Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerAlex73

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
Hi All.

First sorry for my bad English, i am a German guy an English is not my native language.

Tomorrow I must return my fourth iPad Pro because of pixel errors. My first iPad Pro was an 11” iPad which hat uneven back-light, the right side in portrait mode was darker then the rest.
The second iPad was an 12,9” iPad, same shadows, not so bad as the 11” but noticeable.
Then I tested another 11” iPad, same Problem with the uneven back-light and the shadow was even worse than the first one. The third iPad was my second 12,9” and after 3 Weeks I find the pixel errors, they were not there from the beginning.
Now I must return my iPad again, and I don’t know what to do, get another 11” and hope for a better screen or another 12,9” again. I am absolut frustrated, never I had such problems with Apple products.

Question: can u look at your screens and check the back-light and post the Result here?

Btw. I was in an Apple-Store here in Germany and all of the 11” iPads had the same uneven back-light, some more, some less and the 12,9” do way more better.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings, Alex.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Could it be possible it’s just the iPad’s viewing angles that’s messed up? When you tilt the device the brightness varies.

I had an iPad Pro where the top right corner of the display was slightly darker when looking at the device perfect king straight, but upon tilting the display it balances out.

I checked the backlighting of it and it looked even when looking straight on though.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
You are either the unluckiest apple customer, or perhaps you are convincing yourself there is something wrong when there isn’t. I dunno. Without a pic of all these screen defects you’re talking about, it’s really hard to give an informed opinion. Best i can say is to keep returning them until you get one you like...or perhaps show someone what you think is wrong and get a second opinion. You just might find you are obsessing too much and seeing things that aren’t really defects. I dunno what else to say. I haven’t seen any such screen issues on my 11” ipad pro or any other one i have seen at the apple store or elsewhere. Good luck tho.

GerAlex73

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
Hi All.

A friend of mine was in Munich in a Store of a certified Apple seller. They said they know the issue with the uneven back-light and all of the iPads Pro 2018 had this Problem. Not my words, but I think it is possible.

Attached Pic my first iPad Pro 11”.

Greetings, Alex.
photo_2018-11-24_21-08-46.jpg

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I wonder if there is an update that will fix it? I remember having a screen problem with an older iPad. Later Apple fixed the problem with an update.

GerAlex73

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
I wonder if there is an update that will fix it? I remember having a screen problem with an older iPad. Later Apple fixed the problem with an update.
I think it is an hardware problem, i dont think it is possible to fix this with an software update, but i am not Apple. :)

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
8695732F-22CD-46E2-81DF-658E913F56CE.jpeg
View attachment 812760
Hi All.

A friend of mine was in Munich in a Store of a certified Apple seller. They said they know the issue with the uneven back-light and all of the iPads Pro 2018 had this Problem. Not my words, but I think it is possible.

Greetings, Alex. View attachment 812758

All? Um, not on my new 11” ipad pro. It has totally even backlight.

Last edited:

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I think it is an hardware problem, i dont think it is possible to fix this with an software update, but i am not Apple. :)

Could be. I returned my IPP 10.5 because of a dead pixel. My iPad 3rd gen had a huge line going across it right after an OS update and I returned it. Later Apple released an update to fix it. Who knows? :) Good luck

Reactions: GerAlex73

Bpmd

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2015
My 11" had it the same as your photo. My wife's has it, but it's not as bad. Every 11" I've seen on display in stores have it to some degree. Wouldn't surprise me at all if every 11" suffers from it and it just doesn't bother some people (like my wife).

I returned mine, and I'm considering trying a 12.9" tomorrow—if that's a bust then I'm skipping this gen.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
Hi All.

Greetings, Alex. View attachment 812758

Taking a photo of the screen looks very different from viewing with your eyes in person. The photo of the screen will ALWAYS appear uneven. No iPad (past models or new 2018 models) will ever appear paper white 100% perfect evenly lit edge-to-edge — not with the current LCD technology. As long as when you view it with your naked eyes and it looks mostly even while viewing straight-on, it should be OK.

I mentioned before in a few posts on this forum that my 1st generation iPad Pro 12.9-inch was a complete mess. The backlight was GLARINGLY bright in one corner, while having a streak of a warm shift down the center. I exchanged a few times and got variations of the same problems. This new 12.9-inch 2018 iPad Pro is LEAPS-AND-BOUNDS better. Having the 1st generation dog turd iPad Pro made me appreciate this new 2018 iPad Pro.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
View attachment 812760

All? Um, not on my new 11” ipad pro. It has totally even backlight.

LOL, I’m sorry but I laughed so hard at your post...

I’ve seen you countless times defend Apple or the new iPad Pro, a lot of your defenses are based on selfish experiences, not accounting other people’s experiences.

