Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil1975

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2017
The iPad mini has always been perfect size for me. Struggled with standard sized iPad.
I hope we get a design refresh similar to the latest iPad air.

I’ve skipped the last 2 generations hoping for a big update. Hope apple doesn’t stick the same screen to body ratio, it’s dated look and Apple needs to move from it personally.

Currently have a iPhone 12 mini, the iPad Air mini would make them my little apple heaven perfect.

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
Here’s the latest rumour on the Mini 6, and it looks like a mixed bag. Forehead and chin appear to be gone, but they are replaced with what appears to be the old touch ID home button, completely surrounded by display; likewise, the front-facing camera is now in a punch-hole.

I don’t know how seriously to take this. On the one hand, it is rumoured to be from leaked CAD data. On the other hand, it seems very un-Apple, embracing design choices that have hitherto only been seen in the Android phablet world.

Worst of all, it doesn’t look like this design will accomodate the Pencil 2.

6F2A1FB8-9448-4D1F-8A9F-6FCAF4341E35.jpeg

Full story here (in Italian).

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Here’s the latest rumour on the Mini 6, and it looks like a mixed bag. Forehead and chin appear to be gone, but they are replaced with what appears to be the old touch ID home button, completely surrounded by display; likewise, the front-facing camera is now in a punch-hole.

I don’t know how seriously to take this. On the one hand, it is rumoured to be from leaked CAD data. On the other hand, it seems very un-Apple, embracing design choices that have hitherto only been seen in the Android phablet world.

Worst of all, it doesn’t look like this design will accomodate the Pencil 2.

View attachment 1718445

Full story here (in Italian).
No chance, especially now Apple have touch ID on power button. Who ever made these renders took a flight of fancy when they put the home button in the screen! ?

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
Prosser and a lot of others on Twitter are pouring scorn on this rumour, so we can hope it isn’t happening.

Reactions: Runs For Fun

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
Why would they have a hole in the screen to put a fingerprint scanner when countless phones do without it ?

Otherwise hope it is released soon ! The mini is the only ipad size making sense to me (weight being also a key element)

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Why would they have a hole in the screen to put a fingerprint scanner when countless phones do without it ?

Otherwise hope it is released soon ! The mini is the only ipad size making sense to me (weight being also a key element)

Yup I don’t think they’ll release such a bad design.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Wishlist:

1. Don’t make it bigger!
2. Don’t be afraid to make it smaller.
3. Faster chip and more ram.
4. Smart connector (I’m dreaming here).

The 7.9” 4:3 screen is the minimum viable screen for iPad in my opinion. If Apple did a bezel shrink around that to continue giving us the smallest possible iPad, that would be great.

More realistically I would be OK with a bigger screen in the same dimensions.

Most of the time I use my mini caseless. But once or twice a month I pop it into a Zagg keyboard case to use it as a cellular data mini laptop with all the annoyances that Bluetooth brings. A smart connector for keyboard cases would be amazing. But I doubt Apple sees the use case.

Reactions: ericwn

Ronald Watt

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
Wish list:

1080 Front Camera with light
Touch Bar (Like MacBooks) on the backside
Ditch head jack
Wireless charging
USB-C port
256GB
Price Point $399 to $499
3rd Gen Pencil
Apple Watch unlock support

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
Wish list:

1080 Front Camera with light : Don't care about that
Touch Bar (Like MacBooks) on the backside : Would be totally stupid (won't happen)
Ditch head jack : can be useful, train etc
Wireless charging : yeah ..
USB-C port : Indeed
256GB
Price Point $399 to $499
3rd Gen Pencil : at least 2nd
Apple Watch unlock support : don't care at all (apple watches are gross)

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
Wish list:

1080 Front Camera with light
Touch Bar (Like MacBooks) on the backside
Ditch head jack
Wireless charging
USB-C port
256GB
Price Point $399 to $499
3rd Gen Pencil
Apple Watch unlock support
Would love to see the iPhone MagSafe on the iPad mini, would arguably be more useful even

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I have wanted to own a mini again for years--I loved mine when I had one. If they made a new mini with the same design as the Pro/Air and Pencil compatibility, I would be seriously tempted. I would love it as a notepad/ereader for my nightstand. But going by how the mini 5 is priced, I don't think this would be a very cheap device, and that would not be worth it for something I'd probably use once a week or less.

