Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
As much as I want to believe, I can't. Here's why:

Leopard: A great OS.
Snow Leopard: A greater OS.
Lion: A bomb.
Mountain Lion: A terrible OS that's arguably worse than Leopard.

iOS 4: A great OS.
iOS 5: A greater OS.
iOS 6: A bomb.
iOS 7: .............?.
So rather than Tick Tock you are saying its Tick Tick Tick Boom? :D

While I have no major issues with any of these upgrades, I have to agree with your assessment. the competition has closed Apples lead so I fully expect iOS7 to be a major revision because Apple is just so much better than what we've been seeing for the last few years.

Last edited:

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
This thread makes no sense. Apple dropped the ball with iOS6. Just leave it like that instead of forming a conspiracy theory like the OP did for this thread.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Like it or lump it, Apple had one great idea with iOS. That's all they've got and all we're gonna get. They can't even cough up themes for christ's sake.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
This is exactly what people said when iOS 5 came out.
iOS 5 was pretty big.

iOS 7: .............?

I don't know how this happens because seriously Apple is hardly releasing anything anymore (compared to years ago, when they updated almost everything yearly with major updates), but it happened.

I'd love it if Apple moved away from the icons, but I don't have hope that iOS 7 will be any better than iOS 6.
Mountain Lion is better than Snow Leopard for me simply because it's just as quick and responsive and has more features. I'm really confused on how it could be said to be awful. The same applies to iOS 6. It has all the features of iOS 5 and more, and happens to be smoother as well. Now with iOS 6, I will say I don't think the update was ambitious enough, but it remains a great OS.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

iOS 7: .............?

I don't know how this happens because seriously Apple is hardly releasing anything anymore (compared to years ago, when they updated almost everything yearly with major updates), but it happened.

I'd love it if Apple moved away from the icons, but I don't have hope that iOS 7 will be any better than iOS 6.

wrong.jpg

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Mountain Lion is better than Snow Leopard for me simply because it's just as quick and responsive and has more features. I'm really confused on how it could be said to be awful.

In my experience, Mountain Lion (and Lion) are great if you have an SSD. If you don't, they both perform poorly compared to Snow Leopard.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
These kinds of threads remind me so much of watching "news channels": pure commentators and speculation with no concrete meat on the bones.

The poster of this thread is purely speculating and it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't see Apple making a major revision of iOS for 7 at all.

iOS is mature, it works fantastic; it's the cream of the crop.

Look at MS Windows after all these years: same thing, different dress (and yes, I consider Windows 8 to be nothing more than a different dress).

It's tried, true and there's nothing wrong with the basic infrastructure of it. Change is for change's sake, for the most part.

People who think iOS is gonna magically morph into some Android-type thing are sorely mistaken. It's not.

Even Android fanatics get bored with Android once they've changed their widget styles, added widgets to their multiple view screens, and have things like their cute little WiFi-on/off buttons restyled for the Nth time.

If you're spending too much time worrying about the OS itself, you're seriously spending way too much time belaboring your device. Use it for the apps, be productive and move on with your life!

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I believe something big is coming, and I think we'll see it in iOS7.

iOS6 was monumentally huge. You may or may not like it, but Maps was a huge undertaking going back and encompassing 2-3 years of work and investment.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
iOS 5 was pretty big.

Mountain Lion is better than Snow Leopard for me simply because it's just as quick and responsive and has more features. I'm really confused on how it could be said to be awful. The same applies to iOS 6. It has all the features of iOS 5 and more, and happens to be smoother as well. Now with iOS 6, I will say I don't think the update was ambitious enough, but it remains a great OS.

ML is better than Lion, but Snow Leopard is still king for me. As a developer, there were many minor things that ML is flopping on now.

For example, Safari reloading forum pages for no reason other than to mimic iOS. I mean, laptops don't have a lack of memory issue and this makes things slower, not better.

In terminal, I can no longer keep a ssh connection open and let a script run b/c wifi shuts down every time the screen goes to sleep.

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom

I disagree. Lion was on my first Mac I bought last year and I loved it. I happily upgraded to ML and I love it even more. More seamless experience between my devices.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
ML is better than Lion, but Snow Leopard is still king for me. As a developer, there were many minor things that ML is flopping on now.

For example, Safari reloading forum pages for no reason other than to mimic iOS. I mean, laptops don't have a lack of memory issue and this makes things slower, not better.

In terminal, I can no longer keep a ssh connection open and let a script run b/c wifi shuts down every time the screen goes to sleep.

Reloading when? I haven't noticed this behavior before. I also haven't noticed an issue with wi-fi shutting down when the screen goes to sleep, but I haven't really checked.

edit: tried it. display sleeping did not shut down wi-fi.

Last edited:

Mkostera16

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2012
Milwaukee
These kinds of threads remind me so much of watching "news channels": pure commentators and speculation with no concrete meat on the bones.

The poster of this thread is purely speculating and it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't see Apple making a major revision of iOS for 7 at all.

iOS is mature, it works fantastic; it's the cream of the crop.

Look at MS Windows after all these years: same thing, different dress (and yes, I consider Windows 8 to be nothing more than a different dress).

It's tried, true and there's nothing wrong with the basic infrastructure of it. Change is for change's sake, for the most part.

People who think iOS is gonna magically morph into some Android-type thing are sorely mistaken. It's not.

Even Android fanatics get bored with Android once they've changed their widget styles, added widgets to their multiple view screens, and have things like their cute little WiFi-on/off buttons restyled for the Nth time.

If you're spending too much time worrying about the OS itself, you're seriously spending way too much time belaboring your device. Use it for the apps, be productive and move on with your life!

^
Exactly!

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Like it or lump it, Apple had one great idea with iOS. That's all they've got and all we're gonna get. They can't even cough up themes for christ's sake.

It's not because apple cant do that it's just not what they do. If customizability is what you want then android might be better for you.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Apple used to have the best OS and hardware, but not anymore. Apple had better come up with something quick, or their reign of the mobile market will come crashing down faster than you can read this sentence. I have talked to a lot of Apple users, and few have been even slightly impressed where Apple is headed. In the last week, I had a chat with around 10 pretty die hard iPhone users, and five already decided to jump ship at the end of their contracts. That's pretty bad.... If iOS7 is a bomb, people will start leaving Apple in droves, as consumers are finally realizing there are better alternatives available.

Mountain Lion is better than Snow Leopard for me simply because it's just as quick and responsive and has more features. I'm really confused on how it could be said to be awful.

When I think of an update, I think of added features. With that being said, what happened to Rosetta? Was an alternative added??? Oh no, it was simply deleted for no reason... I would now have to pay several hundred dollars for new Intel software to replace my perfectly functioning PPC only stuff, and, another several hundred for a new flatbed scanner, as my current machine has PPC only scanning software. When I have to pay over $400 for just for an OS (Lion), that simply removes features from SL, I am mad. Then on top of that, ML also drops support for my ancient C2D mac Mini from 2008, so I would need to purchase a whole new computer, in addition to the new software, and computer accessories. If I need to replace my whole setup every four years, that is a major problem, and thus why Lion and ML are simply awful... Apple screwed me once, but never ever again...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.