Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
It could be a pipe dream for the next Mini to have 5G. It seems like it’ll be a 4 year gap between the Mini 5 and 6, or the Mini 6 doesn’t get 5G.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
Why is that a pipe dream? My iPad Mini 5 has LTE.

It’s a pipe dream for it to make and receive actual phone calls and text messages. Not just FaceTime and iMessages.
Right, what @Crow_Servo said. The data plan for iPad is for ‘data’ only, not full cell (i.e. phone calls).

Basically, I want to force an iPad Mini to be what it’s not because Apple is not offering what I want: an 8” phablet.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
More RAM since it want makes iOS devices obsolete and now a day it is so cheap! But knowing Apple they will try to limit it to 3-4GBs.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Right, what @Crow_Servo said. The data plan for iPad is for ‘data’ only, not full cell (i.e. phone calls).

Basically, I want to force an iPad Mini to be what it’s not because Apple is not offering what I want: an 8” phablet.
Why not set up a Google Voice account and do VOIP?

I understand your pain, but there are workarounds. I have to imagine there would be patent licensing costs to Apple to add call and text functions to a cellular enabled iPad.

Reactions: djlythium

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
Why not set up a Google Voice account and do VOIP?

I understand your pain, but there are workarounds. I have to imagine there would be patent licensing costs to Apple to add call and text functions to a cellular enabled iPad.
Can I use G.Voice to forward all calls to my actual number? Or is it a separate number?

You‘re probably right, but how would it be different for the iPad than the Watch?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Can I use G.Voice to forward all calls to my actual number? Or is it a separate number?

You‘re probably right, but how would it be different for the iPad than the Watch?
You know, I hadn’t thought of the fact the watch can make voice calls. You make a good point. There must be another reason (iPhone sales?) Apple restricts this capability on iPads.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
You know, I hadn’t thought of the fact the watch can make voice calls. You make a good point. There must be another reason (iPhone sales?) Apple restricts this capability on iPads.
Preface: totally speculation. ?

I actually think the limited cell functionality on iPads is a holdover from when Apple disrupted the market, what, over a decade ago now?. Cellular telephonic functionality was exclusive to a phone, and cell service companies + phone manufacturers wanted it to stay that way.

With massive gains in market share, those same companies suddenly saw the potential in expanding out cellular telephonic capabilities, hence Watch, but old habits die hard, hence crippled iPad.

At this point, I agree with you that it’s probably more about Apple not wanting to cannibalize its own sales. What r phones used for: calls, internet, photos, some media, some work functions, but overall a mobile life. Imagine being able to do the same thing, but with a bigger screen. Many folks would choose the bigger screen, as we’ve seen. One of the benefits of the iPhone is its portability. An iPad Mini reduces portability, for sure, but by how much many folks would like to chance.

Personally, I’m thinking I’ll get a Mini w/ cell to use as my daily driver, and try carrying that with me. I can call everyone else with WiFi or FaceTime Audio over cell, and if I need to make a call to anyone else, I can use my Watch. I just hope the Mini has a good camera!

Reactions: ElectronGuru

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I actually think the limited cell functionality on iPads is a holdover from when Apple disrupted the market, what, over a decade ago now?. Cellular telephonic functionality was exclusive to a phone, and cell service companies + phone manufacturers wanted it to stay that way.

Yeah, I don't believe there were any technological limitations with adding phone capabilites to the iPad. Heck, if you sign up for cellular service on the iPad, it gets assigned a phone number anyway. Granted, there could have been cost and licensing considerations involved.

My first vacation to the Philippines, I bought a local 3G USB modem + SIM for my laptop. The drivers/software included with the 3G modem allowed phone calls and texting through the laptop. There was no distinction between phone and data SIMs. All SIMs could be used on any device. You just need to load funds and sign up for whatever call/text/data package you need.

My next trip, I had brought an iPad LTE with me and the local carrier was actually sending SMS to the iPad. The SMS showed up as notifications on the iPad but didn't get saved anywhere.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
Yeah, I don't believe there were any technological limitations with adding phone capabilites to the iPad. Heck, if you sign up for cellular service on the iPad, it gets assigned a phone number anyway. Granted, there could have been cost and licensing considerations involved.

My first vacation to the Philippines, I bought a local 3G USB modem + SIM for my laptop. The drivers/software included with the 3G modem allowed phone calls and texting through the laptop. There was no distinction between phone and data SIMs. All SIMs could be used on any device. You just need to load funds and sign up for whatever call/text/data package you need.

