Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
The bending videos are out and it looks like they withstand quite a large amount if stress while not permanently deforming. And what it takes to permanently deform them looks severe (though, no one is measuring the pressure scientifically, so we don’t know exactly what level of energy is required over what amount of time). Though, I’m sure someone in the coming years will say that it was just “sitting on their desk” and got bent. Not saying that’s impossible, but then you have to factor in more esoteric scenarios in order to explain how something got bent while not being moved. Dark matter neutrino storm that whipped through their room perhaps?

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
The variance tolerance for the iPad is 400 microns, that’s less than half a millimeter. A normal household-mirror made with float glass may have flatness tolerances as low as 9–14λ per inch (25.4 mm). So, if 25 mm is “good enough” for a mirror, with the iPad tolerance exceeding that, the reflections would reveal what a mirror does, something that looks like a perfectly acceptable reflection to human eyes.
I think you're missing the point. To detect small variances you'd need to look at the device from an acute angle. Looking at it head on, like you would a mirror, would not show small variances, indeed.

Reactions: AgeOfSpiracles

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
I watched 2 videos Of people bending.

The amount of force to really bend, and not be able to unbend/rebend flat seems like a lot to me.

Of course, that’s all subjective to every individual, but I was pleasantly surprised at the iPad, seems worthy of the word upgrade in everything except 5G mm cell band removal.

I think people that have bought the new iPad will be pleasantly surprised and quite happy, I’d like to have a new one, but it’s not in my budget and my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9“ is working fine for me. Now, if Apple gimps the next ipados software version come this fall I’ll be pissed. ✌️🙏

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.