Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
The point regarding the R&D of the relocated TouchID is a good one - it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to do it for only one device, so they must be considering its application for others. The Mini and the Air have been paired together spec-wise in the past, so this could be very similar.

I will predict: release a Mini 6 in the style of the current Air, but keep the Mini 5 for sale alongside the base iPad.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
The point regarding the R&D of the relocated TouchID is a good one - it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to do it for only one device, so they must be considering its application for others. The Mini and the Air have been paired together spec-wise in the past, so this could be very similar.

I will predict: release a Mini 6 in the style of the current Air, but keep the Mini 5 for sale alongside the base iPad.
Makes sense. Just like how Apple kept the iPhone 11 around to bridge the pricing gap between the iPhone XR and iPhone 12 mini.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
My scenario:

I love the mini, but:

I hit the home button when I rest my wrist on the screen while using the pen (Goodnotes) - which I use daily. If I'm writing by hand for a bit, I'll usually turn the device upside down so the home button is out of the way. So, I'm hoping for getting rid if the home button - ala iPad Air 4.

Bezels are comically large for the device. I'd love to see it look like an iPad Air 4... and to be honest, I'd rather see an OLED screen like phones/watches.

If none of that happens... I'm holding onto my mini 5.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I’m set on cellular this time (had considered ditching it as it didn’t get much use on the iPad 3) however after that, I don’t want to buy another before 5G comes up. I expect to be waiting until 2023 for the Mini.

Air 4 style would however be hard to resist so an underwhelming update would make things easier.

If the Mini goes Air 4 style I could see them keeping the Mini 5 for sale as another poster said, and reducing the price of that to take some of the criticism out of the Mini 6 price increase.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Like most people, would love air 4 style.

But I’m expecting same old design, A14 and that’s it. Nothing worth upgrading for :(
In fact, if they make it bigger with the old design it will actually be worse!

Ravi_MR

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
While I would love an update to my beloved mini, I seriously doubt it will happen this year. The current mini's performance is great and it also supports Apple Pencil (1). So what is the point of updating it now? It doesn't need a faster processor at the moment. I also doubt if apple would make a design change to the mini device just for the sake of a design change... So am not getting my hopes up. But if there is redesigned mini, would buy it immediately.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
While I would love an update to my beloved mini, I seriously doubt it will happen this year. The current mini's performance is great and it also supports Apple Pencil (1). So what is the point of updating it now? It doesn't need a faster processor at the moment. I also doubt if apple would make a design change to the mini device just for the sake of a design change... So am not getting my hopes up. But if there is redesigned mini, would buy it immediately.
All totally fair points. To play devil’s advocate, the Air 3 was closely aligned spec and feature-wise with the Mini 5 and they chose to update it to a new design. Was that just for the sake of design change, or needed? It’s difficult to define need in this case.

Historically, the Mini has been tied to the Air most frequently, or it’s been abandoned for stretches. If they keep only the current form factor of the Mini for another generation they will be aligning it with the base iPad pretty clearly, which would be a shift in philosophy.

I, too, would buy a re-design immediately, so I’m hopeful.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I don't need one but would be very intrigued if they re-design and am holding cash in case they do.

Reactions: ericwn

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
I just got a used mini 5 - (yea I could not wait - to a maybe update).... But I do want a cellular mini - I am really hoping for less bezel....

Reactions: sracer

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
A non redesigned mini 6 is necessary and makes sense now, because it wouldn't make much sense if they make the iPad 9 laminated, as rumoured, and turn it basically into an air 3 for cheaper than a mini 5, so to justify the 399 they need to add A14 to the mini (maybe slightly increase the screen, but I wouldn't bet on it).
Remember the air 4 made sense for Apple to push sales of the Magic Keyboard, but there is no keyboard for the mini, nor there will be any from Apple.
Does this mean it won't be redesigned? No. It will probably be early next year based on rumors, but expect the price to jump to 499.

