Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kshitijraina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
New Delhi, India
I have a powerful desktop at home for all my work and I needed something portable to carry for meetings and work. I work in a digital agency and my job is to work on the business side of things. I am mostly involved with excel, word and powerpoint. I use few project management software and at times I need to check website for development purpose (NO CODING). I also need to use a lot of public printers for printing.

I am confused between buying an iPad or laptop and is this the right time to buy or to wait for the new ipad/Macbook launching in 2022?

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
I have a powerful desktop at home for all my work and I needed something portable to carry for meetings and work. I work in a digital agency and my job is to work on the business side of things. I am mostly involved with excel, word and powerpoint. I use few project management software and at times I need to check website for development purpose (NO CODING). I also need to use a lot of public printers for printing.

I am confused between buying an iPad or laptop and is this the right time to buy or to wait for the new ipad/Macbook launching in 2022?
Of course everyone has different needs and wants for a daily work device, but I’ve been using the 12.9” iPad Pro for the past 2 years, a 2018 and I upgraded to an M1 version this year. I love it, mainly because it’s so easy to go from work to entertainment. I‘ve often used it in presentations to show photos or jump online, which is easy to do when you get the cellular version. That’s probably the best thing about it if you are out and about meeting with customers. You do have to learn how to use multi-tasking windows, but I just can’t see going back to an MBA or MBP at any time in the future.

JDnLex

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2014
I agree with @jmgregory1 that everyone has different needs and wants. Subtle or not-so-subtle nuances of a particular device can give a particular user a vastly different experience on two equally capable devices.

I have a 2018 12.9” iPad with magic keyboard and a 2020 M1 MacBook Air. While MS Office is available on the iPad and has been greatly improved over the years, I still find it a tedious and inefficient experience for anything but the most minor of edits, even with the magic keyboard. For me, the MacBook Air wins hands-down for office-type applications.

Web browsing and content consumption, of course, are both excellent on the iPad. I also prefer the iPad for note taking.

This may be more specific to my employer and it’s policies, but despite preferring the MacBook Air, it’s till the iPad that I carry around to meetings for note taking. Our policies are more permissible to iPads as BYOD devices than laptops, mainly because they are more locked down and considered “safer’. That’s not something I’m here to debate with any security experts, just relaying how it’s been justified to me. ?

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I have used iPhone/iPad to print to laser printers and Canon inkjet but they are on my LAN or used WiFi.
The harder part might be adding a printer and having the necessary app needed. Maybe AirPrint is a universal way around that.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I’d recommend the MacBook Air. I feel like if you’re going to be using this for work, you’re not going to want to have to fiddle with things and would just expect things to work. Also, not sure what project management software you use, but I’d imagine if you have to go with a specific software, it’s likely on macOS but probably not iPadOS. As others mentioned, printing isn’t as flexible either.

I’m able to use my iPad Pro 12.9 as my daily driver and computer, but I am not quick to recommend it to others who are deciding between an iPad and MacBook. I feel like it requires some certain desire/curiosity to experiment, have an all-in-one device (tablet + laptop), and a willingness to accept that you might have to work differently on an iPad compared to what you’re used to. Not to mention, the MBA is cheaper compared to the iPad + Magic Keyboard + Apple Pencil setup.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria

Fact - you are involved with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, and you need to print to public printers. Questions:
Do you need to do all this work while away from your powerful desktop? If yes, then chose the MacBook.
Do you just want to carry an iPad or MacBook to meetings to present? If yes, then chose the iPad.

Of course you can do Excel, Word, and PowerPoint on an iPad if you have Office 365 already, but printing might be a problem.

Reactions: kshitijraina

kshitijraina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
New Delhi, India
Fact - you are involved with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, and you need to print to public printers. Questions:
Do you need to do all this work while away from your powerful desktop? If yes, then chose the MacBook.
Do you just want to carry an iPad or MacBook to meetings to present? If yes, then chose the iPad.

Of course you can do Excel, Word, and PowerPoint on an iPad if you have Office 365 already, but printing might be a problem.

Yes, I have been thinking on that very same line, I just didn't frame it as well as you did. You are right that I will not make excel on the ipad moreover show the excel, word etc using the iPad. A bit of office 365 editing on the go is what I will do with the iPad.

As for printing as others have said if Air print is available, then great else I will have to find a work around that.

Reactions: JDnLex and vddobrev

kshitijraina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
New Delhi, India
I’d recommend the MacBook Air. I feel like if you’re going to be using this for work, you’re not going to want to have to fiddle with things and would just expect things to work. Also, not sure what project management software you use, but I’d imagine if you have to go with a specific software, it’s likely on macOS but probably not iPadOS. As others mentioned, printing isn’t as flexible either.

I’m able to use my iPad Pro 12.9 as my daily driver and computer, but I am not quick to recommend it to others who are deciding between an iPad and MacBook. I feel like it requires some certain desire/curiosity to experiment, have an all-in-one device (tablet + laptop), and a willingness to accept that you might have to work differently on an iPad compared to what you’re used to. Not to mention, the MBA is cheaper compared to the iPad + Magic Keyboard + Apple Pencil setup.

PM Software like Jira, Trello and Asana. For printing airprint else will figure something out. I don't think I will make printing a deciding factor for selecting between the two.

So from your own personal experience can you say that using the 12.9 inch ipad you don't miss using the laptop?

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
PM Software like Jira, Trello and Asana. For printing airprint else will figure something out. I don't think I will make printing a deciding factor for selecting between the two.

So from your own personal experience can you say that using the 12.9 inch ipad you don't miss using the laptop?

