Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Is there anyway to turn off the underlining in Messages?

Like if I say certain words like "tonight" it underlines it and prompts me to create an event in Calendar. Extremely annoying.

Reactions: Goingholoholo

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
US
Is there anyway to turn off the underlining in Messages?

Like if I say certain words like "tonight" it underlines it and prompts me to create an event in Calendar. Extremely annoying.

it doesnt "prompt" you it just underlines it. it will only prompt you if you click on the underlined word.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
No setting for this. It auto detects keywords like "tonight", "5pm tomorrow", "next Friday", etc. You only get the prompt if you click the underlined world.

stefanie7055

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2013
Ontario
It's so annoying. :(

How is it annoying? Do you just not like to cosmetic aspect of it?

I think this is a great feature - I like that it's a shortcut to creating a Calendar event while in the middle of a conversation. Hyperlinking dates and times in a conversation is a really helpful tool for me/my business.

I've only had iOS7 for a few hours and have already used it several times.

Reactions: deany and zone23

kryptonkid07

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Houston, TX

I think this is a great feature - I like that it's a shortcut to creating a Calendar event while in the middle of a conversation. Hyperlinking dates and times in a conversation is a really helpful tool for me/my business.

Agreed. I tend to make a lot of plans through text messages and the fact that I can now click and make an event is extremely productive to me. I tend to get distracted easily and this helps me go ahead and make the event right when it's decided.

One of my favorite features, for sure!

Reactions: deany

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL

I suppose it's because I don't use Calendar the same way.

I'm currently in college, so most of my events I have in there are exams, quizzes, due dates, etc.

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
This "feature" is incredibly annoying. I realize it is useful to some people, but I will never use it and it's irritating that we don't have an option to disable it. It was bad enough when I thought it was just in Messages, but I just found out that it's doing it in Email and Notes, too. Hopefully there will be a jailbreak tweak to disable it once the jailbreak is available.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
As one who uses the feature I like it very much to generate a calendar reminder or to set up a small ad hoc meeting. The calendar event contains a link back to the email document that triggered it for fast review/discuss. I don't use it daily but probably a couple times a week.

I don't see how it's annoying but do wish there was a way to turn it off for those who don't use this functionality and are annoyed at the auto-generation of hyperlinks.

xoAnna

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Planet Earth…
It would be nice if it gave you the option to have them underlined or not. It doesn't annoy me but fwiw I def can see how some might find it quite irritating.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Its a brilliant feature and really clever with all the combinations it can understand.

you get a text from someone wanting to meet and you can just press the day and time and it takes you straight to calendar to create the appointment.

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Quite the opposite, I think it's fantastic. As someone who receives freelance bookings occasionally through text, this is a great feature.
Regardless if we are going to use it or not, there are 99 ridiculous suggestions for each good one. I'm tired of trying to ignore them. For example:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,689

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I have never used it but I just don't understand how it can be disruptive? Just don't tap it. It's never caused me any problems.

Hou77

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
It is annoying, because it isn't just the 'event words' that get flagged....the address numbers on an address text also gets underlined (even if it's 4 numbers long). And that causes you to not be able to copy/paste it to Map. Instead, when you try to copy ... it now thinks you want to call that number. It happened to me several times now... everytime someone text me an address, I can't just copy/paste it to Map ...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is annoying, because it isn't just the 'event words' that get flagged....the address numbers on an address text also gets underlined (even if it's 4 numbers long). And that causes you to not be able to copy/paste it to Map. Instead, when you try to copy ... it now thinks you want to call that number. It happened to me several times now... everytime someone text me an address, I can't just copy/paste it to Map ...
Generally the whole address gets underlined not just the numbers. Usually long tapping on it will give you the option to call or open in calendar or maps, depending on the content, but also to simply just copy too usually. But even if just the numbers you can still copy the whole message and then get the actual address part of it all out if you need that.

Hou77

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Generally the whole address gets underlined not just the numbers. Usually long tapping on it will give you the option to call or open in calendar or maps, depending on the content, but also to simply just copy too usually. But even if just the numbers you can still copy the whole message and then get the actual address part of it all out if you need that.

For example, I get a text: 4930 Dacoma Suite F, 77092

The '77092' will get underlined and when I tap/hold there isn't an open Map option. There is a copy option, but it'll only copy '77092'.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
For example, I get a text: 4930 Dacoma Suite F, 77092

The '77092' will get underlined and when I tap/hold there isn't an open Map option. There is a copy option, but it'll only copy '77092'.
What about copying the whole message text (if you tap and hold somewhere else in the message other than the underlined numbers)? Also, why wouldn't it underline the whole address and not just the ending, the first numbers and the street name that follow it would seem like it would recognize as the address as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.