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016

This is the best explanation for the seemingly conflicting leaks and rumors. Good thinking. Maybe they’ll call them the Mini 6 and the Mini Air or Mini Pro.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Redesign = Apple Pencil 2, USB-C

No Redesign = Apple Pencil 1, Lightning connector

This seems obvious.

My gut feeling is there will not be a new iPad mini released next week and if there is it is going to be the same design with some updated internals.

I feel like there either isn't going to be an updated model or it will be a design refresh and that's based on the supply chain leakers. The only thing giving me pause is the notion that the mini has a lot more specific industrial use cases in the wild that would be less able to adapt to a changing redesign. Otherwise, it took four years to go from the iPad mini 4 to the fifth generation iPad mini and throughout that time it was looking pretty grim for the future of the iPad mini.

if they get rid of the bezels I'm a player! if not I will buy an air 4

Honestly, I have both the fourth generation iPad Air and the fifth generation iPad mini and the swipe up gesture is not as easy or consistent to use on the former as it is on the latter (as well as the FaceID equipped iPhones). Which is to say that for all the bezel and home button hate, the lack thereof isn't all it's cracked up to be.

A CAD leak for a device that's more than three years old at this point?

The fifth generation iPad mini is just over two years old and well under three. Unless you're talking about the iPad mini 4, which is just over five years old. Either way, if you're trying to leak Apple CAD files and you find a file that says "iPad mini" and is in the same location as the CAD files for other iPads, are you not going to grab it? I'm not saying it's not legitimate. Just that a CAD rendering of an iPad that is externally identical to the current one doesn't really tell us much, especially when in conflict with a number of reliable analysts and leakers.

I could see them continuing to sell the fifth generation mini alongside the sixth, if the sixth brings a massive redesign, but only for the industrial customers for whom a complete redesign would be too drastic of a change to adapt to overnight, assuming that theory has any validity to it. That and/or if the price of said sixth generation iPad mini went up the way the price of the third generation iPad Air went up for the fourth generation.

My scenario:

I love the mini, but:

I hit the home button when I rest my wrist on the screen while using the pen (Goodnotes) - which I use daily. If I'm writing by hand for a bit, I'll usually turn the device upside down so the home button is out of the way. So, I'm hoping for getting rid if the home button - ala iPad Air 4.

Bezels are comically large for the device. I'd love to see it look like an iPad Air 4... and to be honest, I'd rather see an OLED screen like phones/watches.

If none of that happens... I'm holding onto my mini 5.

Again, I own both the fifth generation mini and the fourth generation Air; home button totally aside, swiping up from the bottom to mimic previous home button functionality does not work as well on the Air. I'm usually better off using the five finger pinch gesture that dates back to iOS 5 and circa the first two generations of iPad (before there was mini, Pro, or Air). All that to say, that it's not as effective as it is on iPhones that use it and it makes me miss the home button, even at the nominal cost of bezels. Then again, I never understood people's hate of bezels.

I’m set on cellular this time (had considered ditching it as it didn’t get much use on the iPad 3) however after that, I don’t want to buy another before 5G comes up. I expect to be waiting until 2023 for the Mini.

Air 4 style would however be hard to resist so an underwhelming update would make things easier.

If the Mini goes Air 4 style I could see them keeping the Mini 5 for sale as another poster said, and reducing the price of that to take some of the criticism out of the Mini 6 price increase.

I have cellular on my fifth generation iPad mini. It's awesome. I don't find myself wishing I had 5G; LTE is plenty fast and it's not like I can really do unlimited amounts of downloading or streaming (without getting throttled to a slower connection speed) anyway. Having had cellular on multiple 9.7" iPads, I can definitely say that it makes way more sense on smaller iPads that are more likely to be taken places where Wi-Fi isn't accessible or open. I didn't find myself wanting to cart around my 9.7" iPads to as many places as my iPad mini. Plus the mini fits in my front pants pockets in ways that no other iPad will.

