Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pixel26

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
If you need something portable and most of your work involves simple tasks then I recommend Ipad pro 12.9. You could connect keyboard if necessary and work on it as if its a normal laptop.

Reactions: vddobrev

chrismu

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2021
I tried to use an iPad as a laptop replacement and couldn't make it work. There are just too many instances where you are trying to do something, and it just isn't possible for some reason.

So, if you don't need Touch input, I would advise you to get the MacBook, even though, admittedly, the iPad hardware is way cooler.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
It sounds like the primary work device is a desktop computer. If that is the case, I see no issues using an iPP to supplement. I personally have a 27" iMac that I do most things on. But if I am away, the iPP can sufficiently perform most tasks. (I would likely not use it as a primary device for work.) And the iPP is much easier to use, while sitting on a couch, to check email, et al.

Reactions: kshitijraina

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I tried to use an iPad as a laptop replacement and couldn't make it work. There are just too many instances where you are trying to do something, and it just isn't possible for some reason.

So, if you don't need Touch input, I would advise you to get the MacBook, even though, admittedly, the iPad hardware is way cooler.

Personally, I don't need touch input. However, I certainly prefer it (at least for home use).

For work, I prefer a 15+" ThinkPad (matte display, built-in numpad) over any MacBook when away from desktop.

Reactions: Isengardtom

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
iPads (even with keyboard) cant replace laptops with all the iOS limitations, but for basic day to day tasks, reading and media consumption its more then fine.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
A cheaper iPad such as Mini, Air, or refurbished Pro is a much better option if you want to dip your toes into iPadOS. There’s nothing the Pro versions can do that the other ones can’t and the M1 did absolutely nothing to help. I don’t know why Apple couldn’t squeeze more battery life using the M1 as they did in the MacBook lineup but they didn’t. Apple will likely never implement new software to such an extreme it cripples the functionality of older iPads so you’re only as strong as your weakest link and I believe the current oldest supported iPadOS 15 device is the Mini 4 circa 2015.

It’s nice Apple supports older devices but I think 7+yrs is doing more harm than good for the ecosystem.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
A cheaper iPad such as Mini, Air, or refurbished Pro is a much better option if you want to dip your toes into iPadOS. There’s nothing the Pro versions can do that the other ones can’t and the M1 did absolutely nothing to help. I don’t know why Apple couldn’t squeeze more battery life using the M1 as they did in the MacBook lineup but they didn’t. Apple will likely never implement new software to such an extreme it cripples the functionality of older iPads so you’re only as strong as your weakest link and I believe the current oldest supported iPadOS 15 device is the Mini 4 circa 2015.

It’s nice Apple supports older devices but I think 7+yrs is doing more harm than good for the ecosystem.

With recent holiday sales, the price gap between M1 and previous gen Pros isn't that much.

As for battery life, with my typical settings, I get more than the 10 hour advertised battery life on the M1 iPad Pro 12.9". Meanwhile I've never reached the advertised 15 hours on the M1 MacBook Air for web browsing. Also, the MacBooks have bigger batteries than the iPad.

I don't think older hardware is hampering Apple's software development. Rather, they're probably not interested or ready to make changes just yet. I believe they decide on features they want to add first then choose the hardware cutoff based on the development roadmap.

Last edited:

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
How practical is the remote access and convenient is it? I have heard a lot of people talk about this. Another user also mentioned it.

Can you explain a bit on it.

You can basically just use an other computer from the iPad. It is similar to Cloud computing, except that it is your own computer that you are using and it is for free.

chrismu

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2021

The M1 is nothing new for the iPad, it is in some ways just a rebranded A14X, that's why there weren't any big battery life gains. MacBooks only showed a drastic difference because they went from Intel to Apple Silicon, which was not the case for the iPad.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
The M1 is nothing new for the iPad, it is in some ways just a rebranded A14X, that's why there weren't any big battery life gains. MacBooks only showed a drastic difference because they went from Intel to Apple Silicon, which was not the case for the iPad.
The one thing that is a drastic change on the 12.9” M1 iPad Pro is the screen. I previously used a 2018 12.9” iPP and when you compare screens side by side, the difference is huge. The only thing that the M1 contributed which is beneficial in day to day use is the 8gb of ram (16gb if you go for the high capacity storage). That eliminated most of the issues I experienced with Safari tabs and other apps needing to reload all the time.

Reactions: chrismu

chrismu

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2021
The one thing that is a drastic change on the 12.9” M1 iPad Pro is the screen. I previously used a 2018 12.9” iPP and when you compare screens side by side, the difference is huge. The only thing that the M1 contributed which is beneficial in day to day use is the 8gb of ram (16gb if you go for the high capacity storage). That eliminated most of the issues I experienced with Safari tabs and other apps needing to reload all the time.
Absolutely! As stated previously, I couldn't make it work for myself as my main device, but the screen was insanely good. I now use an 11 inch as a secondary device to my Mac, and it is definitely worse. Very happy to have that display on the new Macbooks too! It isn't even about HDR for me, just the blacks look so much better.

