Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
I know I've already expressed a similar sentiment in this thread, but I want to reiterate that this is a really easy slam dunk for Apple. All they need to do is take the 4th-gen iPad Air, shrink the screen size by ~2.5", cut $100 off the price, and that's the new iPad Mini. It's a cakewalk. That would be the perfect iPad mini for 2021. They can continue selling the current iPad mini at a discounted price if they want to keep a mini iPad in the <$400 price range, but I'm sure many of the mini diehards would take the same price increase that the Air got if it meant getting a fully-featured product. Myself included.
I could not agree more here. I mean, they’ve already done the work on the Air, literally just take what you’ve done and shrink it down into the iPaid mini dimensions, and voila, SOLD SOLD SOLD!

I’m really hoping they announce them here in March so I can finally know one way or the other. Outside of the iPhone SE, Apple does not need to be making any iOS devices with home buttons anymore.

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
I could not agree more here. I mean, they’ve already done the work on the Air, literally just take what you’ve done and shrink it down into the iPaid mini dimensions, and voila, SOLD SOLD SOLD!

I’m really hoping they announce them here in March so I can finally know one way or the other. Outside of the iPhone SE, Apple does not need to be making any iOS devices with home buttons anymore.
I still would prefer a below screen finger print scanner, or remove the swipe thing for face id, what the purpose of it anyway ?

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I actually want everything to stay pretty much the same hardware-wise in the next mini except one thing (other than updated internals which is a given): landscape stereo speakers instead of portrait.

I like bezels and Touch ID.
I’m indifferent about usbc, and pencil and magic keyboard support.

I’d actually like the mini to be slightly smaller so that I can easily grasp the edges in one hand, and so that it can fit in my lounge pants pocket, and so that it is even lighter weight, but that won’t happen.

I basically use my mini as my phone when I’m at home. My iPhone SE1 stays docked and charging, and all functions are routed to my mini via Continuity.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
same design language as Ipad Air & Pro with pencil 2 support, and promotion and I will be a day 1 purchaser, for use as an sketchbook for me to be on me at all times [i constantly have ideas]

Same design as basic ipad - absolutely not buying.
I keep hearing more and more that it will more than likely keep the same design, and I just don’t understand why. I absolutely want a mini in the sense that it would be my go to device for media and social media consumption in bed, on the couch, etc. Instant buy for me if they simply size down the current iPad Air. If they keep the current design in place and just drop an A13 or A14 in it, I’m absolutely not buying either, and at this point and junction, I have to wonder how many people would buy?

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
My wish list: Slightly reduced bezels and pencil 2 support. I like and sometimes prefer Touch ID, so the Pro design is a wash.
I sometimes prefer Touch ID as well. If they simply downsize the current Air, we all get the best of both world: the thinner bezels and more modern design and touch UI, while still keeping Touch ID, now integrated into the power button.

Sign me up for that!

MDTyKe

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Hawaii, USA
I use a mini at the gym; easy to hold while reading. I would be pissed if the new one came out with the old design.. hope it's the Pro like design. At least make a smaller/medium sized Pro that I can easily hold with one hand while biking :)

wmadan

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2013
I use a mini at the gym; easy to hold while reading. I would be pissed if the new one came out with the old design.. hope it's the Pro like design. At least make a smaller/medium sized Pro that I can easily hold with one hand while biking :)
Like you, I use my Mini when working out on my in-home elliptical. I stream TV to it, I have books read to me while I work out. Outside of working out, I use it for taking notes. I use it for reading. It is the most versatile iPad I have used.

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
Before jumping to iPad Pro design or all screen no home button

Apple will milk the iPad Air old gen design first by trimming the bezel

So it might be on iPad Mini 7 not on 6

Reactions: Queru

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

They’ll make the decade full before refreshing it.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016

We dont even have any proof there is a Mini 6 coming at all. Everyone, including Kuo has been dead wrong so far and given the iPhone Mini sluggish sales and Apple abandoning it, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple drops the Mini line completely. Glad I have my 12 Mini and I might as well buy the iPad Mini 5. I doubt we will ever see a 6.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
I’d like all the bells and whistles of the OP, only I don’t need a camera at all.

