Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Latest rumours are interesting, sounds like they are adopting the IMAX (1.43:1) aspect ratio of the 11" but keeping the home button design for the next mini (and possibly doing the same for the base iPad as well). I wonder if the 13" iPad Pro will also follow suit eventually? Was really just expecting a smaller iPad Air 4!

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
Was really just expecting a smaller iPad Air 4!

Me too.

I’d prefer the Mini 6 to be like a smaller Air 4 but with the current screen size and just physically smaller. While the sound for the mini is fine, my iPhone XR and the Pro defiantly sounds better..so I don’t mind if there was at least a speaker upgrade.

Man, to be honest, I want trade in my iPad 11” Pro that I picked up during the middle of last year and wait for the next mini.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Me too.

I’d prefer the Mini 6 to be like a smaller Air 4 but with the current screen size and just physically smaller. While the sound for the mini is fine, my iPhone XR and the Pro defiantly sounds better..so I don’t mind if there was at least a speaker upgrade.

Man, to be honest, I want trade in my iPad 11” Pro that I picked up during the middle of last year and wait for the next mini.
Ditto. I too want to sell my 11 inch pro and get the mini - perfect with my MacBook Pro M1
I just did this last week, lol. I sold my 2018 iPad Pro 11 to family (with the pencil) and got an iPad mini 5 (base) knowing full well that the mini 6 would be coming out fairly soon.

I've read a 300+ page book on the mini 5 already (after reading 15 books on my 11 last year) - wow, I forgot what it is like to be able to read a book anywhere. The screen doesn't need a matte protector either (at least where I read) - unlike the 11. I don't need a massive pillow on my lap to prop it up for long periods of reading either. I can lay in bed and read for hours without neck pain.

I think I'm sticking with an iPad mini .... But it took me using the 11 Pro all last year to come to that realization. I just didn't use the pencil as much as I expected to justify it - spent most of my time reading books.

Pretty happy with this setup - a lot more than I thought I would be.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
iPad Mini 6

View attachment 1704322
  1. iPad Pro screen design
  2. 9 inch screen size
  3. touchID on the side button
  4. USB C
  5. 2nd gen Apple pencil compatible
If the first 5 of those were true, I'd buy this in a heartbeat, wouldn't even consider this. Lol I'd even buy a spare.

Replace 6. with a new Smart Cover like the older Minis and I'd camp out at an Apple store like people buying the iPhone 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enclavean

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
I'm going to guess it will still be the 1st gen with not much of a redesign.

This is right.

Apple Pencil 2 requires a slab-sided design like the 2018-2020 iPad Pros and the 4th Gen. iPad Air. If the Mini 6 sticks with a design like the Mini 5, there is literally no edge adequately flat to stick a magnetic Pencil 2 on it.

In addition, a Mini 6 based on the design language of the Air 3 will have a lightning port, which is how the 1st gen Apple Pencil charges.

What a damn shame. Nobody wants the 1st gen Apple Pencil.

I’m actually pretty pissed about this Mini 6 news, and am considering not buying it, even though I have saved up for it and am still reading on a bog-slow Mini 2. I own a 2020 12.9” Pro, and was hoping to use the same Apple Pencil 2 on a Mini as well. No way in hell I’m gonna buy a second, inferior 1st gen Apple Pencil to use on a Mini.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
This is right.

Apple Pencil 2 requires a slab-sided design like the 2018-2020 iPad Pros and the 4th Gen. iPad Air. If the Mini 6 sticks with a design like the Mini 5, there is literally no edge adequately flat to stick a magnetic Pencil 2 on it.

In addition, a Mini 6 based on the design language of the Air 3 will have a lightning port, which is how the 1st gen Apple Pencil charges.

What a damn shame. Nobody wants the 1st gen Apple Pencil.

I’m actually pretty pissed about this Mini 6 news, and am considering not buying it, even though I have saved up for it and am still reading on a bog-slow Mini 2. I own a 2020 12.9” Pro, and was hoping to use the same Apple Pencil 2 on a Mini as well. No way in hell I’m gonna buy a second, inferior 1st gen Apple Pencil to use on a Mini.
Yeah I'm also really disappointed by the rumors of the Mini 6. I was really hoping for a redesign like the Air. Give me an Air Mini and it's an instant buy.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
These rumors about the Mini 6 not getting a redesign reminds me of the rumors about the Mini 5. They had predicted that it would have a low-cost, non-laminated display. In actuality, it maintained a laminated display from the Mini 4 and got P3 color and True Tone as a bonus. People even expected an A10 chip in the Mini 5, but it ended up with A12. I’d take these rumors with a grain of salt. Apple could surprise people yet again.