Reactions: jmgregory1

PlayUltimate

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
was at a client's today using the iPP to screen share onto a display using AirPlay. Worked brilliantly. I was doing flowcharts using an Apple Pencil that the client could see as we discussed. Worked basically like a whiteboard but with more flexibility and I could save everything to work on later. Was quite happy. (fwiw, can't do that quite as easily on an MacBook.)

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Ok great. Btw are you talking about apps like anydesk?

Or Jump Desktop. Or Splash Desktop. These are all great remote apps that take the usability of an iPad to the next level. As long as you have PC or Mac at home or some other location, you're all set.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Or Jump Desktop. Or Splash Desktop. These are all great remote apps that take the usability of an iPad to the next level. As long as you have PC or Mac at home or some other location, you're all set.

I have both (and TeamViewer) and give Jump a big thumbs up. I use it between my iPads and Win11 devices (and between Win11 devices themselves). One-time cost, works great.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I have tried both and on Black Friday I bought a 13" M1 MBP to replace the 12.9" IPP/Magic keyboard that I had been using for a little over a year. For everyday office type stuff, the IPP worked fine. If you do a lot of spreadsheet work, the IPP is not optimal. Note taking with a pencil can be fun and quite productive if you use an app that allows you to annotate your typed notes and on pdf files etc.

My one big complaint with IPP as a everyday portable laptop is that neither of the keyboards are very robust. The fabric/plastic construction is very prone to wear, fraying and generally is not going to hold up to taking in and out of a bag numerous times every day for 2 or 3 or more years. That is the one big reason I went back to a MBP, it is just a much more robust package that I can trust for a number of years. The IPP itself is a beast but the accessories lack.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
My one big complaint with IPP as a everyday portable laptop is that neither of the keyboards are very robust.
I have never been a fan of keyboard cases. I have my iPP in a Zugu Case and carry a Apple Magic keyboard in my bag. The keyboard is light enough and small enough to be relatively unobtrusive but handy if needed.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
You should consider if battery life is a factor as well.
I do all my work on a 12.9 pro M1 (graphic designer) so it is feasible, but the battery life is not as good as the Air.

FranApple

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
I’ve been happily using an iPad Pro with a smart folio keyboard and it’s gone off without a hitch. I think this is highly dependent on what you do with your computer. Anything that doesn’t require highly specialized apps will be perfectly fine on an iPad. And like others have said, just remote into a full on desktop if you need to. Couldn’t be easier and you still get to enjoy the amazing form factor and touch experience of the iPad.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
I’ll chime in. I currently use an M1 12.9 as my laptop. I have an iMac at home for my desktop needs. Been a month with the ipp setup.

Pros

Looks futuristic and dope.
Slim.
XDR screen (even though the blooming is a little noticeable.
Speakers are nice

Cons

The battery life isn’t good.
Tab refresh is insane. I like a lot of tabs open but even with 5-6 tabs, they constantly refresh all the time.
Expensive. Sure it’s fun to use but at what cost? My set up ran $1518 (MK, 128gb Wi-Fi model, pencil, case and tempered glass) where the air can be bought for $780 right now. Or a few hundred away from the 14 MacBook Pro.

I will be returning the iPad. I’ll pick up an Air or Pro and an iPad Air 4th gen.

FranApple

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
I’ll chime in. I currently use an M1 12.9 as my laptop. I have an iMac at home for my desktop needs. Been a month with the ipp setup.

Pros

Looks futuristic and dope.
Slim.
XDR screen (even though the blooming is a little noticeable.
Speakers are nice

Cons

The battery life isn’t good.
Tab refresh is insane. I like a lot of tabs open but even with 5-6 tabs, they constantly refresh all the time.
Expensive. Sure it’s fun to use but at what cost? My set up ran $1518 (MK, 128gb Wi-Fi model, pencil, case and tempered glass) where the air can be bought for $780 right now. Or a few hundred away from the 14 MacBook Pro.

I will be returning the iPad. I’ll pick up an Air or Pro and an iPad Air 4th gen.

Try not using the MK. I got that and hated it. Returned it and got the smart folio keyboard instead. Battery life instantly improved, the whole thing doesn’t feel nearly as heavy and bulky.

kshitijraina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
New Delhi, India
Thank you very much for all your valuable inputs. Today I pulled the trigger on the ipad pro 12.9. Hopefully it should help me get through with my requirements, else it will be a very expensive waste as here in India its for around $1600 just for the - 256gb wifi.

FranApple

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Thank you very much for all your valuable inputs. Today I pulled the trigger on the ipad pro 12.9. Hopefully it should help me get through with my requirements, else it will be a very expensive waste as here in India its for around $1600 just for the - 256gb wifi.

Congrats, you’ll love it. Just remember you‘ll have to adjust your mindset a little bit to accomplish certain tasks. But, once you get accustomed to the iPad workflow, you should be good to go.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I have a powerful desktop at home for all my work and I needed something portable to carry for meetings and work. I work in a digital agency and my job is to work on the business side of things. I am mostly involved with excel, word and powerpoint. I use few project management software and at times I need to check website for development purpose (NO CODING). I also need to use a lot of public printers for printing.

I am confused between buying an iPad or laptop and is this the right time to buy or to wait for the new ipad/Macbook launching in 2022?

I feel that with your use case of office apps and lots of printing a traditional MacBook Air or Pro would suit you best.

Reactions: capathy21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.