Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHorseHead

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2021
Seriously? The iPad Mini is a great device! It’s very portable while still being very capable of more advanced tasks. It also makes a really great portable media consumption device especially for reading. The other iPads are just way too big for taking places. I absolutely love the iPad Mini.
Yes, seriously. It's more expensive and smaller than the regular iPad. I am using iPad Mini 2 myself, but if I was about to upgrade it'd be to iPad, not to iPad Mini 6

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
It isn't going to be a 'mini-Pro'....It's going to be a 'mini-Air', like it's always has been.

Always is not accurate. The mini is an older design but from generation 4 onwards included the same specs as the air of that time.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
Yes, seriously. It's more expensive and smaller than the regular iPad. I am using iPad Mini 2 myself, but if I was about to upgrade it'd be to iPad, not to iPad Mini 6
I don't understand why people buy iPhones, they are smaller and more expensive than the iPad. /s :rolleyes:

Being smaller is a positive for some people. Also, iPad mini 5 had similar specs to iPad Air 3 and was cheaper. You can't compare it with the budget option with worse specs and say it's more expensive. By that logic, the iPhone 12 mini is worse than iPhone XR because it's smaller and more expensive.

AMP12345

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
I don't really care about magic keyboard support. I think it would feel a bit cramped at this size, like the old netbook keyboards. But that's pretty much all I want to replace my ipad mini 4.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Always is not accurate. The mini is an older design but from generation 4 onwards included the same specs as the air of that time.
Yes, true. I meant in context with the iPad Pro. I should have clarified to say that the mini has never followed in the footsteps of the Pro, but rather the Air in several generations. I was responding to folks who keep consistently asking for an “iPad mini Pro”, which will probably never happen.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I can't wait for the mini 6! The iPad 11 Pro is great for what it is - but I use my iPad mostly for reading.

I picked up a 64gb mini 5 yesterday (intending on trading it in for the 6 when/if it releases this year) and ... WOW reading on it for long periods of time is far more pleasant than my Pro 11. I can even read on it laying down in bed - something I couldn't do on my 11.

I can hold this with one hand and ... read. I absolutely love the bezels - I'm not accidentally turning pages.

I wouldn't be bummed with a slightly larger screen but the weight of the mini is where it wins.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
All of the above + full cellular capabilities (none of this neutered ‘data only’ nonsense)! Coupled with iPadOS 15, where we could finally link the Watch to the iPad, maybe I could finally reduce the amount of devices I have.

I never use my phone; it just stays at home, plugged in, as a ‘call routing’ device. My IPP is my main device. I would love to have it take over those duties.

Id also add fID to the list. At this point, the components are cheap enough that Apple could keep the same price point. Not a deal-breaker, though.

Not sure but are you asking for the iPad mini, to have the option, to be essentially a phone and retain a 400 dollar price point ? “The cheaper yet our biggest iPhone to date. The iPhalet !! “ yeah don’t think that’s happening.

iHorseHead

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2021
I don't understand why people buy iPhones, they are smaller and more expensive than the iPad. /s :rolleyes:

Being smaller is a positive for some people. Also, iPad mini 5 had similar specs to iPad Air 3 and was cheaper. You can't compare it with the budget option with worse specs and say it's more expensive. By that logic, the iPhone 12 mini is worse than iPhone XR because it's smaller and more expensive.
iPhones are phones, so your sarcasm doesn't make any sense. No, it's not the same logic. iPhone XR is older for one thing.

Reactions: Never mind

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
Not sure but are you asking for the iPad mini, to have the option, to be essentially a phone and retain a 400 dollar price point ? “The cheaper yet our biggest iPhone to date. The iPhalet !! “ yeah don’t think that’s happening.
Essentially, I would like (and it sounds like others might as well) a 9" iPhone SE.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
I have a lot of women/girls around me who love the mini. It’s an iPad that fits in their bags and delivers possibility not only for reading but also for checking e-mails, web browsing and other stuffs. I think there are so many people around the world who would love these kind of device. I was also using two generations (mini 2 and mini 4) and then I moved to bigger ones. But still, it was a great device at those times for reading and carrying around - like it is 12 mini for me these days.

dylanlive

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
San Francisco, Calif.
Why do people use iPad Mini still?

As a Pilot, the Mini fits well on the yoke of a Cessna. Anything larger blocks instruments needed to fly the aircraft.

Attachments

• 8ipadlb_5.jpg
    8ipadlb_5.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 146

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have had virtually all the minis (except the first, which was underpowered and the 3rd, which was the 2nd plus touch id) and still have them. Honestly the mini 5 is so good that the only thing that would push me to buy a 6th is USB C, as half a inch more is not going to change much... But I want to go to USB C only (my phone is UBS C and all my laptops are too) so I won't buy anything lightning anymore...

Reactions: BillyiPad95

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
iPhones are phones, so your sarcasm doesn't make any sense. No, it's not the same logic. iPhone XR is older for one thing.
His point was that there is a strong use case for a smaller version of most devices as long as they don't sacrifice usability. The iPad mini and iPhone 12 mini can both be do the same as their larger counterparts without many sacrifices, enabling them to be used in the context where space is a premium. Be it small pockets, small hands, no table available, or even just holding the device for a prolonged period of time.

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
The latest iPad mini rumors are really disappointing. “Unified design language” with the upcoming entry-level iPad? No thanks. I have an old Mini 2, and it’s okay for reading, but my goodness, it is really slow now. Just opening an ePub in the Books app takes a long time.

Really hoping the rumour is wrong, and the design that Apple brings us for the Mini in March is more like the iPad Air 4, not the Air 3. I already have an iPad Pro 12.9 2020, and I would like to be able to use the same Apple Pencil 2 with both devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.