I don't understand the notion of "it doesn't need a faster processor at the moment". All Apple SoCs are only supported for a limited amount of time. The A12 really won't be an exception to that rule. An A14 on the iPad mini means it will last at least two more years before inevitably being rendered a paperweight. The fact that the A12 is decent today doesn't mean that there aren't people out there wanting to buy an iPad mini who won't want their iPad mini to last longer.

We rent these devices, whether we admit it or not, whether we end up surrendering or selling them or not. Eventually they become unusable.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
This is the best explanation for the seemingly conflicting leaks and rumors. Good thinking. Maybe they’ll call them the Mini 6 and the Mini Air or Mini Pro.
Guys the 2 leaks are not conflicting, they are just for different periods, and, as I explained above, they both make sense. Will Apple keep around the old style once they come out with the updated style mini? Maybe, even if personally I doubt it. But the updated style won't be released before many months or likely next year.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Yes, I have Cellular on my Mini 5 and had justified the decision very quickly use wise. I’m perfectly happy with 4G for now and would skip any update that wasn’t Air 4 style. But as someone who holds onto devices a long time usually (iPad 3 until 2019!), I don’t want to be updating and then staying on 4G until the late 2020’s and potentially buying a model late in the day if the Mini 7 is the 5G one but then gets the Mini 4 treatment.

Re: Was the Air 4 necessary? Potentially yes, due to the rising number of bright spot cases in the Air 3, itself originally thought to have solved the issue seen in the Pro 10.5. So on that basis the Mini may not mirror the Air again and it might have been a case of doing what was necessary for each line at the time. Mini 4 was really showing its age I understand, but still sold new until that point.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, I have Cellular on my Mini 5 and had justified the decision very quickly use wise. I’m perfectly happy with 4G for now and would skip any update that wasn’t Air 4 style. But as someone who holds onto devices a long time usually (iPad 3 until 2019!), I don’t want to be updating and then staying on 4G until the late 2020’s and potentially buying a model late in the day if the Mini 7 is the 5G one but then gets the Mini 4 treatment.

It may very well be the case that, whether new body style or old, the next mini will get 5G. That being said, minis aren't THAT expensive; you could sell your mini 5 for a mini 6. The updated processor and 5G (as well as Wi-Fi 6) would probably make it worth doing alone. Plus, it's not like you can't then turn around and sell your mini 5. I advise most people sell their iPads at the half-way mark (in terms of their support of whatever iPadOS version is the latest) and use the earnings towards a new one.

Re: Was the Air 4 necessary? Potentially yes, due to the rising number of bright spot cases in the Air 3, itself originally thought to have solved the issue seen in the Pro 10.5. So on that basis the Mini may not mirror the Air again and it might have been a case of doing what was necessary for each line at the time. Mini 4 was really showing its age I understand, but still sold new until that point.
I don't know that the change in body style was solely driven by the poor 10.5" LCD panels. I think, as far as Apple is concerned, that IS a plus. But they're very clearly transitioning away from the design language used from the original Air and 1st gen iPad mini (which was later tweaked around the time of the Air 2 and mini 4, and then again, ever slightly with the mini 5, Air 3, 10.5" iPad Pro, and 5th through 8th generation iPad) to that used by the 11" iPad Pro and later generations of 12.9" iPad Pro. That transition is what drove the Air to make a similar jump and it'll likely be what drives the mini and standard iPad to also make that jump as well.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I don't think Apple cares about the white spot. The main reason for the Air 4 was to sell more Magic Keyboards and Pencil 2.
The 10.5 is even rumored to come back with the base iPad 9 and stay there for 2 years (this year with A12 and next with A14).
As for the mini 6, expect all the internal upgrades (wifi, 5G, A14 etc.) with this generation, while the external Air 4 treatment will come later, probably as a new generation next year, or a new parallel model, but again end of this year of next year, not now

