Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chizzer2003

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Hey. I did some mockups for a new multi-tasking system in iOS - akin to a simplified version of mission control from OSX. It is activated by either the four finger swipe up (replacing the current multitasking bar at current) or by double tapping the home button. There are multiple pages of your recently opened apps and works similarly to the current implementation, only I believe slightly more practical, efficient and aesthetically pleasing. The tiles of apps are from where you last left them, and similar to the current implementation: pause when you leave them. You obviously just tap on a tile and it expands to take the full screen.

I have no idea how good they are... or how bad they are! I think they pale in comparison to other of the site but thought i'd send my ideas across.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

PS: Sorry for the badly photoshopped hand!

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Really good concept. I think I've seen this in various flavors floating around. Hope it gets implemented!

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Sort of like this? :p

IMG

Except not nearly as ugg.

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

S8100_FFDocMngr2P.png

Except, of course, without the folder and instead of documents you would see small app thumbnails. Basically, take the current multitask menu and instead of leaving 80% of the screen greyed out, actually utilize it to show more running apps/options.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Looks good.

But for the iPhone, I simply want multi-finger swiping to switch between opened apps. :D

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Looks good.

But for the iPhone, I simply want multi-finger swiping to switch between opened apps. :D

That would be a bit difficult. Four or five finger gestures on a 3.5inch screen would be wierd. Anyway hopefully Apple gives us a 4.x inch screen next round.

chizzer2003

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
iPhone one a bit like this? Obviously a 4" screen would make this look a bit better.

1.jpg

2i.jpg

3i.jpg

4i.jpg

5i.jpg

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

Honestly it looks like something Apple would do nice concept bro.

Apple does need to do something about multi-tasking. As much as I hate to say it I feel like Android 4.0 (ICS) is quite a bit more robust and you can do things much faster not to mention more customizing options.

Right now I feel like Android is lacking tablet optimized apps and Apple is lacking in the operating system robustness. Can't wait to see what iOS 6 offers (or doesn't)!

Last edited:

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Very nice concept. By far the most thought out and conceptualized implementation of Mission Control for iPad I've seen.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Honestly it looks like something Apple would do nice concept bro.

Apple does need to do something about multi-tasking. As much as I hate to say it I feel like Android 4.0 (ICS) is quite a bit more robust and you can do things much faster not to mention more customizing options.

Right now I feel like Android is lacking tablet optimized apps and Apple is lacking in the operating system robustness. Can't wait to see what iOS 6 offers (or doesn't)!

With android is that the layout engine doesn't require you to make a separate app for larger screens and different resolutions. They run natively even on tablets regardless of resolution. Also many apps already have a tablet layout built in. You can actually force phones to run in tablet mode by lowering the lcd density setting. Apple did make a pretty bad blunder when they made the first IOS not thinking about the possibility of having to support multiple resolutions.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
Love it. You get the same functionality with more visual information. Can't think if a single downside to this!

chizzer2003

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Why? That is unnecessarily complicated and requires lots of motion.

Zephyr + current multitasking work just fine.

The slides are just demonstrating how it could track the gesture in real-time and animate depending on your finger position, similar to the five pinch to springboard: you don't have to pinch all five fingers to a full close on that gesture, just a slight movement is required. The same would apply here.

And the current implementation is a) boring b) not visually helpful c) unefficient to access media controls and d) inconsistent with OSX's implementation - which is key if they want ordinary consumers to feel at ease between the two OS's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.