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
As a track coach, the mini is ideal due to portability, screen, battery... My mini 5 ends getting passed around practice and meets to all field events as well as starts and hand-offs for relays. I use Coaches Eye and can leave both written and verbal comments and upload or email thr videos to athletes. I’ll be all over the Mini 6!

Ive got 2 iPads, a “regular” and an Air... I practically never use either... When the Mini 5 added Apple Pencil support, it became ideal to teach with as well...

YMMV

Be Safe
Coachingguy

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Though 8.4” appeals, especially if achieved without too much of an increase to the footprint, I’d keep my 5 on these rumours. Looks like a refurb Air 4 WiFi for me to use alongside it. I want a 5G Air 4 style Mini but a 4G one as it would be if it came this year would give me a dilemma.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I‘m still holding out hope that the mini 6 will be a Mini Air 4 in every way. Like @Crow_Servo says, the iPad mini 5 was lowballed in the rumor mill before its release as well. I also don’t buy the Air 3/10.5” iPP design language rumor for the mini. That design actually copied the iPad mini 4 design with the narrower side bezels.

If we get a mini Air 4, with USB-C and Pencil 2 support and any kind of 1st party keyboard cover/folio, it is insta-buy for me.

I finally got what I always wanted in the iPhone 12 mini, a flagship phone in a one-handed use package. If I can finally get an almost-pro iPad mini, that would be amazing. Combine that with iPadOS 15 that allows for external monitor support for real, and an Apple Silicon Mac mini for the desktop and for remoting into, and well, you’ve got my ideal setup!

StageMomma

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2019
South Carolina
Are we pretty confident that the Mini will be updated this year? It was several years before the mini 4 was updated (4 if I remember correctly).

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
These rumors about the Mini 6 not getting a redesign reminds me of the rumors about the Mini 5. They had predicted that it would have a low-cost, non-laminated display. In actuality, it maintained a laminated display from the Mini 4 and got P3 color and True Tone as a bonus. People even expected an A10 chip in the Mini 5, but it ended up with A12. I’d take these rumors with a grain of salt. Apple could surprise people yet again.
The source who posted these rumors, Macotakara, seemed to have gotten most stuff right though. According to apple track at least. I'd love for them to be wrong, but these rumors were in february 2019, basically a repeat of this year were they posted 1-2 month before launch. I'd love for them to be wrong, my hopes are basically gone at this point.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 19.19.08.png

Teledatageek

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
Upstate New York
I just did this last week, lol. I sold my 2018 iPad Pro 11 to family (with the pencil) and got an iPad mini 5 (base) knowing full well that the mini 6 would be coming out fairly soon.

I've read a 300+ page book on the mini 5 already (after reading 15 books on my 11 last year) - wow, I forgot what it is like to be able to read a book anywhere. The screen doesn't need a matte protector either (at least where I read) - unlike the 11. I don't need a massive pillow on my lap to prop it up for long periods of reading either. I can lay in bed and read for hours without neck pain.

I think I'm sticking with an iPad mini .... But it took me using the 11 Pro all last year to come to that realization. I just didn't use the pencil as much as I expected to justify it - spent most of my time reading books.

Pretty happy with this setup - a lot more than I thought I would be.

Me of little patience wants to run out and get a Mini now but I know when the mini 6 comes, I'll likely want to upgrade. I wish I could find a nice used WiFi, 64GB for mid $200's ($379 new via Education store), that would make the quick upgrade make sense. This of course presumes all the rumors are true about a new mini coming out in March. Decisions....

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
The source who posted these rumors, Macotakara, seemed to have gotten most stuff right though. According to apple track at least. I'd love for them to be wrong, but these rumors were in february 2019, basically a repeat of this year were they posted 1-2 month before launch. I'd love for them to be wrong, my hopes are basically gone at this point.

View attachment 1714656

Actually macokatara don’t have a good record and most of the stuff they have gotten “right” others have reported first before them

who the F would think Mini 5 was going to get a X branded processor ?‍♂️

just like another random leaker who thought 8th Gen iPad was going to get A12X?

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
Actually macokatara don’t have a good record and most of the stuff they have gotten “right” others have reported first before them

who the F would think Mini 5 was going to get a X branded processor ?‍♂️

just like another random leaker who thought 8th Gen iPad was going to get A12X?
I choose to believe you because I want them to be wrong ?

Reactions: BillyiPad95
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.