Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Siri integration with wiki would be brilliant
As for group FaceTime chat....I'd like to see how you fit 5 people's face in your tiny iPhone screen.
Like so:
fring-group-video-call.jpg

well, 4 people..

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I don't think that iOS 7 has to be radical in any way. Just because those of us that spend free time conversing on a message-board think iOS 6 could have been better has no bearing on what the public at large thinks.

Some areas of opportunity for iOS 7 could be:

A nice safe way of exchanging data - We have the "Open with" but it could be better and likely more secure.

Default choices for apps - I grimace every time I click a twitter link and Tweetbot does not open and Safari does. My mobile device needs to allow me to tailor the perfect cocktail of apps that I rely on and assist me in accessing the right data with the right app.

Live icons- The Software Update mechanism seems to be preparing this feature with its moving gears. Very useful for calendar and weather but also could be used for countdown apps and more.

Less contextual switches - Continue the paradigm of "sheets" where rather than be yanked from an app I should be able to enact a task via a simple sheet. Lets minimize the dizziness caused by apps swapping positions just for basic stuff.

Location based profiles - Ability to change my landing pages based on if i'm at work or home. Do not Disturb settings configurable by location.

iCloud- Ability to push contacts/notes/documents to iCloud regardless of the source. Ability to mirror folder settings (apps in folders) via iCloud.

Delta updates- no more huge downloads.

Automatic updates - If I update an app I want that update to be pushed to other iOS devices. I also want rollback support if I push a bad update.

Store - Should be more analogous to your typical store. I want to be able to create a synced wish list and be notified if items on my wish list go on sale. I also want to be able to purchase content without a download (ideal for buying TV shows and Movies without starting an instant Gigabyte download. Last I want to be able to buy any iPhone/iPad/Mac software regardless of device. I don't want to have to wait until I get home to buy that hot iPad because I only had my iPhone with me during the day.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Delta updates- no more huge downloads.

Automatic updates - If I update an app I want that update to be pushed to other iOS devices. I also want rollback support if I push a bad update.

They need to implement these two features. One thing I like about Android is how it allows the devs to submit small updates instead of re-downloading the entire app.

Rolling back on bad updates would be awesome and something Android does already.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
They need to implement these two features. One thing I like about Android is how it allows the devs to submit small updates instead of re-downloading the entire app.

Rolling back on bad updates would be awesome and something Android does already.

The Mac App Store does delta updates on some apps. I realize Apple likes to be conservative but let's get moving here.

Also location is woefully underused. How I use my device changes wildly with context.

I don't need a filesystem (I think iCloud is going to morph into a huge filesystem) but what I need is advanced control of my environment.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
its more about a larger screen than it is about software.

My Nexus 7 with Android 4.2 has...
1. A file system, allowing users to mount the tablet as a USB device, and not be stuck with iTunes.
1.5 The ability to mount such things as multi terabyte external hard drives, given the OS has a file system.
2. Multiple user accounts, so families can use one tablet and not mix files.
3. Home screen widgets, so I can check my E-Mail and read the news for starters without ever opening an app.
4. The ability to install whatever the hack I want, and not have to follow Apples rules. I use WiFiFoFum and Adobe Flash daily, both of which are banned by Apple.
5. The ability to use peripherals, like a USB mouse or keyboard, with very little set up.
Etc Etc...
I could go on and on, and let me remind you, none of the features listed above are hardware based. All are software, and I use every one of the features and more every day. I like 10 inch tablets better, to be honest, but literally haven't used my iPad since late July when I got my Nexus... While the hardware on the Nexus is also top notch, the Android OS software is really what keeps me coming back.

jackal123uk

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
England
Every iOS update has been a step forward IMO.

