Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hou77

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
What about copying the whole message text (if you tap and hold somewhere else in the message other than the underlined numbers)? Also, why wouldn't it underline the whole address and not just the ending, the first numbers and the street name that follow it would seem like it would recognize as the address as well?

I figured it out! If you tap/hold, you'll get the option to copy only the '77092'. However, if you double tap (quickly), you'll get the option to copy the whole text msge. Problem solved! Thanks for the reply CDM!

cyberfed

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
Why is everyone ignoring the original purpose of this post?
It wasn't 'Chime in with your opinions as to why its good or bad'

Simple question is can it be turned off?
Seems like the answer is no.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Why is everyone ignoring the original purpose of this post?
It wasn't 'Chime in with your opinions as to why its good or bad'

Simple question is can it be turned off?
Seems like the answer is no.

The question was answered several times on the first page. This is normal for a discussion, the question is answered and opinions are given. It's not like no one answered and completely changed the topic. And answer was given as were opinions on the subject.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
It would be nice if it gave you the option to have them underlined or not. It doesn't annoy me but fwiw I def can see how some might find it quite irritating.

It probably won't ever happen. Apple think those links are good for you, and they're probably right for most users who appreciate the feature.

Reactions: deany

str82thepoint

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2014
I believe the question was asking if there was a setting to disable this feature, NOT WHETHER OR NOT YOU ****ING LIKE IT AND/OR WHAT YOU USE IT FOR! Obviously, because nobody cares. There's no setting for it, so leave it at that.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
No setting for this. It auto detects keywords like "tonight", "5pm tomorrow", "next Friday", etc. You only get the prompt if you click the underlined world.

Something similar also annoys me in the calendar app.

Example: Sometimes I want the time of an event to be in the title. So I enter "Dinner at 5" The App then takes the 5 as the start time and the event title becomes "Dinner." Sometimes it's convenient to look at a list of events and have the time right next to each event without actually separately entering the dates and times. This is meant to be convenient, but it is not always that convenient.

benfunktion

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2014
i find it VERY annoying and i shall tell you why

it basically picks and chooses what it thinks should and shouldn't be underlined which when sending internet links is VERY annoying as the links fail..

i regularly use dropbox and have to send links that are generated for sharing.. i send these links to a client via iMessage so they can download and when they click it, the iPhone only recognises the underlined bit (which is usually missing the last few characters of the URL) so therefore the link fails for them

VERY ANNOYING - it should be able to be turned off

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
Another wonderful discovery for a someone new to the iphone -- random underlining of words I don't want underlined! Lovely...

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Another wonderful discovery for a someone new to the iphone -- random underlining of words I don't want underlined! Lovely...

It's not random, it underlines useful things like dates and times so you can add them to the calendar if you so wish.

If you don't want to use it, don't click it. Simple.

Why is it that people want a setting to turn every single feature ON/OFF. If that was the case, the settings menu would be ridiculously long!

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
It's not random, it underlines useful things like dates and times so you can add them to the calendar if you so wish.

Why is it that people want a setting to turn every single feature ON/OFF. If that was the case, the settings menu would be ridiculously long!

Then perhaps a toggle that allows users to turn on/off the menu settings for such tweaks.

BurnCo

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014

I created an account to tell you that you are a doofus.

There's a ton of settings in iOS that no one ever looks at after they set their phone up for the first time or unless they want to specifically change something. No one is worried about having too many options.

I have to believe you've never downloaded an app because you're worried about how long it would take to scroll through the list to find the one you want.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I created an account to tell you that you are a doofus.

There's a ton of settings in iOS that no one ever looks at after they set their phone up for the first time or unless they want to specifically change something. No one is worried about having too many options.

I have to believe you've never downloaded an app because you're worried about how long it would take to scroll through the list to find the one you want.

No need for the personal insult!

All i meant was that people keep asking for settings for every little thing in iOS and if Apple provided them then the settings menu would be huge. Why would we need a setting to turn off the automatic underlining of certain words - just don't tap on them and don't let it bother you.

And i've downloaded plenty of apps.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No need for the personal insult!

All i meant was that people keep asking for settings for every little thing in iOS and if Apple provided them then the settings menu would be huge. Why would we need a setting to turn off the automatic underlining of certain words - just don't tap on them and don't let it bother you.

And i've downloaded plenty of apps.
What's the big deal? There are many Accessibility options but they don't clutter the Settings app as they are in their sub-section and it takes going to General and then to Accessibility to get to them. If there as a similar Advanced section in the Settings app under Messages or even more general under General (similar to Accessibility), would that really have any effect on anything? No, it really wouldn't.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013

Of course it's random. I will NEVER have the need to to make a a calendar entry for the word "tonight" in "Tonight I had a good time", therefore it's not useful 99 times out of 100, it's annoying. If they gave you the option to turn it on and off so the 90% of us who will never use it could turn it off, then it would be fine. But of course that's not available...

As for not clicking on it? That's not the problem: seeing it is the problem.

Jeez, some people have no sense...

All i meant was that people keep asking for settings for every little thing in iOS and if Apple provided them then the settings menu would be huge.

Exactly. Next thing you know, people who buy Androids because of the huge settings menu and choices like this would buy more iphones instead, and God knows Apple would not want that...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Of course it's random. I will NEVER have the need to to make a a calendar entry for the word "tonight" in "Tonight I had a good time", therefore it's not useful 99 times out of 100, it's annoying. If they gave you the option to turn it on and off so the 90% of us who will never use it could turn it off, then it would be fine. But of course that's not available...