My next trip, I had brought an iPad LTE with me and the local carrier was actually sending SMS to the iPad. The SMS showed up as notifications on the iPad but didn't get saved anywhere.
Right, I agree it’s not a technical limitation. Apple just needs to ‘flip the digital switch’.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
And it will be plenty! I can’t think of a time when RAM has been an issue with my Mini 5.
I agree. I didn’t have RAM issues on the Mini 5 either, and definitely don’t have RAM issues on the Air 4. Apps are still optimized to work on iPads with 2GBs of RAM, so 4 is more than enough.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Personally, I’m thinking I’ll get a Mini w/ cell to use as my daily driver, and try carrying that with me. I can call everyone else with WiFi or FaceTime Audio over cell, and if I need to make a call to anyone else, I can use my Watch. I just hope the Mini has a good camera!

Things may have changed but last time I tried to iPad + watch the idea stalled in that a watch must be paired with a phone. You can get around this with an old phone but it’s still an extra step and hassle that pads can’t serve as bases for watches.

Reactions: djlythium

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
Things may have changed but last time I tried to iPad + watch the idea stalled in that a watch must be paired with a phone. You can get around this with an old phone but it’s still an extra step and hassle that pads can’t serve as bases for watches.
Right, yeah, that's what I am hoping will change with ipadOS[whatever's next]. ?

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I have a mini 5 which runs well with no performance issues. My only issue with it is that over the last two years of heavy use, I think I have significantly worn down the battery. If a Mini 6 is released later this year, I will likely trade in the "5" due to the battery issue, especially if the "6" comes with a slightly larger screen and a faster processor, as is expected. It doesn't have to be a "Pro" being that I would not be all that thrilled with a USB-C connector. I have that connector on my Windows laptop and I find it overrated being that the "female" plug often does not have a secure connection with the computer, plus I am already heavily invested in lightening cables and accessories. Plus I fear Apple would remove the headphone jack, which would make connecting wired headphones more of a hassle. If they remove the headphone jack and leave the lightening connector, I already have lightning ear-pods. I hope they leave both the headphone jack AND the lightning connector.

Barsal

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
If Apple release an iPad mini with Air 4 design, we could forget about keeping the headphone jack (which I don't mind as I have the AirPods ?)

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I tend to agree with you that the headphone jack would be eliminated on an "Air 4" design which is one reason I hope Apple sticks with lightning. I have air pods too, but I still like the option of using wired ear pods as a quick and easy alternative, being that the air pods need to be connected via bluetooth which sometimes doesn't work the first time and the air pods often need to be recharged. It is my personal opinion that wired ear pods and headphones should always be easy to connect to a device without having to go through dongle hell.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have a mini 5 which runs well with no performance issues. My only issue with it is that over the last two years of heavy use, I think I have significantly worn down the battery. If a Mini 6 is released later this year, I will likely trade in the "5" due to the battery issue, especially if the "6" comes with a slightly larger screen and a faster processor, as is expected. It doesn't have to be a "Pro" being that I would not be all that thrilled with a USB-C connector. I have that connector on my Windows laptop and I find it overrated being that the "female" plug often does not have a secure connection with the computer, plus I am already heavily invested in lightening cables and accessories. Plus I fear Apple would remove the headphone jack, which would make connecting wired headphones more of a hassle. If they remove the headphone jack and leave the lightening connector, I already have lightning ear-pods. I hope they leave both the headphone jack AND the lightning connector.
Don’t fall into their trap! You can just have the battery serviced for $99 if that’s the main reason.

I tend to agree with you that the headphone jack would be eliminated on an "Air 4" design which is one reason I hope Apple sticks with lightning. I have air pods too, but I still like the option of using wired ear pods as a quick and easy alternative, being that the air pods need to be connected via bluetooth which sometimes doesn't work the first time and the air pods often need to be recharged. It is my personal opinion that wired ear pods and headphones should always be easy to connect to a device without having to go through dongle hell.
Yeah I really don’t see the reason to remove it from iPads. Wired headphones aren’t going anywhere for the charging reason you mentioned and because of zero latency for applications where latency matters. And like you said, dongles just add hassle and bulk, especially having to split audio and charging. I reluctantly accepted it for phones because they’re small—every tiny space counts and phones aren’t used as much for audio work. But iPads are big so real estate isn’t as precious, and they are used more for work. It was a mistake to remove it from the pros. I use my mini for audio work so that would keep me from upgrading if they remove it.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Referencing the above video, I have no idea why this person keeps calling it a Pro Mini. He admits it will likely get A14 with 4GB RAM. He thinks it’ll keep the lightening port. Doesn’t sound like a Pro to me. Sounds like a compromised Mini version of the Air 4 to me.

Reactions: Phil1975 and Icaras
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.