Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
iPad Mini 6

1609438003567.png

1. iPad Pro screen design
  2. 9 inch screen size
  3. touchID on the side button
  4. USB C
  5. 2nd gen Apple pencil compatible
  6. Magic Keyboard compatible

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
How is it supposed to fit into the magic keyboard without looking weird as the footprint won’t match the cavity?

9 inch screen and you want to hold it onto one hand like shown? Is that even possible?

Reactions: Runs For Fun

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
How is it supposed to fit into the magic keyboard without looking weird as the footprint won’t match the cavity?

9 inch screen and you want to hold it onto one hand like shown? Is that even possible?

it is

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
iPad Mini 6

View attachment 1704322
  1. iPad Pro screen design
  2. 9 inch screen size
  3. touchID on the side button
  4. USB C
  5. 2nd gen Apple pencil compatible
  6. Magic Keyboard compatible
I don't find most of those to be helpful for the form-factor.... especially for how the Mini is used in vertical markets.

Screen sizes offer more than just the ..well... size of the screen. (duh) There are opportunities and challenges that are unique to a screen's size.

Just shrinking down the larger Pro sounds like it would be a good thing, but in practical use, how would those things be beneficial to the form-factor?

I've owned different sizes of iPads, sometimes simultaneously, and I have found significant differences in how they are used specifically because of the screen size.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
All of the above + full cellular capabilities (none of this neutered ‘data only’ nonsense)! Coupled with iPadOS 15, where we could finally link the Watch to the iPad, maybe I could finally reduce the amount of devices I have.

I never use my phone; it just stays at home, plugged in, as a ‘call routing’ device. My IPP is my main device. I would love to have it take over those duties.

Id also add fID to the list. At this point, the components are cheap enough that Apple could keep the same price point. Not a deal-breaker, though.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
All of the above + full cellular capabilities (none of this neutered ‘data only’ nonsense)! Coupled with iPadOS 15, where we could finally link the Watch to the iPad, maybe I could finally reduce the amount of devices I have.

I never use my phone; it just stays at home, plugged in, as a ‘call routing’ device. My IPP is my main device. I would love to have it take over those duties.

Id also add fID to the list. At this point, the components are cheap enough that Apple could keep the same price point. Not a deal-breaker, though.

Amen to that! Same views here.

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
I will add my voice to those calling for a “mini Pro” design with full cellular capabilities.

The difficulty with that is that it would surely need to be priced higher than the iPhone 12 Pro Max, since it would have nearly all the capabilities of that phone, but an even larger screen. (Maybe it would be missing some camera lenses?)

I don’t expect they will do that, of course. The likeliest outcome is a shrunken Air 4, perhaps with a newer SoC. I’ll be okay with that.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
I will add my voice to those calling for a “mini Pro” design with full cellular capabilities.

The difficulty with that is that it would surely need to be priced higher than the iPhone 12 Pro Max, since it would have nearly all the capabilities of that phone, but an even larger screen. (Maybe it would be missing some camera lenses?)

I don’t expect they will do that, of course. The likeliest outcome is a shrunken Air 4, perhaps with a newer SoC. I’ll be okay with that.
That’s a good point! I think a Mini with tID, A14 Bionic, and an iP11 camera would keep the cellular Mini at a $499 price-point.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018

Considering that even the original iPad Air was Palpable in one hand it's probably possible. Might not be very comfortable to do though...

Reactions: ericwn

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Considering that even the original iPad Air was Palpable in one hand it's probably possible. Might not be very comfortable to do though...

Good point. I dug out my old Air and low and behold I can just get my fingers around like shown above. Of course that will feel super uncomfortable in no time at all, but yes, marketing could use the image.

Reactions: retta283

kltmom

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
Wishlist:

• form factor of iPad Pro / iPhone 12 lines with the flat sides/edges
  • Face ID (touch ID fails me constantly)
  • slim bezels like iPad Pro / iPhone 12 lines
I've had almost every iPad mini (all except the fifth generation); I love using them mainly to read books as I'm a voracious reader. I've tried traditional e-readers (Kindles) during three separate time frames and I very much prefer using my iPad minis--for me they are the perfect size and weight for reading for long periods of time.

I am so ready for an iPad mini refresh where it doesn't look exactly the same as always. Except for extremely subtle external changes which can't be easily discerned with the naked eye, every iPad mini generation has looked pretty much exactly the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.