Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
If no devices are showing up like this, is it necessary to reset all settings? Or just turn off Handoff?

I suspect the reset all settings is working because it disables icloud by default. If you show no other devices under Bluetooth devices, turn of handoff on your iPhone and then sign out of icloud. Power off your iPhone and back on and you should be fine. You can also sign back into icloud. As long as no other Bluetooth handoff devices show up you should be fine.

----------

Thanks for sharing this. The iCloud thing did work for me, but I have two iPad's that are both logged out of iCloud and I'm reluctant to log them in and risk breaking the fix. I'll try shutting down handoff across the board and resetting my settings, and will see if I can then get my iPad's logged back into iCloud.

If you turn off handoff across all your devices, you should be able to sign back into icloud on them all. As long as none of them show up under Bluetooth services on your iPhone after doing this, everything should continue to work fine.

Pspressart

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I suspect the reset all settings is working because it disables icloud by default. If you show no other devices under Bluetooth devices, turn of handoff on your iPhone and then sign out of icloud. Power off your iPhone and back on and you should be fine. You can also sign back into icloud. As long as no other Bluetooth handoff devices show up you should be fine.

----------

If you turn off handoff across all your devices, you should be able to sign back into icloud on them all. As long as none of them show up under Bluetooth services on your iPhone after doing this, everything should continue to work fine.
I believe changing the settings for Handoff does not have any real effect. I was able to pair my iPhone 6 with my 2011 BMW without any problems, but let me give my particular environment.

1. I only use Bluetooth in the car for phone calls. I have a separate iPod that I use for music and I do not text at all in my car.
2. I do not use Bluetooth on my iPhone for any other purpose outside of the car.
3. I deleted my iPhone 5 pairing on the car before I paired my iPhone 6.
4. I gave my iPhone 6 a different name than the previous iPhone.

I can say that I have not had any problems using my iPhone 6 in my car with the above factors/restrictions. My steering wheel controls work, the other controls work and I can make and receive calls without a problem. I do have handoff turned on and had it turned on from the time I started using my iPhone 6.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I believe changing the settings for Handoff does not have any real effect. I was able to pair my iPhone 6 with my 2011 BMW without any problems, but let me give my particular environment.

1. I only use Bluetooth in the car for phone calls. I have a separate iPod that I use for music and I do not text at all in my car.
2. I do not use Bluetooth on my iPhone for any other purpose outside of the car.

I can say that I have not had any problems using my iPhone 6 in my car with the above factors/restrictions. My steering wheel controls work, the other controls work and I can make and receive calls without a problem. I do have handoff turned on and had it turned on from the time I started using my iPhone 6.

Do you have any other hand off Bluetooth devices listed under Bluetooth services when Bluetooth is enabled on your iPhone 6?

Intenost

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Boston, MA

Also a 2011 BMW. Worked great as well, for a while, then I upgraded my iPad's to iOS8, then the problems started. But it seems good for now with the iCloud fix and handoff turned off.

Pspressart

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Also a 2011 BMW. Worked great as well, for a while, then I upgraded my iPad's to iOS8, then the problems started. But it seems good for now with the iCloud fix and handoff turned off.
My iPad is running IOS 8, but I do not have Bluetooth on with the iPad. So, as far as my iPhone is concerned, the only Bluetooth it can use is the one in my. BMW.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
My iPad is running IOS 8, but I do not have Bluetooth on with the iPad. So, as far as my iPhone is concerned, the only Bluetooth it can use is the one in my. BMW.

That is the cause of the issue. Because your iPad is listed, the iPhone is trying to hand off to it which is why calls drop from your car. If you follow my steps so that the iPad doesn't show up under Bluetooth devices, your issues will go away.

lizzie58

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2010
Ios 8 and bluetooth

Ok to all having trouble with this issue. I spent 3 hours with apple support yesterday. I bought iphone 6 plus. Never had issues with any of my others. I drive a Lexus rx 350. It tried to pair and called the device hands free but although it said connected it was not ringing in or out. I also had another device listed as iphone and could not select 'forget this device' as it was greyed out.

