
For Gods sake. AI is not some magic supernatural thing: if the LLM stays on your phone and gets updated there, there is no additional privacy issue than what we’re already dealing with today.

Guess you rather go around insulting people on the internet, rather than do learn something.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
TBH, Apple is too late to join the AI party. Let us see how Apple AI will help us on editing the photos on Pro Max iPhone without asking "Hey Siri, generate a video from the photo I just took of my cat". Hmmm....

Tim: This is the best AI iPhone we have ever made. I really love it.
AI holds this huge promise but the revolution is only getting started. Apple (and Google) hold the key to their own devices so they definitely have some time. That’s why the humane pin and rabbit were rushed to market. Once Apple and Google release the next wave of AI features, they will be obliterated because they don’t have access to the same user data.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I don’t know about summarizing individual text messages, but group chats can be quite busy.
Mute it for a day, come back and there’s probably hundreds of messages sometimes.
An on device AI that can take 300 messages, give me the quick bullet points of what was talked about so I don’t have to scroll and scroll would be nice.
Especially for something like planning an event, hypothetically if there’s 15 people in a group chat, trying to plan an event, the AI can just recap any changes made to the event throughout messages you may have missed, keep your calendar updated just in case the date or time changes, etc.

OK that's a good point. I am lucky enough not to do much business by text message, certainly not group messages, so I didn't think about that.

And after thinking about it more, it could be a good accessibility feature for people with vision problems, dyslexia, etc. Apple will probably make a point of saying that.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Already available by 3rd parties as well. Even translates it. Yes, even on my old iPhone 12 from work but I am sure Apple will limit it to the iPhone 16 for on reason.

I am sure Apple is also going to make you pay for it via a iCloud subscription

View attachment 2374148
Just like they did with Siri when they bought it. Used to work on every device via an app and then they made it device specific.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
I was driving to a store the other day. My wife at home sent me a photo then Siri started describing what was sent to me.. 'X sent you a picture of a dog sitting on a wooden surface wearing a long leash' I suspect my phone didn't do that interpretation (And, technically got it wrong -it was an extension cord laying a few feet away behind the dog along a deck that coincidentally also met our dog's neckline in the photo), but interesting to hear a computer analyze and spit out an interpretation.

If AI on device is consistently wrong to a scale that it can't be relied on, or proves to be too much of a memory hog, I'm sure everyone will turn it off. But if it gives some time saving... meh, I'll stomach through it.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Lots of people here don't know what AI is or how to use it. AI is really really helpful if you know what you can do with it.

Number one, it makes a device "smart". A lot of things we do on computers are repetitive or require to do manual work, like sorting numbers from a spreadsheet, counting how many times a specific value or word appears in your text. Sure you can write a code or automation for tasks you do daily but it's great just to ask ChatGPT to do it for you without the need to write an automation.

Next big help is learning. It can summarize texts, it can explain complicated topics, it can talk to you in forget languages like a native speaker. You can do role pays and ask it to act as a Spanish waiter and you try to order food in Spanish. It's like learning with a buddy instead of learning out of a book. Talk about the weather in another language, or about medicine, or whatever specific topic you want to improve.

AI can help with day to day tasks like ideas for cooking. What cocktails can I make with the ingredients I have here? What can I do with kids when I travel to Milan? Ask to help you to write a happy birthday card for your friend. Ask to write a funny text to help you sell your iPhone faster on eBay.

And of course AI can help with creativity. Ask for ideas for songs texts, what notes are in the key of G, ask for inspiration for painting, ask for new ideas for your novel, how to name your shop, what to write on your website.

And what I hope is that Siri and Apple Home get some big updates. At the moment you need to write complicated automations because Siri and Home are stupid. Why can't we ask Siri to turn off the heating after 10 minutes? Why can't the HomePod tell me that it's gonna rain outside later today? Or turn down the bass after 10pm? Is the subway I take every day on time? Create new shopping lists and add items automatically without me saying this item is for the supermarket list and this item is for the drugstore list. Siri should be able to do things you want without the need for automations, shortcuts and with situational awareness.

• Disagree
Reactions: maxoakland

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Next big help is learning. It can summarize texts, it can explain complicated topics, it can talk to you in forget languages like a native speaker. You can do role pays and ask it to act as a Spanish waiter and you try to order food in Spanish. It's like learning with a buddy instead of learning out of a book. Talk about the weather in another language, or about medicine, or whatever specific topic you want to improve.

There are a lot of knee-jerk reactions and negativity towards AI though. This post in this very thread is a prime example: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rt.2425378/page-2?post=33106486#post-33106486 - the poster apparently didn't try the actual summarization abilities of AI and drew a false comparison.

What's even worse is the number of "likes" the post received - apparently reflecting a general ignorance of how powerful modern AI really is.

TheNewLou

macrumors regular
May 24, 2016
Lots of people here don't know what AI is or how to use it. AI is really really helpful if you know what you can do with it.
Ask to help you to write a happy birthday card for your friend. Ask to write a funny text to help you sell your iPhone faster on eBay.

And of course AI can help with creativity. Ask for ideas for songs texts, what notes are in the key of G, ask for inspiration for painting, ask for new ideas for your novel, how to name your shop, what to write on your website.
Where's the joy in the creativity of being a human?

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Exactly. Being creative, making things, solving problems are probably the best things about of life
Yeah, solving repetitive or time consuming problems is really the best. Instead of playing guitar let me google for ten minutes to find an answer what notes are in the key I am playing. Why just ask an Assistent and have the answer in two seconds?

I bet you said the same when people started using computers for creativity: back in my days I used to grab a pen and paper, but the kids nowadays…

AI is just a tool. Like a computer. Like an assistent. It’s made to help you save time on things you don’t like so you have more time for things you like. Easy.

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.