Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John_Blackthorne

macrumors member
May 4, 2024
Chiraq
I’m some guy on the internet, I never said you should be “punished”, I just don’t believe you and have no reason to care beyond that 🤷‍♂️

I did customer service long enough to know that everyone has a story about how much they babied their devices, and the vast majority are just liars trying to protect themselves or scam you.

There is no way holding the device bent it. It either was bent from the factory with the defect that Apple stated, or you bent it at some point without realizing it. Either way it’s not my problem years after the fact.
Like I said, nastiness. Awesome customer service skills--can see you went far, lol.

Reactions: zapmymac and ric22

returnZero

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2021
never knew that Gypsy's curse was real ... It seems to me that the only way to break the curse is to pass down the pie to either Microsoft or Google

Attachments

• RT83qqe.gif
    RT83qqe.gif
    869.4 KB · Views: 18

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
There is no way holding the device bent it. It either was bent from the factory with the defect that Apple stated, or you bent it at some point without realizing it. Either way it’s not my problem years after the fact.
If I remember correctly, the bend from the factory ended up being something like half of a dime’s diameter over the length of the iPad. SO, the bend Apple was talking about being acceptable could not really be noticed at a glance, you’d need a surface to compare it against.

And this is just the kind of situation that someone outside Apple testing would indicate if it’s even possible for an iPad to deform under it’s OWN weight, no external stressors at all.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If I remember correctly, the bend from the factory ended up being something like half of a dime’s diameter over the length of the iPad. SO, the bend Apple was talking about being acceptable could not really be noticed at a glance, you’d need a surface to compare it against.

And this is just the kind of situation that someone outside Apple testing would indicate if it’s even possible for an iPad to deform under it’s OWN weight, no external stressors at all.
I suspect that user got a bent iPad and somehow drew the conclusion that holding it caused it to bend. Given the weights and materials involved, there’s just no way that holding it caused it to bend itself. Simply not possible.

I’m not saying the iPad wasn’t bent, just pointing out that an aluminum and glass structure could deform under its own weight…of less than two pounds.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
This might be a dumb question as the answer could possibly be very obvious, but why would they not design these new iPad Pros to be made out of titanium? Is it just a cost thing? You'd think with the desire to go as thin as possible, but also as strong as possible, they would go the route of the iPhone Pro and Apple Watch Ultra.
Titanium is heavier. The most important part of the recent change was to reduce the weight. The thinness was just a side effect. You’ll notice the thinness briefly but will notice the weight every time.

The iPhone has a relatively think Titanium shell that provides hardness but most of the structural stiffness is from the aluminum frame inside. In the new iPad Pro, Apple added internal structures to stiffen it against bending.

Reactions: zapmymac

MacMikePro

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Orlando, FL
Titanium is heavier. The most important part of the recent change was to reduce the weight. The thinness was just a side effect. You’ll notice the thinness briefly but will notice the weight every time.

The iPhone has a relatively think Titanium shell that provides hardness but most of the structural stiffness is from the aluminum frame inside. In the new iPad Pro, Apple added internal structures to stiffen it against bending.
I see, I was thinking with how much lighter the iPhone 15 Pro got it was due to it being titanium, but yeah that makes sense. And yeah I don't know why I wrote "thin" when I definitely meant "light" as I know the reason the new Magic Keyboards do not work with older iPad Pros is due to weight. The only way they could add the function row without it tipping over was to make the iPad as light as possible so that's what we got.

McNoise

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
Housing stability and small size are not possible without compromises. Anyone complaining here should not be complaining that something breaks more quickly, but that the housing is not big and stable enough - but is that what you want? If you want one, you have to like the other. If you need more stability, you can realize this with a protective cover.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Never mind the 'official' bendgate affecting the 2018 Pro from new, I've seen many iPad's visibly bent just from carrying them around in a backpack. Sure, some people will say that this isn't looking after them properly, but I think it's reasonable to have some expectation of resilience to normal and predictable daily usage scenarios.
Tens of millions of unbent iPads and yet you have "...seen many iPad's visibly bent just from carrying them around in a backpack." I doubt your veracity.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I’m sure they’ve done a lot of testing. But making your largest tablet the thinnest device you’ve ever shipped just seems like a dangerous combo. More surface area=more stress points.

I bet it’ll be fine if in the keyboard case, but throwing this thing in a work bag or backpack naked just seems like a recipe for bending.

Especially because it’s aluminum and aluminum is a pretty malleable metal when it’s thin.
These are pricey high-end devices, not beaters for the K-12 crowd. It is reasonable to expect users not to abuse them. Similar to an expensive wine glass: they can break when misused, duh.

incidentallycheckout

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2024
Do people not understand that one of the reasons Apple puts so much effort into making them thin and light is that it's inevitable that they need to be put in a case? The thinner they start, the thinner they are after putting a case on them. That's literally built in to the design. None of these products (iPhone, iPad) are intended to be used without a protective case of some sort.
While I am a fan of it being thin (both iPad and iPhone) and I do use cases for both, I fully disagree with your assessment at the end there.