Reactions: playtech1

Ravi_MR

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
I don't understand the notion of "it doesn't need a faster processor at the moment". All Apple SoCs are only supported for a limited amount of time. The A12 really won't be an exception to that rule. An A14 on the iPad mini means it will last at least two more years before inevitably being rendered a paperweight. The fact that the A12 is decent today doesn't mean that there aren't people out there wanting to buy an iPad mini who won't want their iPad mini to last longer.
Fair point; for the new buyers, it would be good to update just the processor for the sake of longevity though its current performance is fine(for current owners)

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
How not? You think the recent CAD leak doesn’t match either a mini 5 style design or an Air 4 style design?
That's not what I'm trying to say. It has to be a CAD leak for the mini 6, not the more than two-year-old mini 5. Why would Apple be making CADs for such an old device?

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
That's not what I'm trying to say. It has to be a CAD leak for the mini 6, not the more than two-year-old mini 5. Why would Apple be making CADs for such an old device?

That's assuming the CAD is what it's purported as being.

I have my doubts really. The leaker also mentioned it being thicker ? You'd think it'd get thinner, not thicker, if any physical changes at all.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Predictions? Very hard because you hear everything and nothing. It is THE BIG update everyone has been waiting for for some months now and and then again now they say it is just an internal upgrade or even no new iPad mini.

I don't need an almost bezel less Mini. But much thinner bezels, like when the 10.5 iPad Pro/Air was announced many years ago, bezels very quite bit smaller, that would be enough for me. It is still nice to hold the sides without holding into the display. FaceID or TouchID, I don't really care, FaceID might be a little more convenient.

Only two things, smaller bezels and, one big thing as I use my Mini on the go quite a lot. 5G. Not because of 5G but because of the inferior Qualcomm modem. iPad mini imo already had better reception than most iPhones, maybe because of these antenna design and size. But having this big antennas and better design combined with the Qualcomm 5G modem, OMG. That would be so amazing, as I stream sometimes on the go, traveling, with not so good reception most of the time.

And maybe a bit better display quality, more vibrant colors. Don't need 120HZ as it uses much power, I owned the iPad Pro 11 once and it shows.

Soooo...

1.) smaller bezels, however they do it
2.) Qualcomm modem (5G)
3.) more vibrant display

And a Smart Keyboard for the Mini would be nice. I don't need the way better Magic Keyboard, but an Apple Keyboard designed for the Mini would be nice either way.

Last edited:

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Oh, another, older, Mini 6 thread, maybe make it one?

Predictions? Very hard because you hear everything and nothing. It is THE BIG update everyone has been waiting for for some months now and and then again now they say it is just an internal upgrade or even no new iPad mini.

I don't need an almost bezel less Mini. But much thinner bezels, like when the 10.5 iPad Pro/Air was announced many years ago, bezels very quite bit smaller, that would be enough for me. It is still nice to hold the sides without holding into the display. FaceID or TouchID, I don't really care, FaceID might be a little more convenient.

Only two things, smaller bezels and, one big thing as I use my Mini on the go quite a lot. 5G. Not because of 5G but because of the inferior Qualcomm modem. iPad mini imo already had better reception than most iPhones, maybe because of these antenna design and size. But having this big antennas and better design combined with the Qualcomm 5G modem, OMG. That would be so amazing, as I stream sometimes on the go, traveling, with not so good reception most of the time.

And maybe a bit better display quality, more vibrant colors. Don't need 120HZ as it uses much power, I owned the iPad Pro 11 once and it shows.

Soooo...

1.) smaller bezels, however they do it
2.) Qualcomm modem (5G)
3.) more vibrant display

And a Smart Keyboard for the Mini would be nice. I don't need the way better Magic Keyboard, but an Apple Keyboard designed for the Mini would be nice either way.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
That's assuming the CAD is what it's purported as being.

I have my doubts really. The leaker also mentioned it being thicker ? You'd think it'd get thinner, not thicker, if any physical changes at all.
The person who leaked the CADs is known to be reliable when it comes to that stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.