Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr8ful

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
I will be waiting to see what third party solutions crop up. I am hoping for a folding bluetooth keyboard with a built-in dock for the iPad, much like the iGo Stowaway keyboards for PDAs.

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
I will be waiting to see what third party solutions crop up. I am hoping for a folding bluetooth keyboard with a built-in dock for the iPad, much like the iGo Stowaway keyboards for PDAs.

Picking up on that, does anyone have experience with flexible (rollup) keyboards? Such a keyboard would be very portable, easy to roll up and toss into a bag.

But, I'm probably just going to go with the bluetooth apple keyboard since I already own one.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Unless you're a "collector" and buying for historical resale in the future, waiting for the 3rd party companies to ship their competitively priced and much more feature ladden versions is the smart way to go.

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
iPad Keyboard Dock combo vs. iPad dock & wireless keyboard

I've been debating this for a while now and I wonder if anyone else has thought about this. I'm not sure if I want the Keyboard Dock combo or the iPad dock & wireless keyboard. I know one costs less than the other, but one gives a little more freedom than the other (because the wireless keyboard isn't connected to the dock). Decisions...decisions...decisions.

:apple:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
One more vote for wireless. You can use it with the iPad in both portrait and landscape orientations. If you use the dock, you are limited to portrait.

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
Will the standard wireless keyboard from an iMac re-sync to the iPad?? Just a thought I had when reading the posts.

rtay

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
i went wireless + the dock. you can use the wirless keyboard with the case too and not have to take it out. its offers alot more flexibility, even though the keyboard dock would be really nice

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Will the standard wireless keyboard from an iMac re-sync to the iPad?? Just a thought I had when reading the posts.

I don't think there's such a thing as an iPad wireless keyboard, it's just the standard Apple wireless keyboard, the same as comes with iMacs.

And yes, you can make your iMac "forget" the wireless keyboard, then couple the keyboard with any other compatible device, so I assume the same will work with the iPad.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Unless you're a "collector" and buying for historical resale in the future, waiting for the 3rd party companies to ship their competitively priced and much more feature ladden versions is the smart way to go.
There's just one problem: I don't/can't wait :p

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
i like connected better.

cheaper, has dedicated buttons, and you dont have to remember the other piece or turn on your bluetooth.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Wireless + separate dock. Mostly because I don't' think will want my screen that close to the keyboard when typing. Not to mention I already have a wireless keyboard sitting in the box I've never used with my iMac, so it's a freebie for me.

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
I have a couple of questions:

1. If I use the BT keyboard, will it disable the onscreen keyboard?

2. Does the Keyboard Dock combo need to be plugged in to provide power to the keyboard or will it get power from the iPad (and drain the battery) if it's not plugged in?

:confused:

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Ah. Gotcha. But not everyone will need a dock. Some might be getting a case that doubles as a stand, others might have stands sitting around their house that can hold the iPad. It's not required that you buy the wireless keyboard together with the dock.

correct. but op was asking keyboard dock vs dock and keyboard.

frank.deale

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2010
This depends on whether I can use the iPad keyboard dock without having to connect to an external power source. Does anybody know?

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
I have a couple of questions:

1. If I use the BT keyboard, will it disable the onscreen keyboard?

2. Does the Keyboard Dock combo need to be plugged in to provide power to the keyboard or will it get power from the iPad (and drain the battery) if it's not plugged in?

:confused:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Right now I'm planning to use my 2007 Apple BT keyboard with the iPad positioned on the copy/book holder that I bought yesterday. This to me offers more flexibility in placing the iPad and keyboard at optimal spacing from each other and from me. The keyboard dock does look useful, too, but I will be perfectly happy with the regular dock, at least for the time being, and will be using it primarily for charging the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.