Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guntursujono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2016
Indonesia
I was update my iPad Mini 2 from iOS 11.2.5 to iOS 11.3 Public Beta 1. And after the update finished, my iPad Mini 2 can't connect with my wifi but my iPhone and my mac can join my wifi network. Does anyone have some problems with me?

Guntursujono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2016
Indonesia
Some other users with IPad Air experience the same issue on 13.1 and they downgraded back to 11.2.5
Hmm it seems a really crappy bugs.

**UPDATE**
my iPad Mini 2 with 11.3 Public Beta can connect with my wifi network now. But, I must to turn off my wifi password first on router settings

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Some other users with IPad Air experience the same issue on 13.1 and they downgraded back to 11.2.5

Hey there! It's me you're talking about (probably among others)... I didn't actually revert back to 11.2.5 anyway. I found a fix. And I'm actually a bit sad I did, because Apple just contacted me about getting extra information for them to fix the bug, and I can't get it to them, because my solution was not just to reset network settings, but the entire iPad, and restore it to an iCloud backup (still on 11.3).
my iPad Mini 2 with 11.3 Public Beta can connect with my wifi network now. But, I must to turn off my wifi password first on router settings

Would you be interested in helping Apple out with this bug? PM me your email address and I'll redirect Apple's engineering team to you, saying you still have the issue and you can gather the diagnostics information they want

PS. An alternative to using a not secure connection, is to plug the iPad into a Mac and enable internet sharing over USB (that's how I reset my device, since iTunes also didn't work for managing it, and resetting requires internet access to confer with my AppleID)

Guntursujono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2016
Indonesia
Hey there! It's me you're talking about (probably among others)... I didn't actually revert back to 11.2.5 anyway. I found a fix. And I'm actually a bit sad I did, because Apple just contacted me about getting extra information for them to fix the bug, and I can't get it to them, because my solution was not just to reset network settings, but the entire iPad, and restore it to an iCloud backup (still on 11.3).

Would you be interested in helping Apple out with this bug? PM me your email address and I'll redirect Apple's engineering team to you, saying you still have the issue and you can gather the diagnostics information they want

PS. An alternative to using a not secure connection, is to plug the iPad into a Mac and enable internet sharing over USB (that's how I reset my device, since iTunes also didn't work for managing it, and resetting requires internet access to confer with my AppleID)

Ok. thanks. I will PM you

Mike_p823

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2018

I didn't make a backup of my iPad and connected it via USB as you suggested. Is there something I can do to get the wi-fi working again now that I'm connected to the internet via USB? Thanks.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I didn't make a backup of my iPad and connected it via USB as you suggested. Is there something I can do to get the wi-fi working again now that I'm connected to the internet via USB? Thanks.

Aside from resetting it fully I can think of no way right now

But if you can wait, a later beta will likely solve the issue. Apple have become aware of it and should be working on a fix When that later beta comes you can install it via the USB.

kurka

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
Same issue for me. Tried network reset, but without any luck.

Edit: Just tested on my office wifi and it works here. It use a different form of access control than wpa. I have to enter username and password to log on to that wifi.

It also seems I can not log on to my iCloud account. Maybe there are some basic encryption stuff that is broken in iOS 11.3?

Last edited:

cvilledave

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Same issue here. I have an iPad Air, and after updating the software it would no longer log in to any of my wi-fi networks or iCloud account.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I was update my iPad Mini 2 from iOS 11.2.5 to iOS 11.3 Public Beta 1. And after the update finished, my iPad Mini 2 can't connect with my wifi but my iPhone and my mac can join my wifi network. Does anyone have some problems with me?

I had issues with my iPad Mini 2 with iOS 11 in that it was terribly slow.... and so I upgraded. Are you also?

Glougloumouth

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2018
EST tz
iPad mini 2 here too. Same issue.
First any WiFi with encryption password does not work (WEP, WPA2). Open WiFi works (with or without captive portal).
Second, access to all Apple Services is broken (iCloud, accepting new iCloud Terms of Service and including the Feedback Assistant --> hard to report issues to Apple here).
Third, you can't connect to iTunes, it gives an error message.
Four, resetting network preferences, or all preferences does not help.
Five, you can't post in Apple communities, post will be removed as it's beta and you're supposed to report through the Feedback Assistant :)

If you have a Mac with a beta software, or another iOS device with beta software, use the feedback assistant on the Mac / other device to report your iOS symptoms to Apple. That is likely the fastest route to get them informed & maybe help.

I have decided to keep my iPad as is (not to restore it to 11.2.x) without iCloud / Apple services for now. I am using an open WiFi with a captive portal requesting a username & password.
The other option to get connection is a wired Ethernet (Apple Lighting to USB 3 adapter - https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=91 and Apple USB Ethernet Adapter - https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MC704LL/A/apple-usb-ethernet-adapter).