The problem is their perception is degraded by unrealistic expectations. Irrespective of how many great new features/improvements are made in an iOS update the same result will be reached - thanks to beta testing/leaks, all new features will be known about in advance and discussed to death in forums such as these, while speculation runs wild about a possible "one more thing", when nothing new is announced at launch the whole OS is pronounced dead-on-arrival...

jackal123uk

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
England
1. A file system, allowing users to mount the tablet as a USB device, and not be stuck with iTunes.
1.5 The ability to mount such things as multi terabyte external hard drives, given the OS has a file system.
3. Home screen widgets, so I can check my E-Mail and read the news for starters without ever opening an app.
4. The ability to install whatever the hack I want, and not have to follow Apples rules. I use WiFiFoFum and Adobe Flash daily, both of which are banned by Apple.
5. The ability to use peripherals, like a USB mouse or keyboard, with very little set up.
Etc Etc...
I could go on and on, and let me remind you, none of the features listed above are hardware based. All are software, and I use every one of the features and more every day. I like 10 inch tablets better, to be honest, but literally haven't used my iPad since late July when I got my Nexus... While the hardware on the Nexus is also top notch, the Android OS software is really what keeps me coming back.

1. I agree, on occasion I would like a real file system. But given the limited storage available, I would tend to agree with the previous comments made about where iCloud would come in here.

1.5 I haven't seen a USB powered (portable) "multi terabyte" external drive yet (can the Nexus's USB ports even supply the required power?). The need to have an external drive plugged in negates to portability of a tablet another point for the cloud argument.

2. Agreed - I'd rather not have to scroll though pages of kids apps to get to mine, or worry about safari bookmarks, history or autocomplete etc.

3. To say the use if home screen widgets performs a given function "without ever opening an app" is naive - such functions are possible because the respective apps (or lightweight variants) are always running with a performance overhead to be taken into account. Personally, I can live without them.

4. The freedom to install whatever you want inevitably brings malware - this is a fact. I'd prefer more of a middle ground.

5. My Bluetooth keyboard works flawlessly (out of the box) with my iPad but I'm not sure why anyone would feel the need to use a mouse on a system that has been designed from the ground up to use a touch interface.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I like to geek out as much as the next guy but I'm becoming fond of the "no cables" ethos.

By early next year I'll have a Mac mini as my home server running WebDav or something else. I view remote access as most important an the idea of connecting my iPad as a USB device just feels klugey.

Android tend to have the same syndrome that PC vendors have had. Rather than point users in a new direction that ultimately is going to be superior they spend too much effort supporting legacy technology.

To each their own though. I see benefits from both points of view.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Every iOS update has been a step forward IMO.

The problem is their perception is degraded by unrealistic expectations. Irrespective of how many great new features/improvements are made in an iOS update the same result will be reached - thanks to beta testing/leaks, all new features will be known about in advance and discussed to death in forums such as these, while speculation runs wild about a possible "one more thing", when nothing new is announced at launch the whole OS is pronounced dead-on-arrival...

I'm with you on the unrealistic expectations but I can't say that applies for iOS6. It was a iOS5.5 at best, everything was under the hood, adding almost nothing for general use, and what the little they added has been nothing but an inconvenience.

Maps was a disaster, obviously people would expect CLOSE to Google Maps performance since that is what they have been using for the last couple of years. Extensions to Siri is great and all, but no one uses Siri.

Live icons is a natural and a HUGE step forward and should've been the minimum of iOS6.

They have such great hardware, but nothing to run it. It won't be long before the mainstream gets tired and looks for alternatives. Won't be too hard to find since Android has been growing at a remarkable pace.

Michalflora

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
io6

IOS 6 is just a day old, but users are griping about Apple's new homegrown apps. CNET tells you what's happening and how it affects you.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
"Extensions to Siri is great and all, but no one uses Siri."

A standard hyperbole comment, which is not be a troll, but is certainly close to it.