So I don’t believe anyone here should believe what you say now if you have the IQ to show us a screenshot to prove your iPad has no uneven backlighting. Clearly you don’t know how the issue even occurs.

And obviously screenshots do not show uneven backlighting.

Reactions: cardfan and Bpmd

GerAlex73

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
Taking a photo of the screen looks very different from viewing with your eyes in person. The photo of the screen will ALWAYS appear uneven. No iPad (past models or new 2018 models) will ever appear paper white 100% perfect evenly lit edge-to-edge — not with the current LCD technology. As long as when you view it with your naked eyes and it looks mostly even while viewing straight-on, it should be OK.

I mentioned before in a few posts on this forum that my 1st generation iPad Pro 12.9-inch was a complete mess. The backlight was GLARINGLY bright in one corner, while having a streak of a warm shift down the center. I exchanged a few times and got variations of the same problems. This new 12.9-inch 2018 iPad Pro is LEAPS-AND-BOUNDS better. Having the 1st generation dog turd iPad Pro made me appreciate this new 2018 iPad Pro.
I compared it to my ipad air 2, the air 2 was much better. The photo shows the actual conditions very well, if you compare the devices in the shop with the old 10.5" you can see the difference.

Reactions: tommi80

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I compared it to my ipad air 2, the air 2 was much better. The photo shows the actual conditions very well, if you compare the devices in the shop with the old 10.5" you can see the difference.

Be careful not to get ensnared in the continuous return loop because no iPad past or present is going to be perfect with the current LCD technology. The nearest thing to a perfectly even screen is an OLED display — which is not currently possible due to OLED cost, refresh speed and burn-in.

Reactions: seajewel

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
LOL, I’m sorry but I laughed so hard at your post...

I’ve seen you countless times defend Apple or the new iPad Pro, a lot of your defenses are based on selfish experiences, not accounting other people’s experiences.

So I don’t believe anyone here should believe what you say now if you have the IQ to show us a screenshot to prove your iPad has no uneven backlighting. Clearly you don’t know how the issue even occurs.

And obviously screenshots do not show uneven backlighting.

Whoa dude. Melancholy is the perfect name for you. You are one big sour puss arent ya? Did you not get what you wanted for Christmas or something? Lol.

Seriously. I had to laugh when you called me selfish. For what? Sharing my own experiences? On a forum? LOL. Um...okay. And excuse me for providing a counter point to the insane wave of bendgate hysteria in some previous posts. What you call selfish, i call a public service. The level of paranoia about bending ipads was laughable. And frankly causing irrational fear in potential buyers. So excuse me if I was providing a much needed dose of sanity.

I actually consider myself a rather empathetic fellow. I certainly don’t attack others as you have just done. Not that it bothers me one bit.

Cheers, and Happy New Year.

GerAlex73

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
Be careful not to get ensnared in the continuous return loop because no iPad past or present is going to be perfect with the current LCD technology. The nearest thing to a perfectly even screen is an OLED display — which is not currently possible due to OLED cost, refresh speed and burn-in.
That's right, but compare the older devices with the new pros, I think the older ones look better.

Reactions: tommi80

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I compared it to my ipad air 2, the air 2 was much better.
Apple sources the cheapest components because they need high margins.
A few generations back they needed customers, but not today because people are still buying everything regardless of quality and features.

Reactions: Aydy

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
That's right, but compare the older devices with the new pros, I think the older ones look better.

No, the older model iPads certainly do not look better — it’s not not even close. As written earlier, my 1st gen 12.9-inch iPad Pro was garbage in terms of build quality. Remember that Apple uses multiple vendors like LG and Samsung. That may be the reason for the display variation.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Whoa dude. Melancholy is the perfect name for you. You are one big sour puss arent ya? Did you not get what you wanted for Christmas or something? Lol.

Seriously. I had to laugh when you called me selfish. For what? Sharing my own experiences? On a forum? LOL. Um...okay. And excuse me for providing a counter point to the insane wave of bendgate hysteria in some previous posts. What you call selfish, i call a public service. The level of paranoia about bending ipads was laughable. And frankly causing irrational fear in potential buyers. So excuse me if I was providing a much needed dose of sanity.

I actually consider myself a rather empathetic fellow. I certainly don’t attack others as you have just done. Not that it bothers me one bit.

Cheers, and Happy New Year.

Uh oh, triggered. Anyway what a regurgitated response that was, way too similar to mine. Trying to use my username to get as close to a ‘personal attack’ as you can, because I called out your incompetence. Sad! But a screenshot does not display uneven backlighting. XD

You have no counterpoints other than you claim your device is perfect and the problem is with people, not Apple. You can’t comprehend that many people are encountering issues and you give everyone doubt, because you claim to have a perfect device. Yet you can not even prove it right that you have a perfect device, that’s the funny bit.