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
It also seems I can not log on to my iCloud account. Maybe there are some basic encryption stuff that is broken in iOS 11.3?

I don't know - As someone else said, iTunes connections are also broken and so are other Apple services when the iPad is in this state.

After a full reset everything works though.

Glougloumouth

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2018
EST tz
I don't know - As someone else said, iTunes connections are also broken and so are other Apple services when the iPad is in this state.

Full reset as in wipe the iPad clean and restore from backup, or wipe the iPad clean and start as a new device?
Thank you for the info.

SirDonmotobike

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
I was able to by pass the wifi by going to public wifi without any password....the problem with 11.3 beta is the apple ID verification process....it failed even after reset all settings. Restore back to 11.2.5(hold home key) and plug in to your computer....advice - do not install 11.3 major bugs - verification process

Full reset as in wipe the iPad clean and restore from backup, or wipe the iPad clean and start as a new device?
Thank you for the info.

Guntursujono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2016
Indonesia
Same issue for me. Tried network reset, but without any luck.

Edit: Just tested on my office wifi and it works here. It use a different form of access control than wpa. I have to enter username and password to log on to that wifi.

Same issue here. I have an iPad Air, and after updating the software it would no longer log in to any of my wi-fi networks or iCloud account.

IMG_7101.PNG

As you can see, Apple has some problem issue with all iCloud service yesterday. And I had some problem with you two where I can't log in to any iCloud service yesterday in my iPad mini 2 with 11.3 Public Beta (Before I reset all setting and content). Try to Reset all setting and Content on your iPad with 11.3 Public Beta to fix them back to normal. Cheers!

I had issues with my iPad Mini 2 with iOS 11 in that it was terribly slow.... and so I upgraded. Are you also?

I feel more smoother on 11.3 in iPad Mini 2, and the battery performance is really cool than 11.2.5. But I think if you want to try 11.3, you can try in Public Beta 2 where the WiFi bugs has been fixed. I hope...

iPad mini 2 here too. Same issue.
First any WiFi with encryption password does not work (WEP, WPA2). Open WiFi works (with or without captive portal).
Second, access to all Apple Services is broken (iCloud, accepting new iCloud Terms of Service and including the Feedback Assistant --> hard to report issues to Apple here).
Third, you can't connect to iTunes, it gives an error message.
Four, resetting network preferences, or all preferences does not help.
Five, you can't post in Apple communities, post will be removed as it's beta and you're supposed to report through the Feedback Assistant :)

If you have a Mac with a beta software, or another iOS device with beta software, use the feedback assistant on the Mac / other device to report your iOS symptoms to Apple. That is likely the fastest route to get them informed & maybe help.

I have decided to keep my iPad as is (not to restore it to 11.2.x) without iCloud / Apple services for now. I am using an open WiFi with a captive portal requesting a username & password.
The other option to get connection is a wired Ethernet (Apple Lighting to USB 3 adapter - https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=91 and Apple USB Ethernet Adapter - https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MC704LL/A/apple-usb-ethernet-adapter).

Actually you can stay on 11.3 Public Beta, but with some WiFi bugs and iCloud Service connectivity issue for the first. You can fixed that by Reset All Setting and Content, and restore your data with iTunes/iCloud after that. If it works for me, it can works to you also

Yeah, that's true. After 11.3 Public Beta installed for the first, I had a iTunes issue where I can't connect my iPad mini 2. iTunes showed pop up message "Can't connect the iPad, The Value is Missing". And I think if I forced to restore my iPad with DFU mode in that condition, it can make some Error in the Restore Process.

After I try Reset All Setting and Content as you said before in this thread, the iTunes connectivity is back to normal until now. Thanks mate!

Thank you for the info.

You can do both, but if you want you data back. You can restore your data from iTunes or iCloud after you reset all setting and content

I was able to by pass the wifi by going to public wifi without any password....the problem with 11.3 beta is the apple ID verification process....it failed even after reset all settings. Restore back to 11.2.5(hold home key) and plug in to your computer....advice - do not install 11.3 major bugs - verification process

Yes, me too. It works When I try to connect my iPad Mini 2 with WiFi without password. You can try to use Sharing Internet by USB from your mac. Connect your mac to any wifi for the first, and then you can finished the Apple ID verification process. After it finished (Entered Home screen), you can reset all setting and content on your iPad, but it can make your iPad feels like brand new without any data hehe. So make sure you have a backup data...

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thank you for the info.

Restore with iCloud backup. - It's important to note that the iCloud backup still gives you a clean system restore, since apps are essentially redownloaded from the App Store, and all other content also just redownloaded.

Reactions: Peter K.

