Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Add intentional features to have it work with a Mac so it can be used as a full featured graphics tablet that sits between a Wacom screen and an Intuos.

Isn’t that what sidecar does? Although in this case I remember I didn’t like tiny graphic tablets or tiny editing screens, regardless of the small use case.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
The iPad mini should be an iPad Air 4.

Bezel-less design, Touch ID on the top button.

Around 9 inches.

Apple Pencil 2 compatibility.

A14

With this many people I think would love the iPad mini, as it is now practically the size of an iPhone 12 Pro Max, and, with the reduced bezels, the size of the iPad mini would be similar to the current iPad mini.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Just wanted to correct you on this point, the iPad mini screen is actually almost twice as big as the iPhone pro Max screen.
As someone with a 12 Pro Max and a lovely iPad mini 5 - I'm surprised so many posters say how the screens are the same.

1613502741225.jpeg

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
It is a little more than one inch difference (6.7 vs. 7.9). In the photo, side by side, the difference can be seen.?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
Always wondered how they got those numbers. I think it's one diagonal end to the other diagonal right? So that's why they're so similar? lol

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/c...19,Apple-iPhone-12-Pro-Max/phones/11157,11331

View attachment 1731118

iPad mini 5 on left, iPhone 12 Pro Max on right.

I have no idea. lol.
I guess it will be because of the screen ratio (4:3 and 19.5:9), the bezels of the iPad mini and the curves of the iPhone screen (which actually shows less screen than announced).

Reactions: BigMcGuire

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
The iPad mini should be an iPad Air 4.

Bezel-less design, Touch ID on the top button.

Around 9 inches.

Apple Pencil 2 compatibility.

A14

With this many people I think would love the iPad mini, as it is now practically the size of an iPhone 12 Pro Max, and, with the reduced bezels, the size of the iPad mini would be similar to the current iPad mini.
☝?

I would add having full cell capabilities, but that's a pipe dream, I know.

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
People forget that the iPad mini is not the same aspect ratio as the iPhone. So comparing screen sizes isn't as straightforward as it once was.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It is a little more than one inch difference (6.7 vs. 7.9). In the photo, side by side, the difference can be seen.?
We don’t need to eyeball, we have the numbers. (And you can’t compare diagonal lengths of screens with different aspect ratios.) The surface area of the iPhone pro Max’s screen is 57% of the iPad mini’s.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
It's hard to envisage the iPad Mini keeping the same design if only because of apple pencil. It makes no sense for it NOT to support Apple pencil 2, hence a design refresh in line with the Air 4

Reactions: New York

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Isn’t that what sidecar does? Although in this case I remember I didn’t like tiny graphic tablets or tiny editing screens, regardless of the small use case.
While sidecar can add an iPad as an additional screen, there are features found with graphic tablets that could be added via software to some extent to make it a more natural extension of the Mac.

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
The other day watching a video on Disney+ on my mini and realized that with the aspect ratio of the video, the mini and my iPhone XR is pretty close to me. Made me almost just use the XR since the speakers are much better on it than the mini. I guess if someone primarily watches videos that has black bars on the top and bottom on the mini, the screen size in this case is pretty close between mini and the pro max (any large size iPhones).

That said, for reading-wise, I prefer the screen ratio and the amount of full screen content on the mini vs my XR. I definitely feel more cramped when web surfing or using and full screen apps on the XR vs the mini.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
Not sure if its been talked about, but I if they go with the new design, I wonder where they'll put the volume buttons (note that pencil 2 is slightly shorter, but not short enough to also accommodate the additional buttons)

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 11.23.24.png

Last edited:

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
On the opposite side, I guess.
That's where the smart cover or any other accessory/stand would attach.

My guess is it would be on the same side but they would move the pencil magnets down so the pencil sits close to the bottom of the mini.

Edit:

Thinking about it more, it's a tight fit and they'd have to keep the length at least the same as the current iPad mini. The current bezels of the mini are huge so just going for the same aspect ratio as the iPad Pro 11" or iPad Air 4 would probably not be enough. Maybe they'll keep the hight and we get an aspect ratio closer to 3:2 or they can just increase the overall size.

Otherwise they can always put the buttons on the top or come up with another solution.

Last edited:

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
On the opposite side, I guess.

That's where the smart cover or any other accessory/stand would attach.

My guess is it would be on the same side but they would move the pencil magnets down so the pencil sits close to the bottom of the mini.

Edit:

Thinking about it more, it's a tight fit and they'd have to keep the length at least the same as the current iPad mini. The current bezels of the mini are huge so just going for the same aspect ratio as the iPad Pro 11" or iPad Air 4 would probably not be enough. Maybe they'll keep the hight and we get an aspect ratio closer to 3:2 or they can just increase the overall size.

Otherwise they can always put the buttons on the top or come up with another solution.
I had the same though process here, they could put it on the opposite side but that would obstruct stands/accesories. At the same time, Apple might have data that shows the iPad mini is mostly in the candybar format so who really knows. They could put it on top next to the lock button, but AFAIK Apple has never done that in any of their products, it could result in many accidental clicks.

I agree the aspect ratio will most definitely be changed, the mini is already the perfect shape, I hope they make the display bigger.

Another factor is holding the device with the pencil attached, I don't have a mini to compare at the moment. It almost makes me wonder if they will do a compromise and use the Air 4 form factor, but with lightning and the Apple Pencil 1 instead.

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
In the end it looks like we won't have an ipad mini 6 anytime soon, really pisses me of.
2 days until March 23rd, could be press releases, or invites to an event, then there is the april rumor. But yeah if none of these pans out then its probably not happening until at least October.

• Sad
Reactions: Barsal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.