Apple talks about the beautiful design, which is totally hidden by a case. They are not making them with the intention of having them in cases.

• Love
Reactions: AgeOfSpiracles

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
Do people not understand that one of the reasons Apple puts so much effort into making them thin and light is that it's inevitable that they need to be put in a case? The thinner they start, the thinner they are after putting a case on them. That's literally built in to the design. None of these products (iPhone, iPad) are intended to be used without a protective case of some sort.
Not all cases do anything to protect from bending forces...

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
Housing stability and small size are not possible without compromises. Anyone complaining here should not be complaining that something breaks more quickly, but that the housing is not big and stable enough - but is that what you want? If you want one, you have to like the other. If you need more stability, you can realize this with a protective cover.
If Samsung can do it in a tablet as thin as this, so can Apple. It's all about reinforcing the weak points, which Apple inexplicably didn't bother to do in the past.

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2024
While I am a fan of it being thin (both iPad and iPhone) and I do use cases for both, I fully disagree with your assessment at the end there.

Apple talks about the beautiful design, which is totally hidden by a case. They are not making them with the intention of having them in cases.
Just 100% false. Apple doesn't live in fantasy world. They literally build and sell their own cases. You couldn't be more wrong.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I’m sure they’ve done a lot of testing. But making your largest tablet the thinnest device you’ve ever shipped just seems like a dangerous combo. More surface area=more stress points.

I bet it’ll be fine if in the keyboard case, but throwing this thing in a work bag or backpack naked just seems like a recipe for bending.

Especially because it’s aluminum and aluminum is a pretty malleable metal when it’s thin.
Apple laptops like all other finished goods are not pure aluminum, which anodizes upon exposure to oxygen in air. And the oxide is quite hard, not malleable. The aluminum used in Apple laptops are alloys, and Apple determines the properties that they want when they select the alloys to use. So a statement like "it’s aluminum and aluminum is a pretty malleable metal when it’s thin" is nonsensical, because they are aluminum alloys which may or may not be particularly malleable, bendable, etc. depending upon the alloy. Think about aircraft wings, for instance.

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Just 100% false. Apple doesn't live in fantasy world. They literally build and sell their own cases. You couldn't be more wrong.
Actually Cirillo is correct: "They are not making them with the intention of having them in cases." Just because they also sell cases does not mean the original device was not meant to also (visually and functionally) stand by itself without a case. Note that many users like me disdain the use of cases.

• Sad
Reactions: Cirillo Gherardo

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Like I said, nastiness. Awesome customer service skills--can see you went far, lol.
Users are liars, both in corporate and in retail. Not all users obviously, but a large enough percentage that if you don't realize this fact, then you're actually less effective at customer service. Little lies, big lies, believable lies, incredible lies, outright lies, lies by omission... the skill is how to navigate the lies such that both your employer and the customer is happy.

• Haha

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
Not true when dealing with a reflective surface. Just look at the screen when it's not turned on and the reflections will reveal even a minute distortion.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
1. I bought an Air first gen. I put it in a drawer under the passenger seat in my car over some other (flexible) crap. Took it out slightly bent in places. I had the nerve to take the tablet in the car unarmored!
If the iPad was sitting on top, that sounds like the seat had enough give that it was the weight of the person seated on it that caused the bend. I've tried storing a couple of things tall enough under my car seat to be surprised to discover just how much give the seat has and how much lower it sinks with a person in it.

Reactions: Tagbert

JSDK

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2024
bad logic, thats like saying no ford pinto blowup itself.

It can happen, petrol is no joke. But I've never stared at an iPad and suddenly seen it bend to one side or the other, without any touch. But of course, if you hold it tightly in your hand and twist it - then it cannot be ruled out that it will bend, or if you put it in a completely full backpack, where it is wedged between objects, or against your back. It can happen.

Reactions: bgillander

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
If the iPad was sitting on top, that sounds like the seat had enough give that it was the weight of the person seated on it that caused the bend. I've tried storing a couple of things tall enough under my car seat to be surprised to discover just how much give the seat has and how much lower it sinks with a person in it.

Very likely, the thing is the iPad 1 i had before getting the 1st gen Air was just fine in the same place.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Not true when dealing with a reflective surface. Just look at the screen when it's not turned on and the reflections will reveal even a minute distortion.
The variance tolerance for the iPad is 400 microns, that’s less than half a millimeter. A normal household-mirror made with float glass may have flatness tolerances as low as 9–14λ per inch (25.4 mm). So, if 25 mm is “good enough” for a mirror, with the iPad tolerance exceeding that, the reflections would reveal what a mirror does, something that looks like a perfectly acceptable reflection to human eyes.

• Wow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.