Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
That's not what I'm trying to say. It has to be a CAD leak for the mini 6, not the more than two-year-old mini 5. Why would Apple be making CADs for such an old device?

You misunderstand me. I’m not saying it’s a leak for the Mini 5, but for a 2021 iPad Mini with the same style as the 5 — and that that doesn’t mean there won’t ALSO be another Mini with the same style as the Air 4.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
That would presumably happen if they were doing a Mini Pro and a regular Mini, but I don’t think anyone expects them to do that and the Mini will instead get a minimal update.

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
If they still reuse to old design for the sake of spreading out their updates even more (supply chain guy in charge) then I might just keep using a paper notebook in my clinical classes. I really dislike Apples strategy of holding out on updates to milk more from the current gen. If they keep using this design then they clearly want us to buy the iPad mini 6 and then buy the redesigned iPad mini 7 in 1-2 years.

Reactions: calstanford

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
If they still reuse to old design for the sake of spreading out their updates even more (supply chain guy in charge) then I might just keep using a paper notebook in my clinical classes. I really dislike Apples strategy of holding out on updates to milk more from the current gen. If they keep using this design then they clearly want us to buy the iPad mini 6 and then buy the redesigned iPad mini 7 in 1-2 years.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they want you to purchase every device they make. But is there a compelling competitor in this size that would otherwise get the sale?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
My thoughts as well. Over years they only kept one mini version around. I doubt that market is suddenly expanding into multiple models.
As I said they are not coming at the same time, the old style mini is coming now, the redesigned one probably next year

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
There have been no rumors of an iPad Mini Air.
Yes, there have been leaks, but they called it "pro". My guess it will rather be a "air" style, since it won't have a keyboard anyway and I doubt they'll want to price it higher than the air, 499 IMO
Maybe later this year?
If they create a separate line (mini air, or even mini pro) yes, if it's the mini 7 they won't release it in the same year

Reactions: Icaras

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Yes, there have been leaks, but they called it "pro". My guess it will rather be a "air" style, since it won't have a keyboard anyway and I doubt they'll want to price it higher than the air, 499 IMO

If they create a separate line (mini air, or even mini pro) yes, if it's the mini 7 they won't release it in the same year
Why wasn't the iPad Air 4 called the iPad Air Pro then? I think that the mini 7 will be the "mini pro" later this year/next year and the mini 6 will soon be an incremental upgrade to hold people over until then.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Why wasn't the iPad Air 4 called the iPad Air Pro then? I think that the mini 7 will be the "mini pro" later this year/next year and the mini 6 will soon be an incremental upgrade to hold people over until then.
I don't understand your point. The air 4 was not called pro because it's not replacing the pro.
They won't make a pro and remove the non pro, it doesn't make sense.
So if they make a mini pro (and in this case if could come later this year), it will be a new line, and the mini will continue to exist as a more budget line. Otherwise they'll just call the redesign mini 7, increase the price, and discontinue the old design completely.
I tend to believe the second option is more likely, but I wouldn't rule out the other completely.
What I would rule out completely is a mini pro (with the name "pro") and no other mini.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I don't understand your point. The air 4 was not called pro because it's not replacing the pro.
They won't make a pro and remove the non pro, it doesn't make sense.
So if they make a mini pro (and in this case if could come later this year), it will be a new line, and the mini will continue to exist as a more budget line. Otherwise they'll just call the redesign mini 7, increase the price, and discontinue the old design completely.
I tend to believe the second option is more likely, but I wouldn't rule out the other completely.
What I would rule out completely is a mini pro (with the name "pro") and no other mini.
Honestly, who knows at this point? All of this is too confusing, but we will have to wait for rumors to roll in before saying anything else.

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
I wouldn’t be surprised if they want you to purchase every device they make. But is there a compelling competitor in this size that would otherwise get the sale?
Probably they would lose sales to A) People like who me will just not buy it, B) People who are on iPad mini 4/5 and wouldn't be enticed without a full-redesign

Category A would also include people who just end up finding another way to fill what they wanted their iPad mini for, in my case I'll probably around a small paper notebook.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Looks like the rumors say that the iPad Mini 6 will be just a refresh of the internal components: A13, 4GB and maybe an upgraded iPhone 8 cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.