Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
The HomePod mini sold out though.

They probably produced even less stock knowing well ahead that even HomePods you find on a shelf today we’re build in the first batch in 2018. That way you can at least make a headline “sold out” and keep the guessing articles going.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
They probably produced even less stock knowing well ahead that even HomePods you find on a shelf today we’re build in the first batch in 2018. That way you can at least make a headline “sold out” and keep the guessing articles going.
Both products are vastly different (not just in price).

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Both products are vastly different (not just in price).

Sure sure. Repeat it until you believe it.
Amazon has the dirt cheap market. HomePod has yet to be launched in some areas. The wheels won’t spin backwards.

But coming back on topic, the iPad mini is likely the more successful product.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I don't think they purposely limit manufacturing to sell out. Rather, they're being very conservative given the lackluster sales of the original HomePod.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Sure sure. Repeat it until you believe it.
emoji1787.png
They have completely different internals and completely different designs. What do you not understand?
1618107545880.png

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
They have completely different internals and completely different designs. What do you not understand?
View attachment 1756140

Oh I understand this fine. The smaller one will now take the world by storm. Because you found word on the internet about it.
The cheaper HomePod will not turn the tide in smart audio. Feel free to come back and teach me my mistake in a few years in the unlikely case you are correct.

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
All these voice interaction stuff are utterly boring anyway, isn't the usage of siri, google assistant, alexa and the like decreasing ?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
All these voice interaction stuff are utterly boring anyway, isn't the usage of siri, google assistant, alexa and the like decreasing ?
People are buying Alexa devices like hotcakes. I'm not sure about Google Assistant devices though. Do you have one of those devices?
Oh I understand this fine. The smaller one will now take the world by storm. Because you found word on the internet about it.
The cheaper HomePod will not turn the tide in smart audio. Feel free to come back and teach me my mistake in a few years in the unlikely case you are correct.
Oh yeah, I forgot that you're never capable of being wrong. :rolleyes:

For one, why would the cheaper HomePod fail? You still don't seem to realize that it's targeted at a much wider market compared to the more expensive HomePod. The more expensive HomePod was generally niche and only attracted a small market of audiophiles. The cheaper HomePod is geared towards the everyday individual. Seriously, why is that so hard to understand? Would I have more luck talking to a brick wall?

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
People are buying Alexa devices like hotcakes. I'm not sure about Google Assistant devices though. Do you have one of those devices?
Of course not, I'm not using voice recognition on my phones, so for sure I'm not going to buy a dedicated device for it, and that is linked to some sort of content provider, that's for sure ..

And if more and more people are falling for it, then good for them .. !

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

Oh yeah, I forgot that you're never capable of being wrong. :rolleyes:

For one, why would the cheaper HomePod fail? You still don't seem to realize that it's targeted at a much wider market compared to the more expensive HomePod. The more expensive HomePod was generally niche and only attracted a small market of audiophiles. The cheaper HomePod is geared towards the everyday individual. Seriously, why is that so hard to understand? Would I have more luck talking to a brick wall?

Thanks for sharing your opinion. As I said, come back when it has a significant market share, shall we start low and say a third of the Alexa capable devices?

The everyday individual? Time will tell.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Of course not, I'm not using voice recognition on my phones, so for sure I'm not going to buy a dedicated device for it, and that is linked to some sort of content provider, that's for sure ..

And if more and more people are falling for it, then good for them .. !
Different strokes for different folks?
Thanks for sharing your opinion. As I said, come back when it has a significant market share, shall we start low and say a third of the Alexa capable devices?

The everyday individual? Time will tell.
I'm not interested in arguing with you. Let's just wait and see what happens.

Reactions: ericwn

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm only replacing my fifth generation mini with one if it's exactly the same design. Otherwise, I already have Airs that have the full screen design and Apple pencil support.

Reactions: sracer

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I won't be replacing my mini 5 even if we get a mini in Air 4 style. As much as I love my mini when I use it (travel, bed, podcasts, occasional reading and annotation), I don't use it enough to justify replacing it before it has some kind of serious issue (bad battery, slowdown), which will problaby not happen before a several years. The 11 and the 12.9 definitely get much more use....

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
With an April event literally a week away and with iPads seeming to have a dominating share of the focus and with quite a few conflicting rumors, I'm curious as to what you all THINK will happen with the iPad mini this year.

Personally, I'm believing that Apple will give the mini an update similar to that of the fourth generation iPad Air, complete with rounded display corners, a larger display size (with a similar size footprint) and 5Gbps USB-C. This will be as much an analogue to the 4th Generation iPad Air as the 3rd Generation iPad Air was to the current iPad mini. They weren't pouring resources into that TouchID sleep/wake button to only be used on one device and I can't see Apple marketing ProMotion and FaceID to an iPad seen as lower end than the 4th Generation iPad Air.

Of course, something faster than the A12 Bionic already in the current mini is a given. At least all of that is my prediction.

Though, the only thing that gives me pause was that I remember reading somewhere that iPad minis have a very widespread application in businesses wherein stability in the form factor is important (also where the headphone jack and lightning port are both used for accessories that command longer term support than Apple gives in other iPad models). I don't have any information to back that up, but I could certainly see that being the case, in which case the iPad mini may not get updated at all or may just get an internal bump to the processor.

That mock-up seems to indicate the latter possibility, while most other reliable leakers and analysts seem to believe (as I do) in the former scenario. What say you all?

(I'm mainly asking what your predictions are in this post. What you want to see on the upgrade for the next iPad mini is fine, but not the primary focus of this post. But while we're on the topic here, I do love that the screen resolution on the current mini has been in use since the 3rd Generation iPad came out in March of 2012 and therefore will perfectly display a ton of older iPad apps that haven't been updated to use newer iPad display sizes and resolutions. That and, at least as far as the mini is concerned, I'd much rather lightning and a headphone jack than JUST USB-C.)

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I would like to see minimal bezels and FaceID with the iPad mini.

I think most would. But that seems highly unlikely.

Judging by recent CAD leaks, I don't think we will see any design differences. I assume the iPad mini 7 will be redesigned to look like the iPad Air 4 though.
The CAD leaks say one thing. The supply chain seems to say another. It could also be a CAD leak for the current iPad mini, in which case there may not be an update. The conflict of predictions from reliable sources makes this one interesting, hence the post. I'm definitely rooting for continuity of the current design. But, I also accept that, like the death of the iPhone Plus series and the eventual end of home-button-based 4.7" iPhones, the current design of iPad mini likely won't last forever and that Apple will likely eventually want all new iPads to conform to the new design language of the current Air and Pros.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Would they really forego apple pencil 2 by not having a redesign ? That's the question!
That is an interesting point. I'm sure they're eager to complete the transition to the second generation Apple Pencil; though, they'll still be supporting it for as long as the 8th Generation iPad remains on sale at the very least.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
That is an interesting point. I'm sure they're eager to complete the transition to the second generation Apple Pencil; though, they'll still be supporting it for as long as the 8th Generation iPad remains on sale at the very least.

Redesign = Apple Pencil 2, USB-C

No Redesign = Apple Pencil 1, Lightning connector

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.