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
Honestly, if it was up to me to design an iPad mini, I'd just go all out and not skimp on any specs. It would have all the next gen iPad Pro features except the A14X because it's unreasonable to expect it to handle that much heat in a small body. I would put both FaceID and TouchID, make the bezel as thin as possible and use a good LTPO OLED 120Hz Promotion display with always on screen capability.

I would also change the form factor to be around 8-inch 16:9 or 16:10 to make it comfortable to hold vertically with one hand. I like the aspect ratio of the bigger iPads but I think the smaller you go the taller you want the screen to be so somewhere in the middle of a 19.5:9 iPhone screen and 10:7 or 4:3 iPad screen would be good.

Sadly, I think it's more realistic to expect a smaller iPad Air 4. My most requested feature would be a 120Hz Promotion miniLED display but I think even that's too much to ask for. I also don't expect it to have a Smart Connector because Apple wouldn't like anything smaller than a full sized keyboard.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Honestly, if it was up to me to design an iPad mini, I'd just go all out and not skimp on any specs. It would have all the next gen iPad Pro features except the A14X because it's unreasonable to expect it to handle that much heat in a small body. I would put both FaceID and TouchID, make the bezel as thin as possible and use a good LTPO OLED 120Hz Promotion display with always on screen capability.

I would also change the form factor to be around 8-inch 16:9 or 16:10 to make it comfortable to hold vertically with one hand. I like the aspect ratio of the bigger iPads but I think the smaller you go the taller you want the screen to be so somewhere in the middle of a 19.5:9 iPhone screen and 10:7 or 4:3 iPad screen would be good.

Sadly, I think it's more realistic to expect a smaller iPad Air 4. My most requested feature would be a 120Hz Promotion miniLED display but I think even that's too much to ask for. I also don't expect it to have a Smart Connector because Apple wouldn't like anything smaller than a full sized keyboard.
If Apple made the iPad Mini a smaller version of the Pro, they would have to price it at $699 and they would be in the same boat they are with the iPhone Mini. People would cry that it’s too expensive for its size and complain that you can get an 11 inch iPad Pro for an extra $100 and the iPad Mini wouldn’t sell well. Not gonna happen.

It’s going to remain the budget iPad but hopefully it gets updated to the new design with at least the Touch ID from the Air 4. I’m typing this on an Air 4 which I really like. I’d love a Mini version of this for $399.

Last edited:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Add intentional features to have it work with a Mac so it can be used as a full featured graphics tablet that sits between a Wacom screen and an Intuos.

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
If Apple made the iPad Mini a smaller version of the Pro, they would have to price it at $699 ...

It’s going to remain the budget iPad but hopefully it gets updated to the new design with at least the Touch ID from the Air 4. I’m typing this on an Air 4 which I really like. I’d love a Mini version of this for $399.

I think a smaller version of the Air is the most likely course; there is precedent for it, in that both the Mini 4 and Mini 5 were closer to their respective contemporary iPad Airs than they were to the budget iPad.

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
Frankly I have doubts whether an ipad mini following the ipad air, or whatever pro, would be cheaper to produce ..

It's more like a good ipad mini would kill the slogan of an ipad replacing a PC.

When it is more like an ipad is a reading or content or gaming device, when a pc can also sometimes be a working device

Last edited:

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
I was always keen on keyboard compatibility but after getting the 11" iPad Pro and a Magic KB last year, I just avout manage to use that due to the size. I couldm't imagine using a keyboard on an even smaller iPad. I think I like there rest of the wishlist in the original post though. Keep it small and light. I'd like it to stay the same size as the current Mini if possible.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
We dont even have any proof there is a Mini 6 coming at all. Everyone, including Kuo has been dead wrong so far and given the iPhone Mini sluggish sales and Apple abandoning it, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple drops the Mini line completely. Glad I have my 12 Mini and I might as well buy the iPad Mini 5. I doubt we will ever see a 6.

Different products first of all and then the rumoured end of the mini iPhone is really just that, a rumour.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.