Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
So yeah I've always used iPhone, and I have pre ordered iPhone Xs Max 256gb - but I have been getting a lot of hate or teasing from some of my friends.

So my friends are saying I'm a sheep and I am paying for overpriced hardware.

Well, the reason I use iPhone is because, for me, it is more reliable, just works better, snappier for the apps that I own and doesn't crash as much as Android. Build quality is a factor as well, iPhones are definitely the most well built mass consumer phone. But really the first point, I want my apps to work when I need them to work, and they just work more solid on iPhone.

I have a macbook pro, but I use Windows for my Youtube and work because I use a lot of software you can't get on mac.

Some of my friends are from technical, programming type backgrounds - they tend to favour Android because there are way more technical things Android is capable of - that is true without doubt but I don't use or need these features.

Sure there are some people who want the branding and want to be seen as 'cool', I really don't care about that, in fact if Android offered a seamless smooth and reliable experience like iOS, I would consider switching.

So guys, what is the reason you are sticking with iOS and iPhone, and what do you say to the haters who tell you how bad overpriced sheep etc iPhone is?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I don’t know what to tell you except use what works for you. None of my friends care what phone people use or if they use a Mac or PC. I love my iPhone X and will be getting the Xs in December but, the galaxy S9, S9+ and note9 are beautiful well built phones too.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
For God's sake give it a rest already.

It's not me. It's the way my friends have reacted after I've told them I'm getting Xs Max.

I was sent this video this morning, I have to say I thought it was pretty funny, but this is the type of thing I've been getting for the past couple of days.

So I need some good defense lines when I get grilled again. I know it's pretty stupid, my friends are smart + immature, an interesting combination for sure.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's not me. It's the way my friends have reacted after I've told them I'm getting Xs Max.

I was sent this video this morning, I have to say I thought it was pretty funny, but this is the type of thing I've been getting for the past couple of days.

So I need some good defense lines when I get grilled again. I know it's pretty stupid, my friends are smart + immature, an interesting combination for sure.
I’m not sure there’s anything to say to smart immature people.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

Why do you care what people think of your purchase. Buy what you want and enjoy. Im an Android person and I certainly don't care what iPhone users think of my phone.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Just refer to them as blind Android sheep. And, unless they’re using Pixels or OnePlus phones, call them out on their lack of software and security updates.

Reactions: Chicagogirlie

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There's this:
If you already know the response, why say anything at all about your new phone, particularly to your "friends"?

It's a phone. You like it. It's what you prefer. It doesn't matter to you what other people think, and you're not going to convince them about changing anyway.
If they ask you about it, or make other remarks - they can "listen to the crickets." :cool:

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
No minds will be changed that's for certain so it's a waste of time. But just to get something off my chest and then I'm done. The back of the phone scanner is a huge PITA. You get used to it like someone gets used to degenerative back disease. I'm very much looking forward to face ID on Friday when I send my S8 plus back and sport the Max. I've owned both platforms.

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
I'll bite. I'm about to upgrade from a 7+ to either Xs or Xs Max. My 7+ works great, but it's a bit long in the tooth and I'm interested in the OLED screen.

My first iPhone was a 2G I jailbroke to run on T-Mobile, but the iPhone itself was already on at least the 3Gs by then. Before that, I'd had a bunch of Android phones, including a Vibrant and Nexus S.

They sucked. The Vibrant was okay in terms of hardware but software-wise it was up to date for about three minutes, after which I had to root it to install custom kernels and ROMs. The Nexus was supposed to get all the latest and greatest, but the camera was crap, and the latest and greatest Android just highlighted how most app developers optimized for the latest iOS, first, and then for Android after. Twitter, for one, had a better native iOS app and much better third party apps for iOS than Android.

When T-Mobile agreed to be bought by AT&T, I switched to AT&T preemptively and got the then-current iPhone. I want to say a 5. I'd already tried going back to Android from that jailbroken iPhone, but for me there's really no comparison in terms of ecosystem. Apple hardware is more polished and better designed. Apple software is more secure and private, and, unless you're trying to use a several-year-old phone, always able to be up to date in terms of security, privacy, and optimization.

And maybe I'm naive but I trust Apple more. Apple products are slightly more expensive, but I appreciate that products are what Apple is selling. Apple is a trillion-dollar company based on its sales of iPhones, computers, and wearables, as well as its software services in music and apps.

Google is selling you. Gmail is free because ads. Android is free to carriers because they can control it, and ads.

dinapea

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Toronto, ON
Why would you come to a "mac" rumors site and need to be convinced to be "mac"
I'll be honest to say I tried "Samsung" for about a year but always missed my mac and felt disconnected. Upgrading my daughter's phone from a "7+ to an x (I bought 2 weeks ago) and have XS max enroute for me. Loving the "X" this past week. Traveling international early October and excited to try the dual sim while in Ireland

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I now follow the example of the great David Brent and say, "why don't you f*** off?” to people who have to be snarky about my new iPhones. I catch it every year from a few people who feel the need to be rude about my choice and who want to rain on my parade: I feel that this is the response that they earned.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Ask them if they can screen record every single second that they use their phone and send you the recordings every day. While you’re at it, ask them for their Gmail and Google account password to.

Once they say no, ask them why they’re so comfortable using Google spyware products. What’s the difference between you having all of their information and actions vs. Google?

I will continue paying the Apple tax for as long as Apple (supposedly) respects my privacy.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Jesus.....are you 12 years old? Get what works for you.

So yeah I've always used iPhone, and I have pre ordered iPhone Xs Max 256gb - but I have been getting a lot of hate or teasing from some of my friends.

Well, the reason I use iPhone is because, for me, it is more reliable, just works better, snappier for the apps that I own and doesn't crash as much as Android. Build quality is a factor as well, iPhones are definitely the most well built mass consumer phone. But really the first point, I want my apps to work when I need them to work, and they just work more solid on iPhone.

I have a macbook pro, but I use Windows for my Youtube and work because I use a lot of software you can't get on mac.

Some of my friends are from technical, programming type backgrounds - they tend to favour Android because there are way more technical things Android is capable of - that is true without doubt but I don't use or need these features.

Sure there are some people who want the branding and want to be seen as 'cool', I really don't care about that, in fact if Android offered a seamless smooth and reliable experience like iOS, I would consider switching.

So guys, what is the reason you are sticking with iOS and iPhone, and what do you say to the haters who tell you how bad overpriced sheep etc iPhone is?

Reactions: glaze

ckhris1613

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009

Im an adult, who gives a crap.

Reactions: glaze

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
The industrial design of apple’s phones has gone way down hill in recent years, and they’re expensive, but Android is an utter ****ing radioactive mess.

That’s what I’d tell them.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Tell them you appreciate apps that don’t crash, getting updates on time and for years instead of being dropped after 2years Max, quality materials you can feel, etc

Just tell the. They’re cheap for having an android and you prefer quality things.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.