As for not clicking on it? That's not the problem: seeing it is the problem.

Jeez, some people have no sense...

Exactly. Next thing you know, people who buy Androids because of the huge settings menu and choices like this would buy more iphones instead, and God knows Apple would not want that...
While extra settings/controls would certainly be appreciated and realistically wouldn't have a downside to them, seeing that in text messages is hardly a problem, it's a mild annoyance at best.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
seeing that in text messages is hardly a problem, it's a mild annoyance at best.

A mild annoyance to you, a really stupid and useless feature to others. Not to mention how it might perceived by others who receive our texts and wonder "why is he underling "tomorrow" and drawing attention to that word? Does that mean he's sending me some kind of subtle hint that he really doesn't want to see me today?" and so on.

I know you iphone boys have low standards in many departments as long as other things you like work fine, but many of us want a phone to be the best it can be.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A mild annoyance to you, a really stupid and useless feature to others. Not to mention how it might perceived by others who receive our texts and wonder "why is he underling "tomorrow" and drawing attention to that word? Does that mean he's sending me some kind of subtle hint that he really doesn't want to see me today?" and so on.

I know you iphone boys have low standards in many departments as long as other things you like work fine, but many of us want a phone to be the best it can be.
Why would others think that? Those without iPhones won't see it, and those with iPhones would know about it and not misinterpret anything. Like I said annoyance perhaps but not a problem certainly--mountain out of a molehill type of thing.

But I see we are quickly back to being condescending and calling people names. Essentially, once again, right away completely undermines anything of even potential value that you might say.

Last edited:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
It's my really annoying but it would be better I it looked at everything not just that word. If your telling some one what your doing if should not give the option for them to make a calendar.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
It's just an underlining....how can that be "so annoying"?

How could you find it not to be? When it comes to language, there is a system in place, a way of doing things that follow a set and predictable pattern, with rules in place, a system where things have meaning. For example, an underlined word registers as different from the other words in a sentence, and denotes emphasis. As in "I find it really annoying that iphone underlines words I don't want underlined".

If we ignore the system we all understand, chaos will reign. Next thing you know, you might find yourself underling words that make so sense to underline and using punctuation! that makes no real sense either?

Last edited:

berthaconners

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
How could you find it not to be? When it comes to language, there is a system in place, a way of doing things that follow a set and predictable pattern, with rules in place, a system where things have meaning. For example, an underlined word registers as different from the other words in a sentence, and denotes emphasis. As in "I find it really annoying that iphone underlines words I don't want underlined".

If we ignore the system we all understand, chaos will reign. Next thing you know, you might find yourself underling words that make so sense to underline and using punctuation! that makes no real sense either?

I believe your argument follows a logical fallacy of a slippery slope. Just because apple underlines words and phrases that could aid some people in planning/remembering events does not mean that it will being underlining spontaneously. Nor does it mean that it will insert random punctuations.

In regards to ignoring a system we all understand-- the tower of babel -- "chaos will reign." ?? I disagree. There are tons of languages, and we still get by as a global community. And it is not even ignoring a system. It is underlining words, like how hyperlinks are underlined in a microsoft word document. Those hyperlinks do not cause "chaos" because they turn blue and are underlined. Rather, they are clickable, and save users time. It is universally understood what hyperlinks are. Same with the underlining of dates and times. Not really that annoying.

Just because a hyperlink is underlined and blue does not cause turmoil. Same in this case. If you don't want to click it, dont.

But some people might.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
I believe your argument follows a logical fallacy of a slippery slope. Just because apple underlines words and phrases that could aid some people in planning/remembering events does not mean that it will being underlining spontaneously. Nor does it mean that it will insert random punctuations.

In regards to ignoring a system we all understand-- the tower of babel -- "chaos will reign." ?? I disagree. There are tons of languages, and we still get by as a global community. And it is not even ignoring a system.

Just because a hyperlink is underlined and blue does not cause turmoil. Same in this case. If you don't want to click it, dont.

But some people might.

It IS ignoring the system because we have no control of it. Once words and symbols take on a life beyond our intentions, civilization suffers. Random underlines today, maurading bands of hoodlums in the streets tomorrow!

Hyperlinks are annoying too, but at least they have a fixed function, and one can generally turn them off somehow if they like. But words like "today, tomorrow, Saturday" etc. can be used in different ways and contexts, rendering the supossedly helpful link to a calendar inserted into a sentence like "I'm playing Monday morning quarterback" a ridiculous and annoying visual disturbance for both sender and receiver.

berthaconners

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
It IS ignoring the system because we have no control of it. Once words and symbols take on a life beyond our intentions, civilization suffers. Random underlines today, maurading bands of hoodlums in the streets tomorrow!

Hyperlinks are annoying too, but at least they have a fixed function, and one can generally turn them off somehow if they like. But words like "today, tomorrow, Saturday" etc. can be used in different ways and contexts, rendering the supossedly helpful link to a calendar inserted into a sentence like "I'm playing Monday morning quarterback" a ridiculous and annoying visual disturbance for both sender and receiver.

..............But it is not "random" underlining. If you are this visibly upset over this, perhaps you should directly contact apple, and ask for an on/off switch. I personally never found it so upsetting, but apparently some people are very upset over this.

I still believe that your argument suffers a logical flaw, but I understand that you are being dramatic to make a point.

But I suppose I can agree that it would be nice to be able to turn such features off, if it makes you this upset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.