Also your last paragraph speaks for itself, it contradicts what you just said, especially in regards to your first paragraph.

But I honestly did laugh at your post though, that’s the truth, cuz I didn’t realize what kind of skewed logic that was. At least be sincere when you say you’re not bothered by this. You are, I called you out, and you are acting extremely offended. Your latest response can not deny that. Not that I expected this reaction from you, I just called you out, because no one should really take your word/logic because your device is perfect (and that other people’s issues are nonexistent), and you also don’t seem to understand what certain defects are. Basically I’m saying, you don’t know what you’re talking about, and if people go back and read your comments, it’s quite clear you can’t comprehend anything in regards to people’s issue with Apple or the iPad Pro.

And just because you have a perfect device, doesn’t mean everyone else will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Uh oh, triggered. Anyway what a regurgitated response that was, way too similar to mine. Trying to use my username to get as close to a ‘personal attack’, because I called out your incompetence. Sad! But a screenshot does not display uneven backlighting. XD

You have no counterpoints other than you claim your device is perfect and the problem is with people, not Apple. You can’t comprehend that many people are encountering issues and you give everyone doubt, because you claim to have a perfect device. Yet you can not even prove it right that you have a perfect device, that’s the funny bit.

Also your last paragraph speaks for itself, it contradicts what you just said, especially in regards to your first paragraph.

But I honestly did laugh at your post though, that’s the truth, cuz I didn’t realize what kind of skewed logic that was. At least be sincere when you say you’re not bothered by this. You are, I called you out, and you are extremely offended. Your latest response can not deny that. Not that I expected this reaction from you, I just called you out, because no one should really take your word/logic because your device is perfect (and that other people’s issues are nonexistent), and you also don’t seem to understand what certain defects are. Basically I’m saying, you don’t know what you’re talking about, and if people go back and read your comments, it’s quite clear you can’t comprehend anything in regards to people’s issue with Apple or the iPad Pro.

And just because you have a perfect device, doesn’t mean everyone else will.

Lol. Offended? Nah pal. Way off the mark. I was bored, so i responded to your absurdity. You called me out? Lol. Riiiight. I love my new ipad pro, so sue me. I don’t think people’s issues aren’t real. Some may be. But ....and this is a Biiig but...if you cannot aknowledge the craziness that has gone on since the launch of the new ipad pros, then you sir are the delluded one.

Yes, my ipad pro isnt bent. Neither are any of my artist friends. Neither are any of the ones on display in all the Apple stores in NYC...and yes, i’ve visited them all. Not one of the artists i follow on youtube have complained of bent ipads or crappy screens. They, like me, sing it’s praises.

I am sympathetic to people up to a point. But I’m sorry. If you buy 5 ipads in a row and say they have screen issues...or all of them are bent...but post no pics, YES, i am going to friggin question that. OCD is a real thing ya know. Some people will obsess endlessly about something the average person will take no notice to.

If something is legitamately wrong with your ipad, return it. Exchange it. But bendgate is NOT a thing. Not in the way it is being portrayed by some. It’s no more a defect than if you shatter your screen cause you drop your ipad. Yes, it’s a thin device. Yes, it will bend if you try to bend it. Just like your screen might crack if you throw it in a full backpack without a case on.

For the miniscule amount of ipad pros that have a slight, imperceptible bend out of the box...and it bothers you, again, return or exchange it. Real simple. People return apple items for the silliest of reasons sometimes, and Apple obliges. They will accept your return.

But you’ve got posters on this forum being swept up in this hysteria asking nervously if they should buy the new ipad pro or not...and you call me out for singing it’s praises? Why? Because i don’t buy into the hysteria? Because i love mine? Lol. And YES....perhaps provide a counter point to people like you...by telling that nervous potential buyer that it is perfectly fine to go ahead and buy the new ipad pro? Please.

Sorry buddy. I’ll say what i want. And i do know what i’m talking about.

Oh...and that picture i posted was in response to a poster who ASKED people to post pics of their screens. Duh. I was obliging them.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Lol. Offended? Nah pal. Way off the mark. I was bored, so i responded to your absurdity. You called me out? Lol. Riiiight. I love my new ipad pro, so sue me. I don’t think people’s issues aren’t real. Some may be. But ....and this is a Biiig but...if you cannot aknowledge the craziness that has gone on since the launch of the new ipad pros, then you sir are the delluded one.

Yes, my ipad pro isnt bent. Neither are any of my artist friends. Neither are any of the ones on display in all the Apple stores in NYC...and yes, i’ve visited them all. Not one of the artists i follow on youtube have complained of bent ipads or crappy screens. They, like me, sing it’s praises.