I don’t miss the laptop at all. I much prefer the iPad, have always dreamed of making it my all-in-one main device, and this is the first year I feel that I’ve been able to switch to iPad without seriously missing anything about having macOS. Every year, the iPad seems to become more capable, and with M1 + Magic Keyboard + Thunderbolt 4 + Safari Extensions + flash player being retired, I feel there’s very few things I can’t do that I was doing on my MBP. And the things I was doing on my MBP, I enjoy doing more on the iPad.

I’ve barely touched my MBP except on rare occasion when I need to do things I can’t do on my iPad (torrents, test proctoring software). Otherwise, I find the iPad Pro is more versatile, more fun to use, and generally works better than any computer I’ve ever used (I’ve never tried an Apple Silicon computer)

I think the iPad feels more futuristic in general, but especially compared to the MBA. FaceID, ProMotion, brighter screen (both in SDR and HDR settings), mini-LED, being able to use as a tablet/laptop/writing pad, touch input. I’ve been nothing but happy switching to the 2021 iPad Pro as my computer.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
You didn’t mention whether you’d be using the iPad for all the other things an iPad is great at. If you’d primarily use it for MS Office apps and checking websites, and only for business, then get the MacBook Air. If you want an iPad for personal iPad stuff, and you want it to double for your business tasks, then an iPad would work.

blen

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Spreadsheets are abysmal on iPad, practically unusable. Multitasking will also be so much better on the Air.

You’ll be so much faster with Jira/Trello/Asana on Mac also.

kshitijraina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
New Delhi, India
You didn’t mention whether you’d be using the iPad for all the other things an iPad is great at. If you’d primarily use it for MS Office apps and checking websites, and only for business, then get the MacBook Air. If you want an iPad for personal iPad stuff, and you want it to double for your business tasks, then an iPad would work.
Oh yes, definitely. I will for other purposes as well. Content consumption, games etc. See the point is that for those things 11inch iPad will also work I guess. The reason for 12.9 is the real estate that I can use for work related stuff.

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014

This is easy perhaps. You list several software products that you need to use - can you run those on the Mac? If yes, can you ALSO run them on the iPad? Can you print from the iPad to the printers you need to use?

If you can't do your work from the iPad then no matter how cool it is, it's not an option.

If you can work from either, then it's really up to you. For example, how does the iPad with the magic keyboard thing work on your lap? Is that something you care about? etc etc etc...

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Oh yes, definitely. I will for other purposes as well. Content consumption, games etc. See the point is that for those things 11inch iPad will also work I guess. The reason for 12.9 is the real estate that I can use for work related stuff.
Not only the real estate, but the great screen the 12.9 has. Don't look at the 11, pick the 12.9 you will thank me later. I have both, the 11" is tucked away, still thinking whether to sell it or to keep it...

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
For what you describe, I would definitely recommend the MacBook Air. While an iPad can do most of what you are talking about (Office, printing, presenting), I would be concerned that it will also involve compromise or workarounds to make it work. A desktop OS is going to be more flexible and handle the varying situations you are talking about with less fuss. iPadOS is going to limit you and likely be a source of frustration for your use cases.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Yes, I have been thinking on that very same line, I just didn't frame it as well as you did. You are right that I will not make excel on the ipad moreover show the excel, word etc using the iPad. A bit of office 365 editing on the go is what I will do with the iPad.

As for printing as others have said if Air print is available, then great else I will have to find a work around that.
From my experience, “a bit of Office 365” is fine for an iPad with magic keyboard.

Where the iPad drops off, in comparison to a laptop or desktop, is working with multiple documents or multiple files at once. I can write an article on my iPad, but I can’t easily reference multiple sources or existing documents.

I have been using a 2018 iPad pro with magic keyboard as my exclusive portable (Mac Minis as a desktop) for a few years now. I find that I can do most things that I need to, but most also require a workaround / different workflow. With a new budget cycle coming up at work, I’ll be putting in for a MacBook air and iPad Mini, planning to use the iPad for brainstorm/sketching and handwritten notes in meetings when I don’t want the distraction that a full computer offers.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Is the main purpose of the device work related, or do you want a personal entertainment device that is good enough to do work on away from home? If it's the former, get the MacBook, if it's the later, get the iPad.

Is this going to be a personal use device as well, or just work related?

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
You can always get a cellular ipad (or tether it to your phone) and remote access your desktop with an app like Screens whenever and wherever you want as long as it is connected of course To the internet. That way you get access to desktop like apps/features if needed be on the go. Am going to be giving this a shot as my M1 MacBook Air has stopped working and will use screens app on my iPad Pro to connect to my IMac when out and out about if I need to.

You dont even needs the most expensive ipad as even the entry ipad is very capable.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I heard that Office on Mac isn’t also as good as on Windows.

So if that is your main use, then is a Windows laptop is the best choice?

However if you can remote access into a Windows machine (that is what I do with my iPad Pro), then you can run whatever you want ofcourse.

Last edited:

kshitijraina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
New Delhi, India
Is the main purpose of the device work related, or do you want a personal entertainment device that is good enough to do work on away from home? If it's the former, get the MacBook, if it's the later, get the iPad.

Is this going to be a personal use device as well, or just work related?
I have a desktop for all the heavy work. The iPad/laptop is meant for presentations of said files and at times editing those files. Nothing more.
Yes it will be a personal device.

kshitijraina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
New Delhi, India
I heard that Office on Mac isn’t also as good as on Windows.

So if that is your main use, then is a Windows laptop is the best choice?

However if you can remote access into a Windows machine (that is what I do with my iPad Pro), then you can run whatever you want ofcourse.
How practical is the remote access and convenient is it? I have heard a lot of people talk about this. Another user also mentioned it.

Can you explain a bit on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.