Reactions: Phil1975

Queru

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2019
At this point I use my 2017 iPad Pro 10,5 as ebook reader and web surfing machine for couch. And for that it's a bit heavy and I woudn't mind something lighter and easier to hold. Having a light, portable, possibly 8,5 inch device with iPad Pro/Air design would be great. I just need something between my Mac mini desk setup and iPhone 12 Pro for casual web and ebooks on couch and when at some point traveling when that's an option again. And I can't think of going Pro Max now as I love 12 Pro form factor and it's one hand use comfort.

So my wishlist:
Must:
  • iPad Pro design with 8,5' screen.
Would love, but optional:
  • FaceID
  • USB-C
  • 120Hz
  • Oled screen (or microLED)
  • 6GB of RAM
Don't want:
  • Bigger size
  • Heavier
  • Some crazy cameras on the back
Just keep it small and light as it should be.

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Wishlist:

1. Don’t make it bigger!
2. Don’t be afraid to make it smaller.
3. Faster chip and more ram.
4. Smart connector (I’m dreaming here).

The 7.9” 4:3 screen is the minimum viable screen for iPad in my opinion. If Apple did a bezel shrink around that to continue giving us the smallest possible iPad, that would be great.

More realistically I would be OK with a bigger screen in the same dimensions.

Most of the time I use my mini caseless. But once or twice a month I pop it into a Zagg keyboard case to use it as a cellular data mini laptop with all the annoyances that Bluetooth brings. A smart connector for keyboard cases would be amazing. But I doubt Apple sees the use case.

Let me add one more to my list that's really out there:
5. Mount points for controllers, a la Nintendo Switch.

The mini is the perfect size for gamestreaming. Currently I use a GameVice when streaming from my Xbox, but a flex clamp mount is just not as good. Plus GameVice still hasn't made a mini controller with clickable thumbsticks, which is a real problem for many console games.

peaceridge

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
I absolutely hate faceid on my ipad pro 11" - would like a new mini to have touch id on bac.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I know I've already expressed a similar sentiment in this thread, but I want to reiterate that this is a really easy slam dunk for Apple. All they need to do is take the 4th-gen iPad Air, shrink the screen size by ~2.5", cut $100 off the price, and that's the new iPad Mini. It's a cakewalk. That would be the perfect iPad mini for 2021. They can continue selling the current iPad mini at a discounted price if they want to keep a mini iPad in the <$400 price range, but I'm sure many of the mini diehards would take the same price increase that the Air got if it meant getting a fully-featured product. Myself included.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I wonder when this will come out

my mini 5 has served me well for two years now and countinf

just updated it to iOS 14 from 13 too

I love the longevity of iPads. My 2017 12.9 is still trucking along on iOS 14.4 too despite the backlight flashlighting

peaceridge

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
I on the other hand, really, really like face ID on my iPad Pro 11. You’ll see what I did there? Some don’t like it, many others do, and I’m very glad Apple has it on the 11 and 12
The thing about face id is that I have to hold the ipad in a particular position for it to recognize my face, usually takes a couple of trys. Then I have to swipe up. Why it can't just open when face id has recognized my face? vs just touching a button and it opens immediately.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Demiles

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2013
I’ve been a iPad mini owner since the original release and currently own a 4th gen model. I love the size and will keep it for some uses though I have a iPad Air 4 on the way. If the specs are worth it for me I’ll get the 6th gen mini too.

Reactions: peaceridge

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
The thing about face id is that I have to hold the ipad in a particular position for it to recognize my face, usually takes a couple of trys. Then I have to swipe up. Why it can't just open when face id has recognized my face? vs just touching a button and it opens immediately.
You can have it in landscape or portrait mode and faceid will work just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.