Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PilotC150

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
Very disappointed. I'm looking for an iPad Mini and don't want to get an outdated device. Now I'm not sure if Mini is the right option or something that's been updated more recently, even if it's bigger.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Very disappointed. I'm looking for an iPad Mini and don't want to get an outdated device. Now I'm not sure if Mini is the right option or something that's been updated more recently, even if it's bigger.
The Mini 5 gets the job done extremely well for those who NEED the form-factor.

The Mini 6 is coming in 2022 at the earliest, and THAT will continue to have the Mini 5 physical design with the physical home button and headphone jack. Don't expect an iPad Pro-like Mini until 2024 at the earliest.

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
Based on the last "leak" that supposedly showed a new Mini which looked exactly like a current one, it is probably a blessing that there was no "new" Mini released today. There is still hope that an updated model with at least a slightly larger screen will be released later in the year or early next year, since nothing was released today. The A12 in the Mini 5 still runs well without any slowing. I can afford to wait up to another year for a refreshed model.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
The refurb store in my country hasn’t had any Mini 5’s for a while, and I think I’ve only ever seen one on there that was a cellular model. Not a good time to be a Mini fan, even if I was planning on skipping the 6.

I’ll be renewing my AC+ I think. An underwhelming but larger screened 6 might have found a home with a relative if my 5 gave up before a 7 came out, now I’m wondering if there will ever be a 7 at all.

What do we think the chances are of the Mini 6 being announced alongside the iPad 9 in the fall? The Air 4 was announced alongside the iPad 8 if I recall correctly.

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
There were no iPad mini rumors to begin with other than that CAD leak. We could easily see the mini 6 be a press release soon if it doesn't have updated design.
It would not shock me if that CAD leak was for the Mini 5. It could be an old drawing, or even a CAD leak for a new case for a current apple product. Time will tell if it ends up meaning anything related to a new product.

I am skeptical why Apple would bother to update the Mini at this time for simply a processor boost to an A13 or an A14. The A12 does not run slowly at this time. I would think Apple would only release an update at this time if it updated the design and/or reduced the bezels to enlarge the screen in addition to a new processor.

The A8 in the Mini 4 was already not running well when the Mini 5 was released, since it was 4 generations behind. Besides, the Mini 5 added Apple pencil support, which the Mini 4 did not have. Since I traded the 4 for the 5, I can testify about the value of those improvements.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
IPad mini will likely be updated in some way later this year, along with the regular iPad. An iPad/IPad mini update this spring never made sense, iPad was just updated last September, and both of the devices use the same chip

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I join the ranks of disappointed. I really need to update my old Mini. Now it's either a Mini 5 or jump to the new iPad Pro.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I never expected a new mini this year. It’s only been 2 years since Apple threw old parts in the most recent mini. It hasn’t been 5 years yet. ? No in all seriousness, having an updated mini as an option would be great. I’m sure if Apple was making enough money to justify it they would release it. Maybe it will be released later.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I never expected a new mini this year. It’s only been 2 years since Apple threw old parts in the most recent mini. It hasn’t been 5 years yet. 😄 No in all seriousness, having an updated mini as an option would be great. I’m sure if Apple was making enough money to justify it they would release it. Maybe it will be released later.

Yeah Apple didn't felt like raiding the iPad parts bins, haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.