I use Siri every day, and so do tens of thousands of other people. Just because you don't, does not mean other people don't.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
iOS 6 was a bad update. I agree with the above comment that the hardware is way beyond the software at this point.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
I agree on Siri not working. Just an hour ago i was picking up stuff at my living room and tidying it up cause it was a mess, i said to Siri: "what's the weather like in San Francisco today?" Put it on the table, moved on with my job can't hearing anything from Siri. It replied 30-40 seconds later and it was connected to high speed Wifi. 10 minutes after that, just for the sake of trying i asked: What is Turkey's 2011 GDP? and i was in the kitchen preparing myself a cereal, that thing spinned for at least a minute than said: "Would you like me to search the web for GDP 2011?" I mean come on. Then i asked when's manchester united's next match? It showed me the match of some team called United that's supposed to be on MLS. I don't think Siri is usable at this point.

As for iOS 7, I think user accounts feature for iPad and iPad mini is a must. Also live icons would be great. More image stabilisation with 1080p video on iPhone 4S, videos look all shaky.

2009-2010 had the hype of Apple products and it was Apple mania, created by mainstream media everyone was a fanboy. It was like fashion. Today this hype is getting diminished after Steve's unfortunate passing and they did screw up some things. For me, i still love all Apple products and can't even think switching to another computer, tablet or phone. I'm very happy with my 2010 MBP and when it's time to buy a new one, i'll buy a Mac. I'm very happy with my 4S and when it's time i'll buy iPhone 6 or whatever. So what if Apple's shares go below 500$, so what if they don't eventually become the leading and best selling firm. Even if they do become the underdog i'll keep on buying the products as long as i like them. I like the ecosystem, customer support all in one experience Apple is selling.

If Apple shrinks and becomes an underdog again, that can only mean a good thing for the user because they'll have less things to deal with and more focus. Managing a supply chain that is huge, development teams that are huge is a tough job. Empires collapsed in history because they got too big and unmanageable, and apple might one day shrink because of the same reason. As long as they are alive, supplying the ecosystem and company culture products, i'm game.

Finally, i think Apple's future is bright if they don't get caught up in speculations. I mean, if they don't start following Android or anything and do what they know best, continue on their path, not become a follower worrying about media's criticism and follow Android to make shareholders happy they'll be great thinking of all the patents that didn't show up in a product yet.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
But one thing is clear: the original idea of a bunch of icons on a home screen is no longer the only way or even the main way that people are interacting with their iPhones.

That's funny, I'm pretty sure thats exactly how Android and Windows Phone is set up. The may call them "tiles" and have some live aspect to them (or have widgets throughout) but the main interaction that every major player uses is still an icon/tile/whatever you want to call it. Just because there may be some more data involved does not mean the core interaction has changed.

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
I personally think iOS 5 was the biggest, most extensive iOS update Apple has ever released. It bought SOOO many cool features that still live on today. I can't imagine my iPhone without the iOS 5 features!

iOS 6 is - like what most people are saying - a 5.1 update. Not much new introduced. A few changes here and there. Nothing that made me think "Wow, I don't know why they didn't have this before!".

I'm sure iOS 7 will pick up where iOS 6 left off and bring some amazing features to the table. I personally am interested in the idea of live icons and/or widgets.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Actually, thinking of it now, iOS 6 did introduce a huge feature we don't use or remember. Image uploading in Safari. You can now add photos to places where it says: "Choose a file" you can upload to Mac Rumors forums, any image board etc... I think that's big for the iPad, not exactly near a file system but still an improvement.

OSxiPro

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
UK
I only hope you are right when say you think most of the team were working on ios7 pre-ios6. I am not sure what will be In 7 but if the last few releases are much to go by, I can imagine these features;
-Moar Siri.
-Maps update.
-Possibly some live stock app icons.
-Some stock apps look different.
-Unkown feature that makes you think you want iPhone 5s.

osXI.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Etc Etc...

You forgot to mention the ability to transfer media without proprietary software 'solutions' like iTunes. Not only do you get the freedom to use whichever software you want or no software at all, you also get the ability to TAKE BACK WITH EASE all your music from the device itself.

The forced use of iTunes really makes iPhones, iPads and iPods a gimped product.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yes to delta upgrades for apps. I play Magic: The gathering on my ipad (a 1gb app) and its ridiculous I need to redownload the entire app everytime there is a minor update (typically the addition of newer decks and cards).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.