Zanth

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2006
I have the same issues as those posting. I was also plagued with having to enter the device password and then change and confirm the password any time I hit the home screen or when switching between apps. A truly aggravating experience. It seems that the only fix is to swap out the iOS. I'm currently following this procedure (20:29 EST) and hoping it will work. I'll report back after the process finishes:

1) Downgrade it to 11.2.5 via iTunes.
2) While holding HOME + POWER, wait for the phone to reboot and continue holding until the screen prompts to plug into iTunes. This is the restore screen.
3) Plug into computer
4) Open up iTunes and there should be a screen with "UPDATE" or "RESTORE." Choose UPDATE and confirm on the pop-up.
5) UPDATE triggers a downloading of 11.2.5 and will commence the restore/upgrade process which in this case is a downgrade from 11.3. This should retain all data on the device.

So far so good on my attempt. It's finished downloading and verifying and is now updating the OS (20:30 EST).

The install finished and is now being verified (20:35 EST)

The phone is now rebooting and I'm hoping for some magic (20:38 EST)

The phone came alive and prompted for confirmation to upgrade. This is the finalization process and is looking like it will finish in about a minute (20:39 EST)

It just finished and is asking for my Apple ID password with an update complete screen (20:42 EST)

After trying for 5 minutes to connect I hard reboot my phone (20:49 EST) and this seemed to force it to the next step. I see a screen indicating the update is finished and was successful and am now prompted to connect to WiFi and presumably start the Apple ID connect process again.

I skipped the WiFi step and was prompted with accepting the TOS, this was broken with 11.3 for me. (20:52 EST) and I was again prompted for my password and similar prompts to change it to a new one and confirm. I am really hoping this is the only time I will be prompted for this (my main issue with 11.3)

After a few more confirmations and logging into iCloud, etc. it seems like I am back in business (20:57 EST).

So that entire process took about 30 minutes and was successful. Hopefully someone might find this information useful.

Last edited:

cvilledave

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
... It seems that the only fix is to swap out the iOS ...

Thanks very much for the detailed instructions on how to restore an older version of iOS. I used your info to downgrade my iPad and get back online. Worked great. Thanks again!

Joost Peeters

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
Belgium
I have the same issues as those posting. I was also plagued with having to enter the device password and then change and confirm the password any time I hit the home screen or when switching between apps. A truly aggravating experience. It seems that the only fix is to swap out the iOS. I'm currently following this procedure (20:29 EST) and hoping it will work. I'll report back after the process finishes:

1) Downgrade it to 11.2.5 via iTunes.
2) While holding HOME + POWER, wait for the phone to reboot and continue holding until the screen prompts to plug into iTunes. This is the restore screen.
3) Plug into computer
4) Open up iTunes and there should be a screen with "UPDATE" or "RESTORE." Choose UPDATE and confirm on the pop-up.
5) UPDATE triggers a downloading of 11.2.5 and will commence the restore/upgrade process which in this case is a downgrade from 11.3. This should retain all data on the device.

So far so good on my attempt. It's finished downloading and verifying and is now updating the OS (20:30 EST).

The install finished and is now being verified (20:35 EST)

The phone is now rebooting and I'm hoping for some magic (20:38 EST)

The phone came alive and prompted for confirmation to upgrade. This is the finalization process and is looking like it will finish in about a minute (20:39 EST)

It just finished and is asking for my Apple ID password with an update complete screen (20:42 EST)

After trying for 5 minutes to connect I hard reboot my phone (20:49 EST) and this seemed to force it to the next step. I see a screen indicating the update is finished and was successful and am now prompted to connect to WiFi and presumably start the Apple ID connect process again.

I skipped the WiFi step and was prompted with accepting the TOS, this was broken with 11.3 for me. (20:52 EST) and I was again prompted for my password and similar prompts to change it to a new one and confirm. I am really hoping this is the only time I will be prompted for this (my main issue with 11.3)

After a few more confirmations and logging into iCloud, etc. it seems like I am back in business (20:57 EST).

So that entire process took about 30 minutes and was successful. Hopefully someone might find this information useful.

Thanks! That did the trick for me. I had to do step 3 before step 2 though - first connect to my computer, then hold HOME+POWER button to reboot and restore.

Reactions: relt

Mightymouse519

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2018

I am having the exact same problem. unfortunately I did not back up before joining the beta program so i am stuck with the bugs of ios 11.3. i also cannot reset my Ipad Air as there is a mysterious passcode on the restrictions that does not match what i would have entered. when i connect to my laptop i get an error there as well.

any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Mickey

**UPDATE**10:16
I was finally able to get into recovery mode and i am recovering now. I will post again with the results.

11:01-
Success! I followed the directions listed above and my ipad is now up and running again with IOS 11.2.5

Last edited:

Keni

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2018

Just updated to 11.3 public beta. Can’t join my WiFi. After key in password, it keep says wrong password

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Just updated to 11.3 public beta. Can’t join my WiFi. After key in password, it keep says wrong password

This is a known issue of the beta by now. Apple is looking into it.

The only solution we know of so far is to do a full "reset all contents and settings" whilst plugged into a Mac with USB and having that Mac share internet over USB so the reset process can verify your AppleID

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.