Restore phone on iTunes and set up as new iphone. Don't choose from backup.
Sign out of iCloud and under settings- bluetooth- make sure there are no other devices. Mine then connected. I also signed out of my iCloud on my iPad and wiped my 5 s. Turn off bluetooth. Turn off phone. Redo. HANDSFREE still connected. After that I backed up from previous , still over iTunes, not wi fi, signed back into icloud etc. even though my ipad was then listed under devices it is still connected when I turn car on.

APPLE ARE AWARE OF THE ISSUE. You don't have to go to car manufacturer. Although my car Nav system probably needs an upgrade its a 2006 car.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Ok to all having trouble with this issue. I spent 3 hours with apple support yesterday. I bought iphone 6 plus. Never had issues with any of my others. I drive a Lexus rx 350. It tried to pair and called the device hands free but although it said connected it was not ringing in or out. I also had another device listed as iphone and could not select 'forget this device' as it was greyed out.

Restore phone on iTunes and set up as new iphone. Don't choose from backup.
Sign out of iCloud and under settings- bluetooth- make sure there are no other devices. Mine then connected. I also signed out of my iCloud on my iPad and wiped my 5 s. Turn off bluetooth. Turn off phone. Redo. HANDSFREE still connected. After that I backed up from previous , still over iTunes, not wi fi, signed back into icloud etc. even though my ipad was then listed under devices it is still connected when I turn car on.

APPLE ARE AWARE OF THE ISSUE. You don't have to go to car manufacturer. Although my car Nav system probably needs an upgrade its a 2006 car.

A word of warning, if the iPad is showing back up as a device again, this issue will likely return in a few days. The Handsoff devices propagate through iCloud. Do you have Handoff enabled or disabled on your iPhone?

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Okay, I believe I have finally got this resolved fully for myself, I've tried everything to replicate the issues after trying this fix and so far it is holding up for me. This fix has a caveat though, you will lose Handoff - at least until Apple can fix this.

The steps are:

1. Check on your iPhone under Bluetooth devices for any iOS devices running iOS 8 or Macs running Yosemite. These devices will be listed automatically and if you select the ! icon, the option to ' Forget this device' will be greyed out. Take a note of these devices.
  2. Unpair your Bluetooth connection from your car.
  3. Go to each of the devices in turn from the first step and turn off Handoff. iOS - Settings \ General \ Handoff & Suggested Apps \ Handoff. Mac - Settings \ General \ 'Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices".
  4. Now select 'Reset All Settings' on your iPhone under Settings \ General \ Reset.
  5. After the iPhone restarts, turn off 'Handoff' on your iPhone - Settings \ General \ Handoff & Suggested Apps \ Handoff
  6. Now, turn Bluetooth back on. The devices from step 1 should no longer be showing.
  7. Pair your iPhone with your car. All should be working fine now.
The above will continue to work provided you leave the 'Handoff' option disabled on all your devices. The 'Reset Networking' option did not work, there must be some setting stored which is only affected by the 'Reset all settings'. This means you will need to do some device configuration again after the reset such as wallpaper, sounds and other personalisations but this should not take long to put back.

Thank you so much for pointing me in right direction! I was like all the others....unable to use my iPhone 6 with my 2014 GMC Acadia Denali. The music streaming worked fine, but no sound for phone calls.

I was able to make it work without "Reset All Settings." I too had my IPad appearing under my Bluetooth Devices list, so I deleted all Bluetooth connections on my phone and car, signed out of iCloud on both devices, turned off Handoff on both devices, reset the Network Settings only on my phone, re-paired the phone to the car, and everything works now. I even signed back on to iCloud on both devices.....the iPad still shows under my phone's Bluetooth devices menu, but everything still works.

Thanks again!