I am sympathetic to people up to a point. But I’m sorry. If you buy 5 ipads in a row and say they have screen issues...or all of them are bent...but post no pics, YES, i am going to friggin question that. OCD is a real thing ya know. Some people will obsess endlessly about something the average person will take no notice to.

If something is legitamately wrong with your ipad, return it. Exchange it. But bendgate is NOT a thing. Not in the way it is being portrayed by some. It’s no more a defect than if you shatter your screen cause you drop your ipad. Yes, it’s a thin device. Yes, it will bend if you try to bend it. Just like your screen might crack if you throw it in a full backpack without a case on.

For the miniscule amount of ipad pros that have a slight, imperceptible bend out of the box...and it bothers you, again, return or exchange it. Real simple. People return apple items for the silliest of reasons sometimes, and Apple obliges. They will accept your return.

But you’ve got posters on this forum being swept up in this hysteria asking nervously if they should buy the new ipad pro or not...and you call me out for singing it’s praises? Why? Because i don’t buy into the hysteria? Because i love mine? Lol. And YES....perhaps provide a counter point to people like you...by telling that nervous potential buyer that it is perfectly fine to go ahead and buy the new ipad pro? Please.

Sorry buddy. I’ll say what i want. And i do know what i’m talking about.

Oh...and that picture i posted was in response to a poster who ASKED people to post pics of their screens. Duh. I was obliging them.

You’re not doing a good job hiding it... but this side effect is quite the spectacle.

Yes, I called you out, not only here but in a couple other threads. But when it comes to posting a screenshot to prove you have perfect backlighting uniformity - you are just plain wrong. You continue to say you know what you’re talking about, but clearly you don’t.

Did you honestly believe when OP asked for pictures of people’s screens, that he actually meant to take a screenshot of what’s being displayed on the screen, and not take a picture of the entire device itself? Lol, like he literally posted an example of his device afterwards. And you replied directly to it with a pic of your own, how much more do you need me to shed light on your incompetence. Or do you not know what uneven backlighting is at all?

He clearly stated to look for uneven backlighting and uniformity issues, then to post the results here. Taking a screenshot of your display does not capture whether or not your screen has uniformity issues. With how smug you sounded to me, it’s hard for me not to laugh, I seriously can not contain my laughter if you continue this idea of yours.

And I don’t really want to discuss the other reason I called you out for, I don’t want to pointlessly argue with you about that, you’re hopeless in that regard. I just wanted to state publicly why no one should take your word/logic.

If you weren’t even competent enough to understand how to share results for backlighting uniformity, let alone understand what is uneven backlighting, then it’s hard to believe you can discover things as simple as a bend or warping. Or any defect at all.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
You’re not doing a good job hiding it... but this side effect is quite the spectacle.

Yes, I called you out, not only here but in a couple other threads. But when it comes to posting a screenshot to prove you have perfect backlighting uniformity - you are just plain wrong. You continue to say you know what you’re talking about, but clearly you don’t.

Did you honestly believe when OP asked for pictures of people’s screens, that he actually meant to take a screenshot of what’s being displayed on the screen, and not take a picture of the entire device itself? Lol, like he literally posted an example of his device afterwards. And you replied directly to it with a pic of your own, how much more do you need me to shed light on your incompetence. Or do you not know what uneven backlighting is at all?

He clearly stated to look for uneven backlighting and uniformity issues, then to post the results here. Taking a screenshot of your display does not capture whether or not your screen has uniformity issues. With how smug you sounded to me, it’s hard for me not to laugh, I seriously can not contain my laughter if you continue this idea of yours.

And I don’t really want to discuss the other reason I called you out for, I don’t want to pointlessly argue with you about that, you’re hopeless in that regard. I just wanted to state publicly why no one should take your word/logic.

If you weren’t even competent enough to understand how to share results for backlighting uniformity, let alone understand what is uneven backlighting, then it’s hard to believe you can discover things as simple as a bend or warping. Or any defect at all.

Oh...my....god. I just actually took the time & energy to look at your post history. Dude. You’ve got serious OCD issues. Posting pics of non existant bends and ripples. Every post of yours is an apple bashing post. Talking about your Moms defective apple watch. How you keep returning Apple products. yadda yadda yadda. Lol. Done exchanging with you. I know your type. Waste of energy arguing with someone with such a clear negative bias and agenda. Buh bye. But its been real fun typing this on my perfectly straight, unrippled 11” ipad pro. Heh heh heh

Last edited:

AlexiTQ

macrumors member
May 22, 2016
Hi All.

Greetings, Alex.
That looks normal, like the variation you see looks to be due to the viewing angles (which also tend to get exaggerated on camera).

GerAlex73

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
Today I picked up my new 11" Wi-Fi and it also has some shadows, but not as bad as the devices before, maybe I keep it.

Reactions: Greenmeenie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.