Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Android phone or an iPhone can, and all other actions can be done on a laptop, whatever the name it carries. And, you can put the phone in your back pocket. Try putting an ipad in a trouser pocket...

Have fun using a laptop with that trackpad outside. Touch screen > trackpad any day of week when used outdoors. It‘s why you see almost nobody using a laptop outside, except in Starbucks.

Laptops are only interesting if you have it on a table with an external mouse. So it‘s more like a portable desktop rather than a true mobile computer like the iPhone and the iPad in that sense.

It‘s why I rarely bring my M2 MacBook Air with me, as I‘m always trying to find a table to put the M2 MacBook Air on, while with the M1 12.9 iPad Pro, I just sit anywhere I want outside and start using it as it operated by the Touch screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: jazz1 and bondr006

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Can she run Windows somehow on the next iPad?

Currently, not in any practical way, no.

I use my iPad to access several different environments, but it requires either an Internet-accessible computer set up or a cloud instance, and a fast Internet connection at both ends.

It remains to be seen if next week’s announcement will include virtualization support, but I’d bet money against it.

She loves MS Word (with its Control key copy and past method) and also she loves Office's Outlook mail app. She also hates a mouse and loves a touch screen.

Both Outlook and Word are pretty much fine as native iPad apps, although somewhat limited compared to the desktop apps.

Normal X/C/V works with any USB or Bluetooth keyboard connected, although with a vanilla configuration it will be CMND instead of CTRL. (And the virtual touch keyboard has buttons for cut, copy and paste.)

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
You do realize that the iPad can run Windows, Mac OS and even my Xbox Series X.
installing Windows 11 on an ipad.jpeg

Reactions: Slartibart

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Well, someone tried...the screeny was from there...
And, you tell us how you installed macOS on the iPad...

Dude, I never use my PC with an external monitor, it is always “streaming“ to one of my devices as it doesn‘t work directly with my Apple Studio Display.

The only issues I have is with old software that is somehow breaking in a multiple monitor setup. But that is because it was a super old application.

So not sure what issue he has, but it is working fine here as a remote server.

Last edited:
Reactions: bondr006

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
I‘m not going to promote any remote access apps as they don‘t sponsor me, but use that instead. Then you can run MacOS on your iPad.

Same principle works for Windows and even the Xbox Series X.

Problem solved.
Meaning you don't know how...;)

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
The iPad is not limited, it is simply limited by the person that is using it. You do realize that the iPad can run Windows, Mac OS and even my Xbox Series X.
Factual this is false. You are not able to run these OSes on your iPad. You can’t install locally and use any them with an iPad as single device.

Using a somewhat broad interpretation of “run”, yes, for sure, you can remotely connect/access and do stuff in Windows & Co.. Same for software in some areas which can be run and used via a webinterface.

And for occasional things, that works quite well.

But the iPad is limited. While hardwarewise it is not, it can’t be used comfortable as a universal computing device. The iPad excels in some, or can be used on par with Wn/Mac/Linux machines in a growing list of areas - but there are limits. This thread holds sufficient examples for any this.

nota bene: “it is simply limited by the person that is using it” 🤣😂 - allow me to quote George Lucas on that one: “Meanwhile, back at reality..."

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Factual this is false. You are not able to run these OSes on your iPad. You can’t install locally and use any them with an iPad as single device.

Using a somewhat broad interpretation of “run”, yes, for sure, you can remotely connect/access and do stuff in Windows & Co.. Same for software in some areas which can be run and used via a webinterface.

But the iPad is limited. While hardwarewise it is not, it can’t be used comfortable as a universal computing device. The iPad excels in some, or can be used on par with Wn/Mac/Linux machines in a growing list of areas - but there are limits. This thread holds sufficient examples for any this.

nota bene: “it is simply limited by the person that is using it” 🤣😂 - allow me to quote George Lucas on that one: “Meanwhile, back at reality..."

The thing is, everything is limited, Mac’s are limited too, it’s just that those limits are further out and the Mac is capable of more edge case tasks. If the iPad isn’t limited for them you can’t just claim it is. It might be limited ‘for you’ but a windows computer would be limited for me.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022

You guys really like to create problems that don’t really exist. Whether it is locally or remotely doesn’t matter at all, you can use Windows, Mac OS and many others things from the iPad.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Doesn't matter what you own, but tell us how you installed macOS on the iPad...on bare metal...
Off-topic, but I am reminded of this. 😬

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada

Yeah, as cool as that is, it looks kind of like it sucks from a day to day perspective.

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023

Buy two devices, paying nearly double, ruin one device and create a franken-mac, or franken-pad, well?

Adding touch screen abilities to a MacBook, without ruining it, around 3 years ago.

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
You guys really like to create problems that don’t really exist.
Well, go write and compile a program for your iPad on your remote machine and then run and use it on your iPad. That’s jumping through quite some hoops, and probably nothing you want to do regularly.
Interested in machine learning? Exploring the world of Python comes directly to mind - well, if only you could compile various nice things locally…
Data visualisation out side the simple things e.g. Numbers, Excel or Collabora are allowing - well, you’re in for a world of limits in which some incredible nice partial solutions exist…
for further examples, please start reading for example here.
Whether it is locally or remotely doesn’t matter at all, you can use Windows, Mac OS and many others things from the iPad.
There are plenty of occasions where of course it matters whether you run something remote vs. local. I mean, interested in 3D? Blender comes to mind, right? Run it remotely… and then try using Blender shortcuts… “we guys” wait.

As you so eloquently put it: “many” things can be “used”... but there are many scenarios in which you can’t… or just partially… or due to non-hardware limitations it takes unnecessary long time … or…

Enjoy that the things you want to do work perfectly using your iPad for you. Assuming that your proposed solution is a panacea for whatever and suggesting that otherwise it’s a user problem… well, that’s seems, to quote A.Boleyn, “Just a little off the top!"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.