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Thank you so much for pointing me in right direction! I was like all the others....unable to use my iPhone 6 with my 2014 GMC Acadia Denali. The music streaming worked fine, but no sound for phone calls.

I was able to make it work without "Reset All Settings." I too had my IPad appearing under my Bluetooth Devices list, so I deleted all Bluetooth connections on my phone and car, signed out of iCloud on both devices, turned off Handoff on both devices, reset the Network Settings only on my phone, re-paired the phone to the car, and everything works now. I even signed back on to iCloud on both devices.....the iPad still shows under my phone's Bluetooth devices menu, but everything still works.

Thanks again!

Yes, I suspect the 'reset all settings' is not required provided you sign out of iCloud and back in - resetting all settings sings you out automatically which is why I think this worked although it took the reset all settings for me to remove my other devices from other Bluetooth devices. You may want to keep that in mind in case the issue resurfaces for you. My other devices are still not showing and it's worked flawless for me since.
During my testing, I could replicate the issue by turning Handoff back on and getting devices to show back up again under Bluetooth devices.

Rocx1958

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
IOS Bluetooth Issues

I have a 2013 Rava4 that has always worked with my 5s and still does, however the iPhone 6 i just got connects for music no problem but as far as using the phone will not work. This is not an IOS 8 issue because the 5s still connects and let me call hands free. I have done the reset of the setting, the resting network settings, clearing all past Bluetooth connections etc. This is clearly an issue with the iPhone 6 and needs to be fixed, hopefully the 8.1 will be out soon cause this is a pain in the ass!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Something strange happened twice today. I got into my car, turned it on and after it paired, it automatically started dialing someone I called from the car yesterday morning. I had to it end on the steering wheel to stop it. I then stopped in to get my haircut and afterwards, getting back into the car and starting off, it tried calling that person yet again on its own.

Rocx1958

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Something strange happened twice today. I got into my car, turned it on and after it paired, it automatically started dialing someone I called from the car yesterday morning. I had to it end on the steering wheel to stop it. I then stopped in to get my haircut and afterwards, getting back into the car and starting off, it tried calling that person yet again on its own.

The same thing is happening with mine, including the previous post i had.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I've noticed something weird with mine.

If I just walk out with my phone and get in the car, my bluetooth will not work. I will have "------" instead of my operator, and no bluetooth audio.

If, however, I put my laptop to sleep before leaving, and getting in the car, it works fine. :s

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland

That happened to me a few times with my 5s. It is the issue with Handoff as the phone is trying to pick up where it left off when you connect to the car hence why the last phone call made, either dialed or received, shows up on the car system. If you check the phone there is no actual phone call.
My fix posted earlier fixes this. You will have Handoff devices listed under Bluetooth devices and these need to be removed to fix this issue for the time being.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That happened to me a few times with my 5s. It is the issue with Handoff as the phone is trying to pick up where it left off when you connect to the car hence why the last phone call made, either dialed or received, shows up on the car system. If you check the phone there is no actual phone call.
My fix posted earlier fixes this. You will have Handoff devices listed under Bluetooth devices and these need to be removed to fix this issue for the time being.

Okay, I did what your instructions said to do. We'll see how it goes the next time I get in the car.

One thing though. In step #6 you say to "Now, turn Bluetooth back on." At no time in the previous steps did you instruct to turn it off. I hope that doesn't make a difference.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Sorry, I was forgetting that resetting your settings turns Bluetooth back on anyway. You just need it on to check Bluetooth devices to ensure the other devices have been successfully removed.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Sorry, I was forgetting that resetting your settings turns Bluetooth back on anyway. You just need it on to check Bluetooth devices to ensure the other devices have been successfully removed.

So would it be detrimental to pair my MBP again to the iPhone for Continuity?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
So would it be detrimental to pair my MBP again to the iPhone for Continuity?

Yes. My phone connection with my car broke today as a result of upgrading my Macs to Yosemite last night. Had to disable Handoff on the Macs and go through the steps again on the iPhone to get it all working again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.